stock market was up today...

That’s silly man. An exit strategy is always a good thing especially in a tax advantaged account. No basis to track and no gains to tax. Not saying to time the market, don’t try. But knowing when to get into cash for a while isn’t a bad idea.
True..... but in order to know ..... you have to read and follow and stay up to date on it

Always selling at the tops and buying at the bottoms is impossible. Averaging into equities over an extended period is a good strategy to accumulate wealth.

Those worrying about the market are fooling themselves.
IF it crashes, that will be the least of your problems.

Pretty sure it was because the Donny called himself "Tariff Man" like some sort of autistic superhero whos super power consists of tweeting from the toilet, grabbing pu**ies and causing unnecessary stock market losses.
Are....you ....watching ...me?
SKreHCKQ_400x400.jpg

Reactions: Septic
That’s silly man. An exit strategy is always a good thing especially in a tax advantaged account. No basis to track and no gains to tax. Not saying to time the market, don’t try. But knowing when to get into cash for a while isn’t a bad idea.

You see another structural problem for a large draw down (bubble somewhere) ? We had 50% from Mar 2000 to Oct 2002 (dotcom bust) bottom and 58% form Oct 2007 to Mar 2009 (housing bust) bottom. Several 12%+ pullbacks since that big 2009 bottom.

You see another structural problem for a large draw down (bubble somewhere) ? We had 50% from Mar 2000 to Oct 2002 (dotcom bust) bottom and 58% form Oct 2007 to Mar 2009 (housing bust) bottom. Several 12%+ pullbacks since that big 2009 bottom.
I don’t personally see anything no, again I’m no savant. I just found it curious over the Thanksgiving Break the nephew brought up housing and a bubble. He’s in foreclosure mortgage biz side so he can see that market data. And he just passed on the info he had heard from his professional contacts. I did see recently that new housing starts are down year over year, I think I saw that last week. But no I have no clear info I’m sharing let me be clear on that.

My wife is a realtor, 95% of what she sells are brand new houses from 1 good builder. I am a superintendent for a commercial contractor and we only build apartments. I have been super busy since 2010, everybody is building apartments in charlotte, foreclosures helped demand, and charlotte is super fast growing anyway. I read where these same stupid bastards that didnt get locked up last time like they should have are still pushing massive amounts of subprime loans...caused last recession bubble...just under a different name this time. Offprime or something....still lending money to people who have bad credit and are over extending themselves. Then banks bundle all those mortgages together and sell the giant turd sandwich to investors...who lose their butts. Houses are way overvalued right now, due mostly to that, and if the bubble bursts agaim and the bankers responsible for wrecking the economy TWICE dont go to prison, somebody needs to be publicly hanged. I mean that.

Because of what my wife and I do, we are very vulnerable to a housing bubble pop...it will wreck us. She wasnt a realtor in 2008, but reading blueprints and running big jobs is all that i am good at. I dont have another marketable skill...

My wife is a realtor, 95% of what she sells are brand new houses from 1 good builder. I am a superintendent for a commercial contractor and we only build apartments. I have been super busy since 2010, everybody is building apartments in charlotte, foreclosures helped demand, and charlotte is super fast growing anyway. I read where these same stupid bastards that didnt get locked up last time like they should have are still pushing massive amounts of subprime loans...caused last recession bubble...just under a different name this time. Offprime or something....still lending money to people who have bad credit and are over extending themselves. Then banks bundle all those mortgages together and sell the giant turd sandwich to investors...who lose their butts. Houses are way overvalued right now, due mostly to that, and if the bubble bursts agaim and the bankers responsible for wrecking the economy TWICE dont go to prison, somebody needs to be publicly hanged. I mean that.

Because of what my wife and I do, we are very vulnerable to a housing bubble pop...it will wreck us. She wasnt a realtor in 2008, but reading blueprints and running big jobs is all that i am good at. I dont have another marketable skill...

This is disturbing to hear
No more Arrows in the quiver with 20T debt
The political and economic result could be cataclysmic

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys...this is important...so please look out for a blue collar fellow Vol. I only have about 30 or 35k in my 401k, its Principal target date fund for 2040 retirement. My boss will hopefully add a out 10k to it in january...but its all i have...

Please guys, if that Inversion thing happens, please post it here in big bold all caps print...double post it...i always read this thread trying to learn from you guys.

