Strange personal stories

My ancestors were in Arkansas during the Civil War, and most of the men went behind Union lines in Missouri to avoid the fray...a band of Jayhawkers rode up on their AR homestead with the women still there and robbed them, tortured them (including whipping the matriarch nearly to death with a chain, and hanging a baby by its feet, upside down). One of the girls, for no other reason then to get a bit of revenge, snuck outside and ripped open the bottom of their tobacco sack so that it all fell out when they rode off. On their way out, the marauders happened upon the only men on location, my great, great, great Uncle and his son. They murdered my kin on the spot.

#thisisthemostdividedwe'veeverbeen

In 2011, In a small town in Arkansas, population 125 thereabouts, my Uncle was murdered. Life long trucker and the nicest man you would ever meet. Literally would give you the shirt he had on without hesitation. A big man 6'6", 275 lbs. Resembled Elvis.

Murdered, I'll say allegedly loosely, by a man that lived 1/2 mile away and that my uncle had helped out numerous times.

The cops found the guy a few days later in Conway, still wearing the same clothes he had on when he "allegedly" murdered my Uncle. My Uncles blood was on the man's pants where he had wiped the blade of the knife he used to kill my Uncle. He was arrested and released a month later.

To this day, he has not been rearrested and the legal system will not update my family.

I suffer from sleep paralysis and I've had several weird things happen during those.

I did have one experience about 10 years ago when my wife was out of town with her mom. I went to bed and at the time I used a humidifier that was right next to my side of the bed. I had filled it up and turned it on right before I went to sleep. When I got up the next morning, everything in the room had been unplugged. The humidifier, clock radio, stereo, cell phone charger, and a weather radio, and only 2 of them were plugged up right near me. I have no recollection of doing any of that and I don't have a history of sleep walking or anything like that. The funniest part is it ticked me off more than freaked me out and I even asked my dog if she did it.
I thought sleep paralysis is where you wake up and can’t move? That happened to me one.

In 2011, In a small town in Arkansas, population 125 thereabouts, my Uncle was murdered. Life long trucker and the nicest man you would ever meet. Literally would give you the shirt he had on without hesitation. A big man 6'6", 275 lbs. Resembled Elvis.

Murdered, I'll say allegedly loosely, by a man that lived 1/2 mile away and that my uncle had helped out numerous times.

The cops found the guy a few days later in Conway, still wearing the same clothes he had on when he "allegedly" murdered my Uncle. My Uncles blood was on the man's pants where he had wiped the blade of the knife he used to kill my Uncle. He was arrested and released a month later.

To this day, he has not been rearrested and the legal system will not update my family.

Damn man, that sucks. I hope that pos is brought to justice.

That guy just needs to go missing if you know what I mean. Does he have friends or relatives in places of authority?

Reactions: TN_Transplant
If I was a cat I would have used up my nine lives growing up in Knoxville, all the crazy stuff we did, swimming in the pond at Meads Quarry (out towards Sevierville) and getting jumped there by the Quarry Rats (I ended up with a bloody head wound after getting sucker punched and falling on the rock cliff), smashing up cars and motorcycles, and generally living it up. One of my early jobs was bagging groceries for Cas Walker (if you're not from Knoxville, Cas Walker was a local politician and businessman with a string of supermarkets, had actually been mayor of Knoxville at one time). One of the two Supermarkets I worked in was in a pretty rough neighborhood - Vestal. One Friday night a couple of the guys working there, who were classic hoodlums of the day, got into a bit of a fracas in the condiments aisle. The one with buck teeth grabs a bottle of Seven Seas salad dressing - a thick glass bottle - and smashes it over the other guy's head. A bloody mess but no one died. Telling this now reminds me of how my first motorcycle (a Suzuki 305) bit the dust. Somebody poured sugar in the gas tank while I was working there, and I never found out who. One of the few times my Dad and I ever did anything together... he towed me home on that bike with his Studebaker station wagon.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinBob and Zues1
When I was about in my midteens or so, growing up way out in the sticks, some friends and I decided to camp out in the woods one night. We got our sleeping bags and tents and got hold of a bunch of beer and hauled it all way, way up past all the farmland and far up into the woods on a mountain so no one would catch us drinking.

We got set up, built a fire, ate some hot dogs, drank our beer and carried on into the night. Along about the wee hours we decided to head out of our camp for a night hike.

We followed some trail in the dark for a long time and as it opened up to a clearing we came across a few other kids about our age that we didn’t know just wandering around the woods at night like we were. Damnedest thing.

Of course, hickass bumpkins that we were, a fight broke out. Not a free for all, just one of ours and one of theirs. Ours caught theirs with a shot to the jaw that knocked him over the edge of a little ravine and he tumbled down to the bottom and didn’t move, so we ambled on.

I always found it strange that two groups of boys roaming the woods in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere find each other.

Did it turn out you were just driving the section of I-24 that dips into Alabama and you thought you had gone to hell?
I woke up mid-morning on the sofa in a friend's Southerly-facing sunroom. The room was very bright as would be expected. I started to rise and everything went dark black. When I reawakened, I had a very foul taste in my mouth, which I could also smell.

That guy just needs to go missing if you know what I mean. Does he have friends or relatives in places of authority?
Agree 1000%!

I'm not sure about his acquaintances. He was kind of a newbie (10 years or less) to the area as far as I can tell. He was known locally as Crazy John and he's been arrested several times for spousal abuse.

