Statement from UT and Pruitt on COVID

Covid is the excuse to keep the SEC off our backs. If you don't think this has more to do than the WuFlu... I dont know what to tell you. UT is NOT paying bowl bonuses for a THREE win staff. Higher ups nixed it quick. May be the end for Fulmer.
A quick google search would have told you the assistant coaches and strength coach agreed to waive any bowl game bonus this year. And Pruitt would not have one either under the terms of his contract extension.... but carry on...

If you’re a player why in the hell would you want to play in a pointless bowl with a terrible coach? Spend extra time quarantined with extra practices and none of the usual activities at a bowl game? I doubt Covid protocol has as much to do with this as players and player families telling no thanks.

Reactions: SmokeyDog1973
Something is amiss here. This is as fishy as fishy gets. First he left to attend a funeral. Now we have Covid. Not saying they may not have it but something is not right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tnman1
no other team has had this big of an outbreak and to top it off half the team supposedly got covid already in the spring..... the timing of this... if you think this is covid related, I got some East Tennessee Gruden property to sell ya

no other team has had this big of an outbreak and to top it off half the team supposedly got covid already in the spring..... the timing of this... if you think this is covid related, I got some East Tennessee Gruden property to sell ya
Games have been canceled all over the place this year. And half the team didn't test positive - they had to sit out due to contact tracing after being potentially exposed. Big difference.

This is a smokescreen for all the drama going on behind the scenes. I’m sure the players didn’t want to play in this meaningless game and risk getting covid or getting hurt and losing again. If I was a player I wouldn’t want to play and lay it all out for Pruitt and especially not after this season.

Did you really think we did? It's actually embarrassing that we were going. I know it was due to bowl tie-ins with the SEC, but shoot, we REALLY DIDN'T DESERVE IT.
No, I do not. I do however believe that it would have helped our team because we would have been granted more practices. This will help HB a ton IMO.

Did you really think we did? It's actually embarrassing that we were going. I know it was due to bowl tie-ins with the SEC, but shoot, we REALLY DIDN'T DESERVE IT.
I agree they didn’t deserve a bowl bid, but they also played an all-SEC schedule. The normal year has 8 SEC and 4 out of conference games. This year, TN won 3 conf games and probably would have have gone 3-1 against our original out-of-conf foes (Charlotte, OU, Furman and Troy). This would have brought them to 6 wins and qualified them for a bowl game.

Reactions: Vol4life2
This is a smokescreen for all the drama going on behind the scenes. I’m sure the players didn’t want to play in this meaningless game and risk getting covid or getting hurt and losing again. If I was a player I wouldn’t want to play and lay it all out for Pruitt and especially not after this season.

While most of us are no fans of Pruitt, I wouldn’t engage in this sort of conjecture if I were you.

Reactions: VolNExile
Covid is the excuse to keep the SEC off our backs. If you don't think this has more to do than the WuFlu... I dont know what to tell you. UT is NOT paying bowl bonuses for a THREE win staff. Higher ups nixed it quick. May be the end for Fulmer.
The coaches already agreed to no bowl bonuses before this

Reactions: jeff1vol
A quick google search would have told you the assistant coaches and strength coach agreed to waive any bowl game bonus this year. And Pruitt would not have one either under the terms of his contract extension.... but carry on...
Good enough. Didnt know that. But I just read that Fulmer had a bowl bonus too. Did he agree to not take it too?

VN Store

Back