Steve Kiner discusses Tennessee's team leadership

Wow...The stupid is strong with you today...Bryant was every bit as good as Saban maybe even better...He won 6 national titles and won 14 SEC titles.

Bear coached when there were no scholarship limitations, practice limitations, etc. Bear also coached a lot longer....

Tennessee will not be a good football program for the foreseeable future. So far, Pruitt is no better than the 2 stiffs before him that we fired. When the admin gets serious about hiring a big time football coach, we will win again. Until then, nothing really changes
You can be the biggest time coach in the world, but if you don't have the horses you are not gonna get it done. We still are lacking in the stables. Another year or two

Reactions: TGVol
Freeze apparently had to cheat (recruiting) to get the talent to beat Saban. Are you suggesting that's what we should do?
Malzahn will be available because he is not good enough for Auburn any longer - why should he be a great hire for us in that case?
Statement that there are plenty of lesser known guys out there (without naming them) that would beat the greatest coach who ever coached in CF is another generic statement. Please name few of those lesser known guys who would beat Saban. As bad as we have been during last 15 years, with the exception of Butch everyone else we hired seemed reasonable lesser known name (some better known that others (Kiffin), some from Saban coaching tree like Dooley, Pruitt, and even Sunseri) - but the constant (not only at UT) is that hardly anyone ever beats Saban.
Get off Saban and Alabama’s nuts Jesus Christ. He can be beaten. He is not invincible.

Yep and I'm watching a little scat back play right now named Kyler murray for the cardinals. Now that dude brings energy and electricity to the game,imo. For sure it makes his teamates play harder too. I was hoping to see Holiday get some reps at QB.

Interested to see what Bailey can do for sure but I want to see Salters.Hes raw and going to need a lil time but think kids got that mahomes/Murray gun slinger in him.I just pissed if we knew our qbs were all this bad or unprepared why we didn’t bring a damn transfer in,I mean anyone woulda been better than “Well u know it’s the best we got”bs.3 years and not one qb worth a **** damn shame!

Get off Saban and Alabama’s nuts Jesus Christ. He can be beaten. He is not invincible.

Of course he can be beaten. I'm just trying to make a case that we are more likely to get there if we are patient and give our current coaching staff time to develop talented players they have already recruited (and keep recruiting more of them), rather than replacing HC and starting over every few years hoping we will find some new HC who will miraculously find shortcut to beat Saban (and also UGA and UF) with inferior talent (that seems very unlikely).

can someone tell us how Lane Kiffin and Ole Miss gave Bama a run for it and were still in the game scoring TD's late. And don't tell us it's the Jimmies and the Joes!

can someone tell us how Lane Kiffin and Ole Miss gave Bama a run for it and were still in the game scoring TD's late. And don't tell us it's the Jimmies and the Joes!

Probably combination of the following 2 reasons:
1. Kiffin was recently OC at Saban staff and his offenses practiced against those defenses so he knew tendencies (maybe even signals which is what Saban hinted on after the game). Kiffin is also extremely created/talented offensive minded coach (proved that everyone he's been).
2. Ole Miss played Bama earlier curing the covid year so the defense was still in the process of getting settled (we have seen that it seemed much improved against UGA and also against us which is typical for Saban defenses (they rarely suck the whole year)

Probably combination of the following 2 reasons:
1. Kiffin was recently OC at Saban staff and his offenses practiced against those defenses so he knew tendencies (maybe even signals which is what Saban hinted on after the game). Kiffin is also extremely created/talented offensive minded coach (proved that everyone he's been).
2. Ole Miss played Bama earlier curing the covid year so the defense was still in the process of getting settled (we have seen that it seemed much improved against UGA and also against us which is typical for Saban defenses (they rarely suck the whole year)

Was hoping CJP would employ the same strategy in understanding Bama's D to help coordinate an offensive attack that would prove to effective. Instead, our offensive attack looked worse than my 5 year old's on NCAA Football '14.

Was hoping CJP would employ the same strategy in understanding Bama's D to help coordinate an offensive attack that would prove to effective. Instead, our offensive attack looked worse than my 5 year old's on NCAA Football '14.

