Status of Coach Willie Martinez

I agree that the talent has dictated much of the schemes thus far. Believe he is getting better talent out there now so be interesting to see if they adjust schemes
The only reason we have had success thus far is the incredible work Coach Garner has done with the DL. That group has been our weakness for 10-15 years. There stats and production has greatly improved the entire defense. Good DL covers a multitude of deficiencies on the back end. So, Coach Banks can only scheme to the strengths of his entire defense. Garner has them right, Jean-Mary has his group developing, butbits the secondary who can't play man. Hopefully, this new group can play to the level.of the DL.

We’re going into year 4 of Heupel. If we’ve had “crap to work with,” then that’s squarely on the coaches for lack of recruiting and/or developing. I’ve grown tired of that argument.

Yeah on Coach Pruitt who basically caused us to lose 2 classes. 21 most had to leave and 22 was a ncaa cloud. Read the post and Larry broke it down. Sure you’ve not read any of them.

We just had the highest average recruit rating in decades and most blue chips on roster in decades and the best back to back poll ranking since 98 and 99 and the coach has checked out? This is the most ridiculous post I’ve seen in 13 years on the board.
Lol, then you haven't seen many posts in 13 years.

I believe final decision on all staffing should be run past a 99-member panel of Vol Nation members to approve or reject Heupel's recommendation.

Only requirements are that no panel member can ever have played football before, and all supporting information must be hearsay. Also, we need to debate it for at least 20 pages, even if we all agree from the outset (unlikely, admittedly).

I think this will really help our program.
619b77d26b0135dd3a207afe4356044b.jpg

Yeah on Coach Pruitt who basically caused us to lose 2 classes. 21 most had to leave and 22 was a ncaa cloud. Read the post and Larry broke it down. Sure you’ve not read any of them.
I’ve read all of Larry’s posts. He has a different view of the situation and that’s fine. Again, going into year 4… I don’t want to hear about Pruitt at this point. Good/great coaches figure out other paths, especially with the portal now, and they develop the players they’ve got. I’m basing a lot of this off the last 3 years with Martinez (and Banks), but he was here before too under Butch as I’ve stated. It was lackluster at best then too. I refuse to believe that those two guys are the absolute best that we can get. And if that’s true, then again, it’s Heupel placing loyalty above results which won’t end well for him. I’ll leave it at that.

Reactions: LWSVOL and conredge
Butch and Dooley got rid of theirs. Guess they were serious too. Also FIRED. We have results that are the best in decades so let’s fire people. Our D ranked way higher than LSU.
Dooley did not fire Wilcox. He left for another gig. But point taken on Butch. Everyone was excited about Shoop and it was a disaster.

I’ve read all of Larry’s posts. He has a different view of the situation and that’s fine. Again, going into year 4… I don’t want to hear about Pruitt at this point. Good/great coaches figure out other paths, especially with the portal now, and they develop the players they’ve got. I’m basing a lot of this off the last 3 years with Martinez (and Banks), but he was here before too under Butch as I’ve stated. It was lackluster at best then too. I refuse to believe that those two guys are the absolute best that we can get. And if that’s true, then again, it’s Heupel placing loyalty above results which won’t end well for him. I’ll leave it at that.
Best two year ranking in polls since 98 - 99. Most Blue Chips in over 20 years. Best 3 year record in over 20 years. Third best record in SEC over his last three despite all the crap. You don't want to hear about Pruitt but doesn't change the actual FACT he put us in one of the biggest if not the biggest hole in history and you should be thanking him. Ask Danny White if he is happy to have the program where it is now compared to when he took over. He is.

If you are unwilling to face the facts of the past, you will have difficulties in accurately assessing the present and future.

Ok, football genius. Hadden will be LUCKY to be a 3rd or 4th round pick, if not an UFA. He is AWFUL in run support, but since Im CLUELESS about how a REAL DB plays... I’ll let NFL GM's prove it to you. Hes rated about the 30th best DB right now. He "improved" enough to be a passable SEC DB on a team full of Jags. Carry on.
So you’re saying he’s not a real DB because he’s not a 1st or 2nd round pick?

Hadden is rated roughly 30 out of maybe 120 DB’s (and around 20th Cornerback). He is a “real” Db whether you want to admit it or not. In fact, any player that makes it to the NFL is a real player no matter what fans think of him. Something that less than 1% of players get to say they did.

And he calls those schemes because those BB's can't play press man. That's why we get torn apart playing zone all game.

You know, this is the only explanation I’ve heard and considered that makes sense—that our guys simply aren’t athletic enough to play press man.

