Strange seeing such a big guy at RB...

What I remember about Hurd is that he was hard to bring down. His line never opened holes and he would get hit in the backfield but he kept his legs moving and churned his way for a couple of yards that were all earned by him. I don't fault him for leaving. I think he fought really hard to get yardage for us when he was here. He was getting banged up too much and his future career was being impacted in a negative way. I appreciated him as a workhorse for us, though looking back we all see now that he should have been splitting time with AK.
That's a fair assessment and he definitely took a beating while he was a VOL.

Hyatt was timed at 4.31 electronic. And 10.4 100 and that was as a Junior in high school. So he's 4.3

People thought Jamal Lewis couldn't run 4.4 either even though he was obviously fast. Because he was 230 lbs

Vanderbilt sucks, but that has jack to do with how fast someone covers 10 yards. Henry T runs 4.6...Beckwith looks significantly faster than that.

Just because we sucked last year doesn't mean we don't have really talented players. We just don't have a lot of them. Don't let bias get in the way of that with Dee.

This. Thanks for reading my mind and posting exactly what needed to be said.

Go Vols

Reactions: LittleVol
That's a fair assessment and he definitely took a beating while he was a VOL.

When he 1st left i thought he was a traitor..

Then i did some reading , and people in the know said botch Jones promised him at least 2 years in a row to put together some real I-formation running plays with those "H-backs" as lead blockers that botch always talked about but never used because he ran tje exact same RPO run play 26 times per game....

He was a tough runner and would have done very well and definitely broken the all time UT rushing record with a lead blocker and a downhill running start.... Botch was so damn stupid...Hurd got the ball 90% of the time standing flat footed in the backfield, forcing him to bulldoze a couple guys just to get to the LOS ...still would have easily been the most productive back in UT history if je stayed.

Botch was a full of sheot used car salesman who lied so much the players came to hate him. He was a dbag. In every sense.

When he 1st left i thought he was a traitor..

Then i did some reading , and people in the know said botch Jones promised him at least 2 years in a row to put together some real I-formation running plays with those "H-backs" as lead blockers that botch always talked about but never used because he ran tje exact same RPO run play 26 times per game....

He was a tough runner and would have done very well and definitely broken the all time UT rushing record with a lead blocker and a downhill running start.... Botch was so damn stupid...Hurd got the ball 90% of the time standing flat footed in the backfield, forcing him to bulldoze a couple guys just to get to the LOS ...still would have easily been the most productive back in UT history if je stayed.

Botch was a full of sheot used car salesman who lied so much the players came to hate him. He was a dbag. In every sense.
He was definitely over used while he was here and everyone knew he was getting the ball and we certainly didn't have an oline to block them.

I also read that Hurd asked Butch to move him to TE and Butch refused. Wanted to play TE for a season or 2 because NFL scouts told him that would get him an NFL opportunity that RB would not. So he goes to Baylor and played TE. Butch made a lot of promises to recruits he couldn't make happen. Kamara as the featured RB and Hurd at TE would have been a good combination.

I also read that Hurd asked Butch to move him to TE and Butch refused. Wanted to play TE for a season or 2 because NFL scouts told him that would get him an NFL opportunity that RB would not. So he goes to Baylor and played TE. Butch made a lot of promises to recruits he couldn't make happen. Kamara as the featured RB and Hurd at TE would have been a good combination.
You sure it wouldn't WR??

Vanderbilt will make a lot of backs look fast. He is more like a 4,6 guy. Hyatt is maybe 4 ,4
4.6 isn't slow.

I have no insider info as to how fast his 40 is. A guy running a 4.6 loses a 40 yard race to someone running a 4.4 by less than 2 yards.... about 5 feet. It looks like he gets the corner pretty quick. That's the biggest thing. Get to the second level.

He played WR for Baylor. He had the athleticism to play either in the NFL. Wear and tear on his body will be less at WR.

4.6 isn't slow.

I have no insider info as to how fast his 40 is. A guy running a 4.6 loses a 40 yard race to someone running a 4.4 by less than 2 yards.... about 5 feet. It looks like he gets the corner pretty quick. That's the biggest thing. Get to the second level.
Never said he was slow....RB looks good on him imo. Not a lot run a true 4.4 regardless what you read. Check the combines out on some of these supposed 4.4 times.

Reactions: walkenvol and sjt18
Hurd leaving has nothing to do with my statement and I don't blame him for leaving but he was not a runner that was hard to bring down. I can't think of him really breaking that many tackles but it has been a few years
Please watch the UGA game.. or any other game he played in

My biggest concern with Beckwith at this point is can he be an every down RB in this crazy-fast paced offense that Heupel runs?
He'll for sure take a pounding and not just on plays he carries the ball, but also when he is pass protection and blocking for other runners.

Lot of comparisons with Hurd on here, one thing Beckwith seems to have that Hurd had early on (not so much once the relationship with Butch soured) is the will to want to do it...he goes and drives where he wants on the field.

All time rushing records are easy to accumulate these days when top talent now leaves early
Yeah. Of course you couldn't just be WRONG... could you? Hurd played 2.5 years for UT. He would have passed Lewis who played 3 years within a game or two. He would have had the record over Henry, Foster, J Jones, and Stewart by the end of his Jr season. They all played 4.

Reactions: 24/7vol
Hurd leaving has nothing to do with my statement and I don't blame him for leaving but he was not a runner that was hard to bring down. I can't think of him really breaking that many tackles but it has been a few years
He was a battering ram

Reactions: kbear01
I a
I like this guy a lot! Even the one or two snaps he got in a game past year he looked good.

Shouldn't be anymore talk about moving him to the defense, moving him to TE. Hand him the ball and let him run people over!
I agree 100%. I'm all about seeing some carnage on the road!!

Hurd was big for a RB but I don't think he was as bulky, not sure tho
Hurd was a freak. He made Tee look like he was clueless at evaluating when he called him soft. I don't think I've ever seen a player hurt so many people that tried to tackle him. He averages 2-3 a game he would send to the bench.

Reactions: onevol74
You need to go back and watch film. Hurd was hit at the line of scrimmage almost every play. He still could have easily been UTs all time leading rusher. The guy punished people every play even when he didn't have the ball. His pass protection is what puts him at the top of the list for me. You would see DEs pull up to keep from getting embarrassed by him. He had some the sickest stiff arms I can recall in the last 25 years. Watch the stiff arm on the DE from Northwestern if I recall correctly. Had Hurd played behind Dooley's line or any line of Fulmer's he easily breaks the all time rushing record in 3 years.

I'm still sad that Brown transferred to Miami.

VN Store

Back