Stephanie Watts commits to Southern Cal

What does the thread headline say? That should tell you the answer.
I don't think he was trying to be smart, I think he was saying if she was going to play for Dawn then maybe we should feel a little uneasy but her going to Southern Cal where they haven't been that good of a team recently doesn't warrant the type of talk (negativity) that it is getting

Reactions: Smallvol#1
What does the thread headline say? That should tell you the answer.

I mentioned that in general, and I don't think most ppl pays attention to headline when commenting on post. There's a comment that says USC that draws my attention to point it out. Great job though!

I don't think he was trying to be smart, I think he was saying if she was going to play for Dawn then maybe we should feel a little uneasy but her going to Southern Cal where they haven't been that good of a team recently doesn't warrant the type of talk (negativity) that it is getting
Thread headline said Southern Cal and he's the only person who mentioned South Carolina. But I agree that the negativity re: Watts is weird. Another poster made a great point that Tennessee is just not in a good recruiting position right now until Kellie shows that she's an improvement from Holly.

Yep, I wish her well, but I've already moved on. (As the Eagles band sang, "I'm already gone... And I'm feeling' strong... I will sing this vic'try song... 'Cause I'm already gone")

And may I just say that the "ignore" feature has made my message board experience so much better that I'm kicking myself for not using it before now.

Yes safe spaces are important.

Still a lot of one year players and two year players on the board and still couple weeks to find someone. The basic need is a three point shooter from the two guard position. Zaay Green and others have not to this point been capable of being competent in that role. Watts was the type of shooter you want and that is what we need. She wasn't a great defender no better than who we have now, but her three point shooting was terrific and that is the gap we need to close.

Realistically, considering what the Vols have gone through the last few seasons and the recent change of coaches, it should be considered a positive that this coach has not lost more players via transfer.

I agree, we need and seems like have needed forever, a top flight 3 pt. shooter. However I have been flustered by what seems to me to be a lack of even average 2pt. range shooting. It seems we either go inside, try to drive inside or try a three. I really miss the good mid-range shooting.

I agree, we need and seems like have needed forever, a top flight 3 pt. shooter. However I have been flustered by what seems to me to be a lack of even average 2pt. range shooting. It seems we either go inside, try to drive inside or try a three. I really miss the good mid-range shooting.

Kellie and Jackie Stiles developed Danielle Gitzen into an excellent mid-range shooter at MO St. She improved each year, was the team leader as the sole senior, and was able to score consistently against ranked opponents such as Stanford.

I think an experienced PG would be the biggest opportunity right now. Slide Jordan over to SG, Rennia at SF, Lou at PF. There are your shooters. If the PG can shoot, it would be a nice to have but not a necessity.

Horston is still a freshman, and I would rather not see her try to be the PG and likely one of the top scoring options in her first few months with the program.

We will field a team of solid players with two of them having a chance to be outstanding. The problem this year, as it has been in the past few years, is that our most highly rated recruits have left the program prematurely. This leaves us to once again depend on underclassmen at too many positions.
I agree that KJH's start has not been memorable. But, as has been previously stated, she is just starting out and the competition for the best transfers/recruits is fierce. Too early to worry. Let's see how the team plays before reaching for medication.

Reactions: Only1COJ
Kellie and Jackie Stiles developed Danielle Gitzen into an excellent mid-range shooter at MO St. She improved each year, was the team leader as the sole senior, and was able to score consistently against ranked opponents such as Stanford.

Danielle Gitzen is an amazing player, and I would LOVE it if Tennessee had several players like her.

Thread headline said Southern Cal and he's the only person who mentioned South Carolina. But I agree that the negativity re: Watts is weird. Another poster made a great point that Tennessee is just not in a good recruiting position right now until Kellie shows that she's an improvement from Holly.

I totally agree on the belief that she might not get a good 2020 class. IMO being able to add Jaiden and If she could find another JUCO PG (with 2 years eligibility left) or a grad transfer PG, I think it would provide her 6 incoming players to add to Lou (who didn't play last year) and the 6 returning. We would only lose 2/3 hopefully next off-season (Kam, Lou and Grad Transfer if we land one). We'd still bring back 9 for the 2020-2021 season and with a successful 2019-2020 season we could get into the transfer game.

2021 Class is key imo and where she can make her mark. And there are several Top 100 players who are interested in us, we have to reach out/make the offer. I want those who to play for the program and will do everything Kelli requires of them to be return the program to what we use to be.

