Strategies For Increasing Attendance

creekdipper

Since attendance has been declining over the past three tears, what strategies (aside from winning) would you like to see tried (new or old)?

What successful ideas have been implemented at other schools to increase interest and expand the fan base?

Last edited:
Since attendance has been declining over the past three tears, what strategies (aside from winnib) would you like to see tried (new or old)?

What successful ideas have been implemented at other schools to increase interest and expand the fan base?
I don't think there's a workaround, other than winning. Look at what MSST and SC have done to increase their attendance, and these are programs that were historical SEC cellar dwellers. But no matter how much Vic and Dawn engaged in the community, it was ultimately their programs' success on the court that drove their attendance spike.

Tennessee doesn't even need to promote. Once the team starts winning again and stops losing games stupidly to the likes of Vandy or Alabama, then it will be easier for Kellie to appeal to the fanbase to come support the team.

I don't think there's a workaround, other than winning. Look at what MSST and SC have done to increase their attendance, and these are programs that were historical SEC cellar dwellers. But no matter how much Vic and Dawn engaged in the community, it was ultimately their programs' success on the court that drove their attendance spike.

Tennessee doesn't even need to promote. Once the team starts winning again and stops losing games stupidly to the likes of Vandy or Alabama, then it will be easier for Kellie to appeal to the fanbase to come support the team.

As true as this seems promoting needs to be done. Geno complains all the time about his attendance and his fans got bored with winning. I think the term he used was the fans were “spoiled” or “spoiled brats”...

Dawn and Vic’s winning def has helped however SC has had low ticket prices for years and even give aways and family nights and school events where groups come. This is something the LVs can do once or twice a season to get the community to rally behind Kellie and even have a question and answer session with the players. Vic has been known to sit with fans and hand out candy like Gary Blair. He has also been known to walk around campus personally inviting people to games. There has been videos posted of Dawn standing on campus chatting it up with fans inviting them and driving around in a golf cart acting goofy and rolling up on people.

Military nights are always a great way to honor our armed forces!

Around here my school did a report card night where kids who were on the honor roll were given tickets. You could give students who make the honor roll upper level tickets to a game or something.

Just a few of my thoughts and YES winning would draw more and once that starts happening I am sure more will come.

As true as this seems promoting needs to be done. Geno complains all the time about his attendance and his fans got bored with winning. I think the term he used was the fans were “spoiled” or “spoiled brats”...

Dawn and Vic’s winning def has helped however SC has had low ticket prices for years and even give aways and family nights and school events where groups come. This is something the LVs can do once or twice a season to get the community to rally behind Kellie and even have a question and answer session with the players. Vic has been known to sit with fans and hand out candy like Gary Blair. He has also been known to walk around campus personally inviting people to games. There has been videos posted of Dawn standing on campus chatting it up with fans inviting them and driving around in a golf cart acting goofy and rolling up on people.

Military nights are always a great way to honor our armed forces!

Around here my school did a report card night where kids who were on the honor roll were given tickets. You could give students who make the honor roll upper level tickets to a game or something.

Just a few of my thoughts and YES winning would draw more and once that starts happening I am sure more will come.

I think we're saying the same thing. You need to promote, but it helps if you have a good product to promote. For all the effort Vic and Dawn put into promoting their programs, it wouldn't have amounted to much if they were still losing programs. Tennessee has it somewhat easier because they have history and already have a strong fan base, so promotion isn't as difficult.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Since attendance has been declining over the past three tears, what strategies (aside from winning) would you like to see tried (new or old)?

Come up with a cute rebuilding slogan and use it in all forms of advertising.

For increasing attendance, one only needs to look at what Bruce Pearl did when he first became the UT basketball coach years ago. He was everywhere among the students to encourage and ask for their attendance at games. Over a period of time and persistence, it worked and the attendance grew because of his efforts. If Coach Harper would do the same, I believe the same could be accomplished.

Other than winning I would say ticket prices. It has gotten too expensive to take a family out to more than 1 game per season. With tickets going over $100 a ticket, plus hotel, meals, and a hotdog/hamburger at the game it has gotten ridiculous. I can buy a new flat screen every year, stay at home and have a beer and still be cheaper than taking my family to the games. I understand you are paying for the experience of being at the game. That is why we go to a game each year. Tennessee is not even near the top in prices according to this blog.
For 2018, UGA Leads Nation As Most Expensive College Football Ticket For First Time

We’re in comeback mode, with a new Coach who is already known and loved by many, plus have new exciting players to see, and our current players to show appreciation to, that should certainly encourage attendance.

Last edited:
Other than winning I would say ticket prices. It has gotten too expensive to take a family out to more than 1 game per season. With tickets going over $100 a ticket, plus hotel, meals, and a hotdog/hamburger at the game it has gotten ridiculous. I can buy a new flat screen every year, stay at home and have a beer and still be cheaper than taking my family to the games. I understand you are paying for the experience of being at the game. That is why we go to a game each year. Tennessee is not even near the top in prices according to this blog.
For 2018, UGA Leads Nation As Most Expensive College Football Ticket For First Time
How much are the girls basketball tickets?

I would say both winning and ticket prices. IMO, most people will pay the ticket prices if the team is winning, demand is high, and the product is good. However, when the product has serious flaws, not winning even against teams that they should, and lacks motivation, this will have an effect on peoples willingness to spend a lot of money just to be disappointed. "If Kellie builds it, they will come".

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Come up with a cute rebuilding slogan and use it in all forms of advertising.

You trying to get a brick thrown at you or something?;)

For increasing attendance, one only needs to look at what Bruce Pearl did when he first became the UT basketball coach years ago. He was everywhere among the students to encourage and ask for their attendance at games. Over a period of time and persistence, it worked and the attendance grew because of his efforts. If Coach Harper would do the same, I believe the same could be accomplished.

I'd draw the line at showing up at a men's game painted orange and shirtless.

I remember a ticket promotion in conjunction with Wendy's that was used back in '87 to pack TBA for a game against Texas.

If the admin could have convinced (with $) a Chris Petersen-type coach to come, I would have strongly considered resuming my terrace ticket subscription and all the donations that go with those. UT can't sell itself and its "storied tradition" to the elite level of recruits. A top-level coach befitting of a Forbes top twenty revenue generating program is definitely not asking too much. Other than that winning FTW.

VN Store

Back