Statistical Comparison (TN vs GA)

casual-observer

Pantone 151C
Below is a stats comparison through 11/9 games. For Tennessee - Bowling Green and TN Tech are not included and for Georgia - UAB is not included. So it's +Pitt for UT and +Clemson for UGA and then all SEC (with several comparative opponents). TN has added Alabama and Ole Miss, while GA has Auburn and Arkansas. Honestly, not too much different IMO.

Nothing surprising here. Offensives are very close and UT leads in a few categories. Defenses are polar opposites - GA at the top of every category and TN at the bottom.

1636560273182.png

Below is a stats comparison through 11/9 games. For Tennessee - Bowling Green and TN Tech are not included and for Georgia - UAB is not included. So it's +Pitt for UT and +Clemson for UGA and then all SEC (with several comparative opponents). TN has added Alabama and Ole Miss, while GA has Auburn and Arkansas. Honestly, not too much different IMO.

Nothing surprising here. Offensives are very close and UT leads in a few categories. Defenses are polar opposites - GA at the top of every category and TN at the bottom.

View attachment 410716
Very interesting the offenses are so close. What jumped out and the reason Ga, unfortunately, will win is the defensive difference. Based on this info it should be an entertaining game for awhile. Go Big Orange. I want to see Kirby so stressed he yells and jumps around like the madman we all know he is.

To remain close we need to either force or be the recipients of some game changing turnovers. Other than that...GA by atleast 14-21

Reactions: alavolfan
R.eb8f2601b8aa7e86cf8a8dac6fd9f220

Reactions: volfans1

Scores from the winning team in the National Championship game over the past 9 seasons.

Who wins this year is yet to be determined……we’ll see how this decade span ends.

However now days offenses wins championships…….and it has for a while now.

I’m sure everyone would love to have a great D…….but even the best coaches understand that now days you better have a great offense if you expect to win it all.

Scores from the winning team in the National Championship game over the past 9 seasons.

Who wins this year is yet to be determined……we’ll see how this decade span ends.

This is interesting, thanks for the insight. I have heard the addage: "Defenses Win Championships" (and witnessed Von Miller win one for Manning a couple of years ago).

This made me wonder, statistically, where did the National Champion (rank) as far as total offense:

2020: Alabama (32nd) - defeated Ohio State (59)
2019: LSU (31) - defeated Clemson (6)
2018: Clemson (5) - defeated Alabama (16)
2017: Alabama (1) - defeated Georgia (6)
2016: Clemson (8) - defeated Alabama (1)
2015: Alabama (3) - defeated Clemson (10)
2014: Ohio State (19) - defeated Oregon (89)
2013: Florida State (3) - defeated Auburn (87)
2012: Alabama (1) - defeated Notre Dame (7)
2011: Alabama (1) - defeated LSU (2)
2010: Auburn (60) - defeated Oregon (34)

There are a few of years where the weaker defense won, and some (6) where the defense was top 5...but about half the time it is not the top defense in the country. Interesting study.

Reactions: JoAllan
This is interesting, thanks for the insight. I have heard the addage: "Defenses Win Championships" (and witnessed Von Miller win one for Manning a couple of years ago).

This made me wonder, statistically, where did the National Champion (rank) as far as total offense:

There are a few of years where the weaker defense won, and some (6) where the defense was top 5...but about half the time it is not the top defense in the country. Interesting study.

Just since the playoff system I think it has become apparent teams “need” offense (just my opinion).

In 2015 Ohio State “had” to score more than 35 points to reach the championship game.

2016 Bama “had” to score more than 40 to win the championship.

2017 Clemson “had” to score more than 31.

2018 Georgia “had” to score more than 48 to reach the championship.

2019 Bama “had” to score more than 34

2020 LSU “had” to score more than 28 and then 25 to win.

2021 Ohio Stste “had” to score more than 28 to make the championship.

many of these teams have had at least decent D’s…….and every year but 1 the winning team needed at least 21 points to win the championship game.

The great teams like Bama and Clemson have had good D’s…….however they have each also “been required” to score a ton at times to win it all.

I’m certainly not advocating for weaker D……but now days you better bring some offense or you’ll probably not even get there.

This is a perfect example of jimmies and Joes vs Xs and Os.. I believe we have better coaching/scheme, but Georgia’s talent is on another level. Recruiting is one of, if not the most important quality in a head coach.

View attachment 410716
raw

I’m sure everyone would love to have a great D…….but even the best coaches understand that now days you better have a great offense if you expect to win it all.

Yet the clear cut #1 team in the nation is doing with historic like defense.

Yet the clear cut #1 team in the nation is doing with historic like defense.

Well yea…….however my post stated: “Who wins this year is yet to be determined”

And it stated: “I’m sure everyone would love to have a great D…….but even the best coaches understand that now days you better have a great offense if you expect to win it all.”

Right now Georgia has the 13th best scoring O in the country.

Nowhere did I suggest having a poor D was a good thing. In fact if you read my posts I state otherwise……..I merely provided “facts” that the best teams over the past many years…….have been scoring…….and it’s no longer “defense” wins period.

