Strength Program During the Shutdown

SNAFU

Since the shutdown, Cade Mays has added 50 pounds to his max on bench press. “Cade, right now, is more focused and more driven. He’s stronger and in better shape than at any other point in his career,” Driscoll said (Devin Driscoll-D1 Training Knoxville).

Guarantano is up to 235 pounds after playing at 215 in 2019. “His size is really going to surprise people,” Driscoll said.

Cooper Mays, listed at 290 pounds on the Vols’ spring roster, is now at 300 pounds. Driscoll said Pope “looks like a frickin’ hoss right now.”

Driscoll doesn’t have a relationship with Vols head coach Jeremy Pruitt but is close with Fitzgerald and the current Tennessee strength staff, including A.J. Artis. Fitzgerald had given Driscoll insight into what players needed before he left for the Giants. Throughout the break, Driscoll and Artis have been in consistent contact about working individually with players.
-from The Athletic

As far as S & C & especially the S part. If you have access to a solid workout center the focus should be there. This pandemic has shutdown any outside distractions even vacations. So for those who have access and the drive/ want to and the coaching that follows up. Those teams will have the upper hand.
The more mature teams will thrive. The one's with poor organization or in a coaching change year IMO will have a up hill climb.

Thanks for reading! Here's a link to the full piece if you want to see more on this. The plan they put together when the gym was forced to shut down sounds like a huge advantage for guys who participated.
I am a member of The Athletic and count you as one of my favorite contributors. I don't think it's my place to post a full article of yours but rather pick out some highlights. Maybe this will motivate others to join and follow your work as well. Thanks for what you do.

Since the shutdown, Cade Mays has added 50 pounds to his max on bench press. “Cade, right now, is more focused and more driven. He’s stronger and in better shape than at any other point in his career,” Driscoll said (Devin Driscoll-D1 Training Knoxville).

Guarantano is up to 235 pounds after playing at 215 in 2019. “His size is really going to surprise people,” Driscoll said.

Cooper Mays, listed at 290 pounds on the Vols’ spring roster, is now at 300 pounds. Driscoll said Pope “looks like a frickin’ hoss right now.”

Driscoll doesn’t have a relationship with Vols head coach Jeremy Pruitt but is close with Fitzgerald and the current Tennessee strength staff, including A.J. Artis. Fitzgerald had given Driscoll insight into what players needed before he left for the Giants. Throughout the break, Driscoll and Artis have been in consistent contact about working individually with players.
-from The Athletic
Great update... I’ve been curious about what the players have been doing during this odd period. I figured the coaches had a plan laid out for them before they left campus, but staying on top of it is another thing given they aren’t being as closely monitored.

Reactions: sanglemangle

VN Store

Back