I woke up mid-morning on the sofa in a friend's Southerly-facing sunroom. The room was very bright as would be expected. I started to rise and everything went dark black. When I reawakened, I had a very foul taste in my mouth, which I could also smell.

I gotta say, two posts into it, you're displaying quite a talent for undertelling a story. Please continue.

Reactions: Obsessed
Not sure I want to know what was in his mouth

Could be that of all the things that he thought could have happened, he felt death was the least traumatizing to accept.

Here's my theory: After he keeled over, the Angel of Death arrived but in a moment of mischief, rather than taking his soul, he crapped in his mouth, took a selfie and left.

Reactions: Carl Pickens

Holy Crap

Ok......I was 17 and driving home from school. There is a one lane bridge that crossed the Harpeth River (since widened) that rarely had any traffic. I was going about 40/45 mph and there was a UPS truck about to cross the bridge coming towards me approx 75 yrds away. I slammed on my brakes waiting for the impact. I could smell the rubber....and then dead silence. I opened my eyes and I was on the other side of the bridge. I turned around and the UPS truck was on the other side. We both got out of our vehicles and put our hands up as to say, "WTH just happened." To this day, it's the strangest thing I've encountered (including a couple of ghosts).

My ancestors were in Arkansas during the Civil War, and most of the men went behind Union lines in Missouri to avoid the fray...a band of Jayhawkers rode up on their AR homestead with the women still there and robbed them, tortured them (including whipping the matriarch nearly to death with a chain, and hanging a baby by its feet, upside down). One of the girls, for no other reason then to get a bit of revenge, snuck outside and ripped open the bottom of their tobacco sack so that it all fell out when they rode off. On their way out, the marauders happened upon the only men on location, my great, great, great Uncle and his son. They murdered my kin on the spot.

#thisisthemostdividedwe'veeverbeen
Damn.... you mormons keep records of everything thing I guess...fascinating story, but truly awful as well

Reactions: SmokinBob
Damn.... you mormons keep records of everything thing I guess...fascinating story, but truly awful as well

That's not even my Mormon side, but yeah that is a Mormon thing. My Aunt happens to be into genealogy, so she dug all this stuff up.

Ahhh... got one.

After my military obligation was completed, I decided to attend college and get my life back on the rails. I met a sweet heart from my home town that attended the same school and we became an item. She was an A student, me, I was a Nam Vet, trying to figure out the real world again... I was not doing so well early on, skipping classes, partying rather than studying. Then I met her, and turned around on a dime. I started to open books and read and study for tests, really getting a handle on what it took to get the grades. Everything was going great... made the honor roll and then the dean's list. Some professors were impressed and told me so... however, the American Lit professor was weary of me, thinking I was cheating my way through his class. So, after getting near perfect scores on his several of his tests, he decided I was borrowing answers from my gal pal... as we sat together during the tests. Soooo, on the next test, after handing it out, he called me out in front of the class... Bob, I would like you to sit right here in the front. He put me in a seat with no one around me, thinking he got me now. Well I aced that test, and had the highest score in the class. A day after, he tracked me down and apologized to me. Made me proud and put me on a good path... I think I really needed that experience.

Not life or death or even scary... but to this day that has left an impact on me. In spite of all the crap you are dealt in life, if you dig a little and you can rise above it.

Last edited:
Ahhh... got one.

After my military obligation was completed, I decided to attend college and get my life back on the rails. I met a sweet heart from my home town that attended the same school and we became an item. She was an A student, me, I was a Nam Vet, trying to figure out the real world again... I was not doing so well early on, skipping classes, partying rather than studying. Then I met her, and turned around on a dime. I started to open books and read and study for tests, really getting a handle on what it took to get the grades. Everything was going great... made the honor roll and then the dean's list. Some professors were impressed and told me so... however, the American Lit professor was weary of me, thinking I was cheating my way through his class. So, after getting near perfect scores on his several of his tests, he decided I was borrowing answers from my gal pal... as we sat together during the tests. Soooo, on the next test, after handing it out, he called me out in front of the class... Bob, I would like you to sit right here in the front. He put in in a seat with no one around me, thinking he got me now. Well I aced that test, and had the highest score in the class. A day after, he tracked me down and apologized to me. Made me proud and put me on a good path... I think I really needed that experience.

Not life or death or even scary... but to this day that has left an impact on me. In spite of all the crap you are dealt in life, if you dig a little and you can rise above it.

I like that story.

Thanks for sharing it.

Reactions: rs16 and 82_VOL_83
Ahhh... got one.

After my military obligation was completed, I decided to attend college and get my life back on the rails. I met a sweet heart from my home town that attended the same school and we became an item. She was an A student, me, I was a Nam Vet, trying to figure out the real world again... I was not doing so well early on, skipping classes, partying rather than studying. Then I met her, and turned around on a dime. I started to open books and read and study for tests, really getting a handle on what it took to get the grades. Everything was going great... made the honor roll and then the dean's list. Some professors were impressed and told me so... however, the American Lit professor was weary of me, thinking I was cheating my way through his class. So, after getting near perfect scores on his several of his tests, he decided I was borrowing answers from my gal pal... as we sat together during the tests. Soooo, on the next test, after handing it out, he called me out in front of the class... Bob, I would like you to sit right here in the front. He put me in a seat with no one around me, thinking he got me now. Well I aced that test, and had the highest score in the class. A day after, he tracked me down and apologized to me. Made me proud and put me on a good path... I think I really needed that experience.

Good story, and good job

Reactions: rs16 and 82_VOL_83

VN Store

Back