Hadden is rated roughly 30 out of maybe 120 DB’s (and around 20th Cornerback). He is a “real” Db whether you want to admit it or not. In fact, any player that makes it to the NFL is a real player no matter what fans think of him. Something that less than 1% of players get to say they did.
We'll just have wait and see how big of a "super star" Hadden turns out to be in '24.

Other than applying the NO EXCUSES mantra, regardless of the immediate post Pruitt fact set, what positions have you held in athletics to justify an acceptance of your obvious agenda driven analysis and position by rational folks?

You know, this is the only explanation I’ve heard and considered that makes sense—that our guys simply aren’t athletic enough to play press man.

There’s a lot of great reasons not to play press man. The backup Iowa QB showed us one of the biggest reasons

Just for snicks and giggles it’s not always the DB that is the issue. Dallas this past weekend had an All Pro CB who had defensive plays called for him all day to play zone which Green Bay had prepped for and decimated their defense all day. Also watched this same All Pro called to play 4 yards off the ball on a GB 3rd and 2 which was easily completed in front of him for a first down.

Sometimes coaches and their staffs out coach themselves try8ng to be cute or outsmarting the other guy.

The pros also put less emphasis on run support since the league emphasizes passing much more. a 100 yard rushing game is really great day rushing in the pro's

He was fired because of his performance as a DC. Banks is a DC that coaches safeties. If he’s ever let go, it will be due to his results as a DC. You can’t be that stupid.

Anything else you want to get off your chest?? I’m going to give your one more freebie since It’s kind of cool having a stalker.

This reminds me of another coach called Phil Fulmer.
Which of course leads us to the next two decades after the WE ARE TENNESSEE band opted for the replacement path.

NOTE: Change can in fact bring in WORSE trends and timing can be everything. I have no problem calculating a coach has peaked, but there is value in keeping the valleys shallow until a strong replacement is IN HAND.

My confidence level in our current AD’s oversight for not only HCs but their staffing as well is high. Especially in the bell cow program. Much higher than ANY consortium of detractors specializing in pushing their free speech rights to the wall and beyond. Regardless of their motivations.

I bet DW and CJH have addressed all areas of shortcomings and BEST solution paths. If they pull the trigger tomorrow I am good. If not, especially in light of the room turnover, the assessment appears to be roster change with staff continuity should lead the way.

Let the mindless slings and barbs with indicated zero value add go. THANKFULLY there is NO trend analysis out there to support this AD cannot drive the train better than the guy that pulled the trigger on CPF. Make no mistake he is driving this train, close calls and all.

Which of course leads us to the next two decades after the WE ARE TENNESSEE band opted for the replacement path.

NOTE: Change can in fact bring in WORSE trends and timing can be everything. I have no problem calculating a coach has peaked, but there is value in keeping the valleys shallow until a strong replacement is IN HAND.

My confidence level in our current AD’s oversight for not only HCs but their staffing as well is high. Especially in the bell cow program. Much higher than ANY consortium of detractors specializing in pushing their free speech rights to the wall and beyond. Regardless of their motivations.

I bet DW and CJH have addressed all areas of shortcomings and BEST solution paths. If they pull the trigger tomorrow I am good. If not, especially in light of the room turnover, the assessment appears to be roster change with staff continuity should lead the way.

Let the mindless slings and barbs with indicated zero value add go. THANKFULLY there is NO trend analysis out there to support this AD cannot drive the train better than the guy that pulled the trigger on CPF. Make no mistake he is driving this train, close calls and all.
Currently, I also have faith in the current AD and head football coach. Now LV basketball is a different story.

Currently, I also have faith in the current AD and head football coach. Now LV basketball is a different story.
I still have faith he will make a move WHEN he feels he can improve the program, not just create a vacancy in hope of finding a solution. That gets you Kiffins. Finding some that CAN is not that hard. Finding those that CAN and WILL is different.

NOPE, the red flags are and have been the intelligence and loyalty of FANS that make pronouncements on this situation with their stands and living room perspectives instead of accepting that our AD, HC, and DC get to see every player, and every rep and decide the responsibility for the generally accepted unacceptable level of on field performance and the best solution path.

Arrogance is what it is and has it’s costs on fields and boards. Changing a position coach WITH the level of turnover they orchestrated in those rooms COULD have been assessed a bad risk with worse odds AT THIS TIME.

REDUNDANCY does not really change the questions or the facts. Repackaging a message to attain a status of if you say it enough it must be true ALSO is what it is.
Stupid post

VN Store

Back