I think CJP went extremely conservative with playcalling (more so than he probably would have liked) because of the disasters in UK game. I think the emphasis vs Bama was to rebuild JG's confidence (so keep it as simple as possible to give him a chance to have a clean game which he did). All this is probably done to maximize (in CJP's mind) the chances of winning as many of the remaining games as possible.

I think CJP went extremely conservative with playcalling (more so than he probably would have liked) because of the disasters in UK game. I think the emphasis vs Bama was to rebuild JG's confidence (so keep it as simple as possible to give him a chance to have a clean game which he did). All this is probably done to maximize (in CJP's mind) the chances of winning as many of the remaining games as possible.
Don't disagree. Instead of our offensive goal to be to build a 5th-year senior's confidence, it should be to limit the # of 3-and-outs. Until we get better on 3rd down, the D is going to continue to get gassed and we'll be lucky to finish 3-7. JMO, so TIFWIW.

“It is a team sport and not an individual thing,” Kiner said. “The quarterback is usually one of the team leaders and there is usually someone on the defensive side of the ball, whether it is a defensive back, linebacker or defensive lineman. There is usually someone that sets the bar. They are not playing as a team."

Steve Kiner discusses Tennessee closing the gap with Alabama, Vols' team leadership

You have to have leaders before leadership. I think we have a lack of leaders on this team, look at this years senior class, they signed as the CBJ ship was sinking. Most of the players that were elite went elsewhere Clemson, Georgia and evening Nebraska.

It's easy to make this generic statement that sounds good, but can you be specific and name a few big time coaches who would actually beat Saban? Because results on the field clearly show he is the best who ever coached college football (has not lost a game to anyone in SEC East for 10 years - even though we sucked over that period UF and UGA were pretty good at times could still not beat him). Actually, over the years he has been at Bama other than few games against Auburn and LSU Saban has pretty much dominated everyone (and Malzahn who is one of the few who actually does have some success against Saban is on the hot seat himself). Also, while I like Kiffin and Leach, looking at their records right now it does not seem they would be any more successful (Kiffin did have a good game against Bama but overall Ole Miss is even worse than us). And UK which seemed to be on the rise just lost to Mizzou. Also, the one big time hire in the SEC (NC winning coach now at A&M) has also been dominated by Saban. You even have coaches with great NFL credentials who have not been successful in college football (see Michigan as perfect example, and they don't even play the tough SEC schedule).

I think most of us would just like to see the first step...where we can just comfortably win 8+ games per year (in a normal 12-game season). As things have stood recently, a .500 record is not a given.

Saban, East and Conference championships aren’t even on the radar of any coach we’ve hired.

Also, would you folks please stop comparing apples to oranges?! Kiffin and Leach are in Year 1. Pruitt in Year 3. HUGE difference. Sheesh!

Saban is very beatable, all you have to have is the best Offensive line so your quarterback can throw and your running backs can run.
Have great depth on defensive line to make your opponents offense one dimensional.

That's pretty much it.
He only wins because his Lines are elite.

I agree with this. And this is exactly what so many people on here are arguing - the need to constantly work around the problems (lack of confidence or poor play) at the QB position are affecting the entire offense and ultimately the whole team.

Don't disagree. Instead of our offensive goal to be to build a 5th-year senior's confidence, it should be to limit the # of 3-and-outs. Until we get better on 3rd down, the D is going to continue to get gassed and we'll be lucky to finish 3-7. JMO, so TIFWIW.

I agree 3-and-outs is a huge problem and our D is definitely impacted if our offense can't keep the ball and get them some rest. However, I don't think it's all on JG - last year he could go to Jennings when we needed to convert critical 3rd downs, and this year sadly we do not have anyone close as good/tough who can catch the ball in traffic and hold on.

and when we loosened up and threw it down the field against Bama we got two (TWO) touchdown completions in a row! Maybe we ought to do that more!

and when we loosened up and threw it down the field against Bama we got two (TWO) touchdown completions in a row! Maybe we ought to do that more!

Same against UGA - 2 long TD's but strangley did not call that again. It seems like we should probably try that at least 10 times every game - if it gets intercepted so be it - it's like a punt anyhow (assuming receivers can tackle actualy tackle someone once in a while if those passes get intercepted instead of giving up pick-6 on every interception).

VN Store

Back