I will call principal the next day and tell them to do whatever they have to do to take everything i have and put it in bonds, money market, whatever...not stocks. I cant take a big hit...i know that i will die working, but my beautiful wife is 5 years younger than me, and i want to give her all i can before and after i am gone. Please help guys.
Inversion doesn't necessarily mean the market will tank. Like Thunder and CP and somebody said, just keep adding to your account over the years. You have 22 more years, and the market is guaranteed to take some hard hits between now and then. It has always come back, and it usually doesn't take a long time to bounce back.

Stay invested, throw up if you have to when it tanks, but keep on pumping. You can't time it. There is nothing wrong with getting a little defensive with your stock/bond mix as you age, but your target date fund does that for you over time.

Reactions: Orangeburst
Then banks bundle all those mortgages together and sell the giant turd sandwich to investors...who lose their butts. Houses are way overvalued right now, due mostly to that, and if the bubble bursts agaim and the bankers responsible for wrecking the economy TWICE dont go to prison, somebody needs to be publicly hanged. I mean that.

Those "investors" are likely to be your 401k fund managers.

Reactions: Orange_Crush

You're dangerously under diversified. Especially if you own your home. You work in construction. Your wife works in real estate. If you own the place that you live you're over concentrated in one sector, even if you don't have any of your 401(k) invested in real estate or construction or even financials. You need to be in totally unrelated things with your 401(k). Maybe the healthcare sector, broad market based index funds, international funds, tech and communication, retail, mid-term bond funds, consumer staples, consumer discretionary, etc.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

Brother if you can read blueprints , herd a bunch of construction guys into doing what they are supposed to be doing ( that in itself is like herding cats ) and completing the job on time and under budget you should be able to find work almost anytime . Don’t sell yourself short , both of those skills will easily roll over into other jobs . Bare minimum they are skills / talents that are impressive on a resume and when you are selling yourself in an interview .

I may have somewhat misspoke, during the last recession i went back to what i started ..doing kitchen and bath remodels, building room additions, decks etc...i can build a house to code from the ground up with my hands, from sweating copper pipe to laying the brick, tile, shingles, everything..but most people cant afford home improvements in a recession, so work was super hard to get. I ended up networking with everyone i knew and helping others most of the time between my own jobs for hourly pay. Was making half what i do now...i know that my wife will have zero income if we have another 2008...but she can wait tables i guess. I think our income together will be more than cut in half though, and while we dont blow money on new cars or toys, life is just very expensive.

To be honest, it scares me to death. I was put here to give my kids the best, and so far have been able to keep them in a great Christian school and pay the bills though my wife and i have made plenty of sacrifices to make that happen. I am sure most here have done the same. There were days in 08 when i had no work, was making 75k when i got laid off...i would drive to Lowes at 6am and park at the contractors entrance...when guys came out with carts of lumber etc. I would offer to help them cheap...not too proud for that, this is my family we are talking about, they depend on me to take care of them. Its so crazy that because of bankers and wall street, the entire country can fall apart financially...and the skills that i have spent 25 years building are suddenly worth a fraction of what they were before.

Thanks for your advice guys. I read extensively last night about the bond inversions. I will keep an eye on the 10 to 1 bonds...God bless .

I may have somewhat misspoke, during the last recession i went back to what i started ..doing kitchen and bath remodels, building room additions, decks etc...i can build a house to code from the ground up with my hands, from sweating copper pipe to laying the brick, tile, shingles, everything..but most people cant afford home improvements in a recession, so work was super hard to get. I ended up networking with everyone i knew and helping others most of the time between my own jobs for hourly pay. Was making half what i do now...i know that my wife will have zero income if we have another 2008...but she can wait tables i guess. I think our income together will be more than cut in half though, and while we dont blow money on new cars or toys, life is just very expensive.

To be honest, it scares me to death. I was put here to give my kids the best, and so far have been able to keep them in a great Christian school and pay the bills though my wife and i have made plenty of sacrifices to make that happen. I am sure most here have done the same. There were days in 08 when i had no work, was making 75k when i got laid off...i would drive to Lowes at 6am and park at the contractors entrance...when guys came out with carts of lumber etc. I would offer to help them cheap...not too proud for that, this is my family we are talking about, they depend on me to take care of them. Its so crazy that because of bankers and wall street, the entire country can fall apart financially...and the skills that i have spent 25 years building are suddenly worth a fraction of what they were before.

Thanks for your advice guys. I read extensively last night about the bond inversions. I will keep an eye on the 10 to 1 bonds...God bless .

Matthew 6:26-27 😉

VN Store

Back