Strongly encouraged

Getting killed on the recruiting trail

I remember back in 2013, the excuses for Butch was "he didn't have enough talent. We recruited too many 3 stars under Dooley"

2017 Class is at 27 commits right now

5*- 1
4*- 4
3*- 22

81% of your class is made up of 3* players

Yeah I dont know what he was smoking saying we were on the right track for recruiting.....

THIS!!!!! AND look at the top 10 players from the state of tennessee and we have 3.....3!!!!

No I completely agree. Just pointing out that it isn't always the greatest measuring stick. Jones has recruited some 3* players that turned out to be excellent. Cam Sutton was a 3* IIRC. But, Jones also recruited Dontavius Blair.... so he's not hitting it out of the park every time but I do think their recruiting profile has some merit.

and................. Preston Williams

and..................Jalen Hurd

Dandre Payne
Daniel Bryant
Chris Weatherd
Charles Mosley

Amazing the amount of time that some of you put into making sure people know you're not happy with Tennessee football.

Reactions: 3 people
The MCB and the Vandy game were much the same players?

Glad to know we cant develop enough depth in 4 years to beat the bottom of the SECE, and people arent concerned about that.

Yeah I'm not sure it's a depth thing or development. Any team outside of Bama or Clemson when having a injury report that bad and that big (one of the worst I've seen here) and that consistent throughout the second half of the season would struggle. I don't care who you are. It's not just one game but the constant changing of players at various positions that cause inconsistent outcomes. The defense was one of the worst Ive seen second half of the season (and I endured the Dooley years) and it took a whole month to get semi healthy and still didn't beat Nebraska as badly as we would have if healthy (especially d-line).

You may think it's an excuse but damn it it's a pretty darn good one (especially considering how many players went down through out the season). This team healthy does not lose to either USCjr or Vandy and I'm 95% sure of it (nothing is ever 100%).

Keep thinking we need Alabama type depth. Cause nobody around has it except for Bama. I'd love to have that of course...

Reactions: 1 person
Pretty much

I just don't get the undying loyalty to a coach at the expense of the program itself when the coach is clearly underperforming relative to the expectations of a program of UTs caliber. The coach, unless they are a former player who has never coached anywhere else, will never love the school or program as much as we fans do.

Reactions: 3 people
I just don't get the undying loyalty to a coach at the expense of the program itself when the coach is clearly underperforming relative to the expectations of a program of UTs caliber. The coach, unless they are a former player who has never coached anywhere else, will never love the school or program as much as we fans do.

It's amazing to me the number of folks and level of blindness that is rampant at VN.

It's that the "others" want so desperately to believe all is well that they we'll turn a blind eye to actual results, and instead focus on signs or beliefs.

Heaven forbid anyone criticize the all knowing guy brought in from a mid level program with mid level results. Shockingly enough he is exceptionally mid level here.

"what I am most impressed with is the quality of young men Butch is recruiting."

Hmmmmm, could CBJ be following in the steps of CPF?? Great recruiter. Average field General?

How is he a great recruiter? How does this myth get perpetuated.

It truly is baffling

Exactly! It's not the University of Butch.

These people held the same beliefs about Dooley. Every pre-season it was the same thing.

2010, there were pics of the players running the steps at midnight for the 1st practice to be followed by "This is stuff of champions" type threads

2011, similar

2012 Dools double-downed with climbing Mt. LeConte with the team and holding off-site camp. Sh%t! We were winning the Super Bowl that season.

2013, The Volympics! Followed by threads of how team leadership will lead UT to Atlanta.

On and on! Fans grasp onto the slightest thing and leap several steps towards titles all the while ignoring what's happening between the goalposts on Saturday.

Reactions: 2 people
How is he a great recruiter? How does this myth get perpetuated.
Rivals had Tennessee going 5, 5, 15 nationally for 2014 through 2016 and then 10th so far for 2017. 247 said those classes were 7, 4, 14 and 11th over the same span. We all know that top ten nationally can, and does, still just mean middle of the pack in the SEC. The SEC is like this big reality distortion lens - you can be doing better than pretty much everyone else in the country (seriously, we are) and still be just sort of treading water in conference. Just look at how SEC-heavy the NFL draft is. Jones really is a successful recruiter so far; he just happens to be doing it in the embarrassment-of-riches conference.

As far as 2017, it's really a respectable class. If you were to look at it purely by recruiting grades, say the top half of our commits are sitting on offers from Alabama or Clemson or Michigan or Ohio State or some other perennial power - in addition to the two dozen other offers. The bottom half has offers from say Louisville or Wisconsin or Arkansas or Florida or Auburn. There's really only a couple where you'd think an offer was a big reach, going purely on who else wanted them to sign too.

Tennessee probably has to win the East this year though to keep from seeing a downturn in that recruiting. We got a couple years worth of recruits looking at Tennessee in 2014 and 2015 as the up and coming thing, just like Kirby Smart is getting that now. But it's getting into "if it's going to ever happen we're going to start seeing it happen now" time.

I guess it's a good thing only about 10% of the roster is on the field at the same time, lol.

Really, would you feel like the players were better if they got a bump from 3* to 4*? Does that increased star rating mean they are instantly better?

If so, you should feel better about several of our players. We had a player rise over 600 spots in the rankings a couple days ago. It's hard to imagine how much better he must've gotten after a bump like that.

He's not the only one who got better after the recent re-rankings either.
You're assuming they just arbitrarily bump stars. Solon Page got a huge bump (still only 3 star) but it was directly attributed to his on the field performance.

Butch has not shown that he can work 3star players into all conference players. In fact, the higher star talent has been under utilized. I'm convinced that Kamara will go down as the biggest waste in UT history.

Amazing the amount of time that some of you put into making sure people know you're not happy with Tennessee football.

A lot of Vol fans (used loosely) are "what have you done for me lately" people. They would rather keep the program in turmoil by changing coaches and flipping the roster at the first sign of not meeting the personal expectations they set for the team. Not sure how they would feel about that philosophy if it were their job we were talking about. Flame away boys!

Reactions: 2 people
You probably saw 10-2 or 11-1 last year also so not putting much confidence in your eyesight lol

why wasn't that realistic? we returned 18 starters. played all but 3 games in state. SR qb.

elsewhere....1st year coaches and qb's at USCe, UGA...1st year coach at VT and FL breaking another new QB with questions all over their offense. MO, KY, Vandy all not very good. very probable loss to Bama and a toss up in college station.

even if you were more conservative during the pre season...after beating UGA and FL...10-2, or better, was definitely on the table.

nobody, and i mean nobody saw 8-4, with losses to USCe and Vandy. the most pessimistic people likely had our 8-4 record with going 0 fer during the gauntlet, and winning the rest, or winning 1 of the 4 and losing to VT.

going back now and saying expectations weren't realistic, is revisionist history.

VN Store

Back