Idk about any of these other numbers but 2019 LSU had the number 1 offense in the country

Football team stats are always interesting and often misleading........but one of the few areas where Georgia is ranked low is the numbers of plays per game. They are 126th and only run an average of 62 plays per game (only 54 plays the last 3 games average). Now, they are still ranked 13th in points put up, just ahead of Tennessee. Of course that means they are very efficient in points per play, but that also means they want to grind it out with occasional chunk plays. And Tennessee was originally a very high play per game number, but of late we have had our defense on the field for 85 to 99 plays. So is there anything here in the numbers that bodes well for the Vols? Most believe we cannot put together 8 and 10 play drives. So is this a game where we will run our fast break and no huddle, but run the play clock down to 5 much of the time to stretch out our possessions? It will be interesting to see Coach Heup's approach.

Stats are usually a good indicator but a couple of turnovers in our favor and who knows what might happen. That's why you play the games! Go Vols!!!

The scores of the losing team would be more significant, would you not think? For example, 52-42 supports your theory. 52-24 does not.

Go Vols.

The scores of the losing team would be more significant, would you not think? For example, 52-42 supports your theory. 52-24 does not.

Go Vols.

24 points vs the best teams in the country……and sometimes some of the best D’s…….is pretty good……being “forced” to score more than 24 to win (when you have supposedly a good D) to me verifies things have changed.

I have another post explaining this further; showing how each year teams in the playoffs have “had” to score quite a bit of points in order to make it to the championship game or win it.

Folks can disagree, however the stats speak for themselves. Teams winning it all now days at least have “good” O’s.

Reactions: casual-observer
Football team stats are always interesting and often misleading........but one of the few areas where Georgia is ranked low is the numbers of plays per game. They are 126th and only run an average of 62 plays per game (only 54 plays the last 3 games average). Now, they are still ranked 13th in points put up, just ahead of Tennessee. Of course that means they are very efficient in points per play, but that also means they want to grind it out with occasional chunk plays. And Tennessee was originally a very high play per game number, but of late we have had our defense on the field for 85 to 99 plays. So is there anything here in the numbers that bodes well for the Vols? Most believe we cannot put together 8 and 10 play drives. So is this a game where we will run our fast break and no huddle, but run the play clock down to 5 much of the time to stretch out our possessions? It will be interesting to see Coach Heup's approach.
Dawgs run many fewer plays per game, but if you look at the Cocktail Party, for instance, the game was very tight until 2:30 in the first half. Dawgs scored 21 points with two offensive plays...a short field RB score after a strip of the QB, followed by a 40 yd dime by Bennett after an INT, and then a pick6. Dawgs have scored more points off turnovers (68), than the team has allowed opponents to score (56). The defense is good, as is well chronicled. UTs offense is the best by far that UGA has faced. But don't sleep on the Dawgs offense. It should be an entertaining afternoon. I'd take the over.

Reactions: HiltonHeadVol
Dawgs run many fewer plays per game, but if you look at the Cocktail Party, for instance, the game was very tight until 2:30 in the first half. Dawgs scored 21 points with two offensive plays...a short field RB score after a strip of the QB, followed by a 40 yd dime by Bennett after an INT, and then a pick6. Dawgs have scored more points off turnovers (68), than the team has allowed opponents to score (56). The defense is good, as is well chronicled. UTs offense is the best by far that UGA has faced. But don't sleep on the Dawgs offense. It should be an entertaining afternoon. I'd take the over.
If you look at total offense rankings, Florida is the best offense they have played. And you saw how that worked out. UGA offense stat wise is very similar to UT.

24 points vs the best teams in the country……and sometimes some of the best D’s…….is pretty good……being “forced” to score more than 24 to win (when you have supposedly a good D) to me verifies things have changed.

I have another post explaining this further; showing how each year teams in the playoffs have “had” to score quite a bit of points in order to make it to the championship game or win it.

Folks can disagree, however the stats speak for themselves. Teams winning it all now days at least have “good” O’s.

I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you, but perhaps I should have worded my post better. My example was that 52-42 means that the offense had to score a lot of points, while 52-24 indicates that the defense played well. Thus, the score of the losing team would be more of an indicator as to whether or not "defense" won the game. That's what I was going for.

Another example or two, and I'm not hunting for a counter-point(s) here, but UGA opened the season with a 10-3 win over Clemson. Neither team scored an offensive touchdown. Thus, defense won that game for UGA. UT-UK. UT had a pick 6. While everyone points to the FG at the end of the 1st half, which provided the margin of victory, I could make the argument that the UK offense actually outscored the UT offense (which they did), and it was defense...the pick 6...that won the game. UT-Ole Miss. The strip 6 that was overturned would have provided a win. Thus, defense could have, and should have, won that game.

Bama, while being the dominant team of the past decade, seems only to lose when it's a shootout, lending weight to your argument.

Returning to the present, IMO it will the the UGA defense which will tell the tale here. They are tough, and they are talented. The UT offense will have tough sledding on Saturday, and that...coupled with the likelihood that an undermanned UT defense will spend a lot of time on the field...will tip the scales in UGA's favor. Yes, it will be the UGA offense that scores the points, but it will be the UGA defense that sets them up for as many possessions, and points, as they need.

In any event, Go Vols.

Reactions: JoAllan

VN Store

Back