Strength of the team: run or pass?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Maybe we will see UT run the hurry up offense more early in the game. It is evident that Clausen seems to get in a better rhythm that way. I am sure it won't happen and we will continue to try an run the ball. It is weird though that Fulmer still insists on trying to establish the run but in the OT's when the game was on the line we went to our strength: throwing the ball.

What I've never been able to figure out is why the run took over at Tennessee?? In the late 80s and early 90s we were known as Wide Reciever U and had a reputation for having a dynamic, balanced, pro style offense that put people in the NFL. The offensive coordinator was none other than Phil Fulmer.

Remember that Fulmer is the guy who made the likes of Jeff Francis, Andy Kelly and Heath Shuler look like Brett Favre. The know how is in his head somewhere. And I know Sanders knows how to do it too since he was backing up Jeff Francis.

Maybe they should resort to hypnosis prior to game time.

Great point GAVol. I'll tell you want happened to this team. Two things. Number one, we have had some special running backs that are now playing on Sundays. Second is 1998. I believe that after Fulmer went 13-0 with a first year starter at QB and a conservative game plan he decided that has to be the best way. Instead of him dictating the style he wants the team to play, he needs to get back to letting the determing factor be the strengths/talents of the team.

Vol fans, including myself, HAVE to be realistic and accept the fact that national championships aren't an every year occurrence. I would rather us get back to concentrating on being the best in the SEC year after year than dreaming about the MNC. CPF can (and HAS) outcoached most of the coaches in the SEC on a consistent basis. If we can take care of the SEC, the MNC will take care of itself.

Agreed. My goal every year is to win the SECC. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake. You have to be very good and very lucky to win a national title. It took us 47 years to get another one after 51.

Isn't it amazing how spoiled we have gotten?

And even more amazing how quickly we forget that our coach was Coach of the Year only FIVE years ago. Some football teams and coaches look at OUR team and can only dream of being a nationally recognized team. I am PROUD to be a Vol fan and I LOVE our head coach and our players. I have been through a lot worse seasons than this and even last year. I still bleed orange. GO VOLS!!

Freak and Lady:

I think you might be misconstruing the expectations of most vol fans. The bar is not the national championship. The expectation is for consistency and, as you mentioned, competing for COFERENCE championships.

How many SEC championships has Fulmer won? (TWO! Assuming we don't win it this year, he has won 2 in 11 years. That is not exactly dominant, esp. when considering that Tenn has had the most players drafted of any team over the last 10 years. REMEMBER, we have had the most players drafted of anyone in the NATION, but we only managed to win two CONFERENCE titles.)

I have NEVER heard anyone say that because we are not undefeated or winning NCs that Fulmer stinks. That is an argument inserted by defenders of the coaches FOR those who are peeved. The result is that they call fans unrealistic. How? Because the defenders made up their own argument.

For me it's all about consistency and process. I could frankly care less about the NC. Too much out of our control and everyone loses games - even when they are super talented.

Question: Assuming we don't win the SEC this year or next year, would you think that 2 SEC titles in 12 years is 1) UNBELIEVABLE, 2) GREAT, 3) NOT BAD, 4) BELOW PAR, 5) UNACCEPTABLE?

ALWAYS REMEMBER, we had as much talent is anyone in the country over, essentially, THE ENTIRE TIME PERIOD. My answer: 5) UNACCEPTABLE!

Vol-Star

P.S. Fulmer seems like a good guy; he is a good recruiter; but he can't coach, hire good coaches, or get much out of his players.

How many SEC championships has Coach Fulmer competed in? I know winning is the ultimate goal, but you have to give the guy some credit for GETTING there too.
Don'tcha??? :rolleyes:

Well, I answered my own question by looking up how many SECGs CPF had competed in as head coach. It's 3. Two of which his team won. But UT has been a bunch of bowl games since he took over.

I guess 3 SECC games in 10 years is not terrible, but I think 4 or 5 would be much better. We have played in a bowl game every year, but looked terrible in too many of them. What is Fulmer's bowl record? I am too lazy to look it up right now.

Bowl Record:

93 Citrus vs Penn St - (L) Blown Out
94 Gator Bowl vs Va Tech - (W)
95 Citrus Bowl vs Ohis St - (W) One of the 3 or 4 biggest wins for Fulmer
96 Citrus Bowl vs N'Western - (W)
97 Orange Bowl vs Braska - (L) Blown Out
98 Fiesta vs FSU - (W) NC!!!
99 Fiesta vs Braska - (L) Blown Out
00 Cotton Bowl vs K ST - (L) Blown Out
01 Citrus Bowl vs Mich - (W)
02 Peach Bowl vs Maryland - (L) Blown Out

Record 5-5

All five losses were complete egg-layers - we were destroyed.

Vol-Star

Bowl games shouldn't count as a measuring stick. Too many BS teams get invited to play in bowl games. They are nothing but moneymakers (supposedly) for host cities and for the conferences. I am guessing, but I think that we have been to a bowl game every year since 1980 except one.

Because of that and the BCS, I think that explains our bowl game record. The only thing that they have had to play for, other than pride, is to benefit recruiting and to bolster their stock in the NFL.

VN Store

Back