Steam Deck: handheld gaming PC/Switch alternative

Volwark

Mighty Melissa
Steam Deck price, specs, release date, and everything we know about Valve's new handheld gaming device | PC Gamer

• $399 for the 64GB version
  • $529 for the 256GB version
  • $649 for the 512GB version

• CPU: AMD Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
  • GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
  • RAM: 16 GB DDR5
  • Storage: 64GB, 256GB, 512GB versions; expandable with MicroSD cards
  • Display: 7" diagonal, 1280x800 (16:10), 60Hz LCD touchscreen
  • Audio: Stereo speakers that "pack a punch," says Valve, 3.5mm stereo jack, dual mics, multichannel USB-C/Bluetooth output
  • Controls: Two analog sticks with capacitive touch, D-pad, face buttons, analog triggers, bumpers, assignable grip buttons, "view" and "menu" buttons, gyro
  • Trackpads: There's two of them, and Valve says that they have "55% better latency compared to Steam Controller."
  • Wireless connectivity: Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
  • Wired connectivity: USB-C with DisplayPort 1.4 Alt-mode support; up to 8K @60Hz or 4K @120Hz, USB 3.2 Gen 2
  • Battery: 40Whr, "2-8 hours of gameplay"
  • Size: 11.7" x 4.6" x 1.8" (298mm x 117mm x 49mm)
  • Weight: Approximately 1.47 lbs (669 grams)

Obviously can connect directly to your TV/monitor, and there are plans for a dock similar to the Switch's.

Pricey, but this sounds very interesting. Good timing revealing this, hot off the heels of Nintendo's disappointing OLED Switch announcement. Lots of PC games to play on the go, and can emulate Switch games too.

I guess I am old enough to not see the appeal here. I get if you dont have access to your rig this offsets that loss. But if you are doing PC games, you are typically doing it for performance you cant out of a console, yet alone a handheld device.

Kids these days having more computing power in their pockets than we used to land on the moon- old man rant over.

And I am 32.

I guess I am old enough to not see the appeal here. I get if you dont have access to your rig this offsets that loss. But if you are doing PC games, you are typically doing it for performance you cant out of a console, yet alone a handheld device.

Kids these days having more computing power in their pockets than we used to land on the moon- old man rant over.

And I am 32.
Your still a young buck heck I’m 42 and grew up playing the Atari 2600 and the first Nintendo

Can you play 1 of these bad boys without having a PC? I pretty much use only my iPad and haven’t had need for a PC in years. Missed out on a heck of lot of games though

Can you play 1 of these bad boys without having a PC? I pretty much use only my iPad and haven’t had need for a PC in years. Missed out on a heck of lot of games though
Yes. It’s basically a PSP except better in every way

Reactions: C/O
It is a PC.

And you can load anything you want onto it, like Windows if you don't like SteamOS or whatever it's called. Would be cool if you could dual boot off high speed cards. Sure modders will figure it out.

Reactions: C/O
It is a PC.

And you can load anything you want onto it, like Windows if you don't like SteamOS or whatever it's called. Would be cool if you could dual boot off high speed cards. Sure modders will figure it out.
I’ve thought about this option but some virtual machines have trouble on my laptop with a 1660Ti and a i7-9750. I doubt these processors could do it

This thing is intriguing. I'll wait and see how games actually run on it. But I could see buying one of it actually runs a much of the Steam library as they say. My big worry is how quickly will it be before new games coming out stop running on it's hardware?

Reactions: tbh
I'm not really interested in hand-held gaming any longer and if I wanted something with some portability, I would just get a powerful gaming laptop. I'm just not sure who this is for exactly. I guess maybe there's a group of PC gamers who want a hand-held device?

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
I don't see the appeal of this TBH. The screen has an 800p resolution. My iphone has a better resolution than that screen.

Hard pass from me.

Was finally able to purchase one from Steam this weekend. Not sure how this is going to work out based on my history with handhelds, namely the Switch. I love the idea, but the practicality part has never panned out. If I've got time to game, I've got time to sit down at the computer. Resale values are still good enough that it seems to be a no-lose situation. And everything I've read makes it seem like running non-Steam games, including access to Game Pass, is super simple and that was enough for me to pull the trigger. Will give updates once I've gotten to use it a bit.

VN Store

Back