Speaking of denying reality...

Watts stat line from last season was comparable to Evina's (EW = 14.9 ppg/163 assists to 101 TOs over 952 minutes; SW = 15.2 ppg/84 assists to 74 TOs over 927 minutes).

Priors are that Horston is a better all round player than Evina; Of course, JH will be a freshman but it is not inconceivable that she could win the starting PG spot.

If you have knowledge that, in reality, there was a guarantee that Watts would be the LVs starting PG over Horston, please share.

I could be mistaken but did I read she is from California? Maybe wanted to play last year close to home.

Priors are that Horston is a better all round player than Evina; Of course, JH will be a freshman but it is not inconceivable that she could win the starting PG spot.

If you have knowledge that, in reality, there was a guarantee that Watts would be the LVs starting PG over Horston, please share.

Horston is not a better all around player than Evina. She may very well start her first year, but it would have been alongside the far more experienced Watts not over her. As for Massengill, just stop.

Watts would likely be the best player on the team with the current roster, certainly in the top two with Davis. If you seriously think she wouldn't be starting over the current options at PG, we have much bigger problems to worry about with our new head coach....

Horston is not a better all around player than Evina. She may very well start her first year, but it would have been alongside the far more experienced Watts not over her. As for Massengill, just stop.

Watts would likely be the best player on the team with the current roster, certainly in the top two with Davis. If you seriously think she wouldn't be starting over the current options at PG, we have much bigger problems to worry about with our new head coach....

Holly is that you ?

Holly is that you ?
I don't think that Darth_Vol is Holly, but I must say that I was intrigued enough by her/his negativity that I took some time to peruse a fair number of her/his past posts. After about 45 minutes of time spent without finding a post that had a hint of a positive attitude toward the Lady Vols basketball team and the coaching staff (both recently past and present), I just gave up. I'm not sure why anyone with such a pervasively negative attitude toward the program even bothers to follow them.

Jim

I don't think that Darth_Vol is Holly, but I must say that I was intrigued enough by her/his negativity that I took some time to peruse a fair number of her/his past posts. After about 45 minutes of time spent without finding a post that had a hint of a positive attitude toward the Lady Vols basketball team and the coaching staff (both recently past and present), I just gave up. I'm not sure why anyone with such a pervasively negative attitude toward the program even bothers to follow them.

Jim

Several years ago, I can’t remember exactly when, Darth had a positive post. I have always believed someone hacked into his VN account. I asked if it was really he and never received any acknowledgment, but he didn’t post for a few days afterwards. I’ve always believed he had either embarrassed himself into temporary silence or was getting an attitude correction. There are different ways of finding joy. Since that time he has been his usual lovable, negative self.

Darth is NOT a half empty glass guy; he is an almost empty glass guy.🧡🍊🏀

The only way Darthie could become even more unhappy is if all his fears came true and the LVs completely emptied the glass!

Since that time he has been his usual lovable, negative self.

I've admittedly never been a sunshine pumper, but my hyper-criticism really began seven years when they went for the safest choice to replace Pat. Even then, I at some level I at least understood the mindset behind the hire, but I could never get behind it as I knew the Lady Vols would never really be relevant as long as she was leading. So what do they do after they (eventually) made the move from Holly? The same damn mistake, going cheap with the safest most convenient hire. Fans shouldn't be surprised at the results to come, but the program will never be elite again until the athletic department is ready to get serious about it.

If Kellie does lead the program back to championship contention and regular Final Fours I'll be the first in line to eat crow. But to borrow a quote the great Charles Barkley: I might be wrong, but I doubt it...

I've admittedly never been a sunshine pumper, but my hyper-criticism really began seven years when they went for the safest choice to replace Pat. Even then, I at some level I at least understood the mindset behind the hire, but I could never get behind it as I knew the Lady Vols would never really be relevant as long as she was leading. So what do they do after they (eventually) made the move from Holly? The same damn mistake, going cheap with the safest most convenient hire. Fans shouldn't be surprised at the results to come, but the program will never be elite again until the athletic department is ready to get serious about it.

If Kellie does lead the program back to championship contention and regular Final Fours I'll be the first in line to eat crow. But to borrow a quote the great Charles Barkley: I might be wrong, but I doubt it...

No female teams ever make the kind of hire you are describing..... they always hire a young up and coming coach..... top assistant....or just had a real successful season..... no one is going to over pay for a coach that is settled somewhere and making over a million per season to coach.

VN Store

Back