State of Tennessee Wins the Injunction

I think that has been the aim of the NCAA also. They hired a former Governor of MA to lead the way and he's probably making calls and getting lobbying efforts (everyone needs to get paid to make Congress do anything, IMO) lined up.

I'm just not convinced Congress can fix anything very successfully related to compensation for college athletics while they cannot come close to passing fiscally responsible budgets for the nation.

Someone in the thread is arguing young people make bad decisions with money so we should "protect" them by limiting their access to it. Congress isn't young and they've been throwing money into the wind my entire life. I'm more skeptical of Congress than I am of college kids when it comes to money.
I also doubt Congress's competence, just not their legal authority in this situation.

No one said UT shouldn't do all they can and have the set up for all that can give all the money they can to get the best athletes! What some people mean is that the NIL money these teenagers are getting is insane and needs to be capped and controlled better! How would you feel as a coach working 100 hours a week with a weekly check of less than 10% of what a smart mouthed and disrespectful player was making who didn't even do much to benefit the team?
The free market will take care of setting values for the players. There is no way a player will make more than the coaches. Not gonna happen.

It’s possible you’re misrepresenting his reporting. Marcos Garza was on the show and said it was 60/40 likely that TN would lose the TRO, which they did. Did you credit them for getting that right? Since then all the talk I heard was that the injunction could go either way, TN was likely to win the overall case, and that TN would fight any NOA that comes from the NCAA if it ever did.

Of course you would obsess over another man’s butt. :oops: Boom roasted
TB,after the TRO was denied, kept the narrative going that Tennessee would likely lose the injunction, completely ignoring the judges statement in the TRO ruling saying “the plaintiffs are likely to win” the injunction. He then proceeded explain the appeal process, that it would be in Cincinnati, etc.

He did say Tennessee would likely win the trial if it came/comes to that.

Reactions: butchna
It’s possible you’re misrepresenting his reporting. Marcos Garza was on the show and said it was 60/40 likely that TN would lose the TRO, which they did. Did you credit them for getting that right? Since then all the talk I heard was that the injunction could go either way, TN was likely to win the overall case, and that TN would fight any NOA that comes from the NCAA if it ever did.

Of course you would obsess over another man’s butt. :oops: Boom roasted
Basilio has a VN account?

TB,after the TRO was denied, kept the narrative going that Tennessee would likely lose the injunction, completely ignoring the judges statement in the TRO ruling saying “the plaintiffs are likely to win” the injunction. He then proceeded explain the appeal process, that it would be in Cincinnati, etc.

He did say Tennessee would likely win the trial if it came/comes to that.
When the judge said "the plaintiffs are likely to win" he was talking about at a trial "on the merits". A trial on the merits has not occurred yet, but being granted an injunction is a good sign in that regard, I read somewhere the odds of prevailing at trial were about 80% for plaintiffs who were granted a preliminary injunction. I'm not an antitrust lawyer but I have litigated for 20 plus years and have been through this procedural process of TRO, Injunction and Trial in other areas (business disputes/health care). Most TRO's are not granted. This injunction could have gone either way. Having won it we are well positioned for the remainder of the litigation.

NCAA is dead for big time college football. Now the big schools need to get together and decide how they want to govern themselves in the future.
They can't do that for the same reason the NCAA can't. Any consortium of the main players is going to be a monopoly just like the NCAA. The NCAA by another name is still going to be powerless.

They can't do that for the same reason the NCAA can't. Any consortium of the main players is going to be a monopoly just like the NCAA. The NCAA by another name is still going to be powerless.
Everything about college football looks like a pro sport - revenue, stadiums, skyboxes, merchandising. There is just no way for it to be regulated like an amateur sport.

IMHO, the only solution is regulation of the league as a monopoly with an antitrust exemption (like other pro sports). NCAA may or may not manage the monopoly.

Everything about college football looks like a pro sport - revenue, stadiums, skyboxes, merchandising. There is just no way for it to be regulated like an amateur sport.

IMHO, the only solution is regulation of the league as a monopoly with an antitrust exemption (like other pro sports). NCAA may or may not manage the monopoly.
College sports aren't pro sports...yet.

I'm well aware they're on a crash course with some form of revenue sharing. I said athletic deparments are going to have to cut other teams and reduce the number of sports they support to cover the loss of revenue. That's how "half a loaf" is gonna work. And hey, that doesn't seem to bother a lot of people, so - full speed ahead.
Coaching salaries not growing exponentially would probably cover alot of the losses well. I'm not an expert on Title IX but my understanding is that there needs to be a comparable number of women's sports to men or you violate that federal law, so I think they'll probably remain in compliance with Title IX and spend a bit less extravagantly on coaches and facilities in order to make half a loaf work.

Coaching salaries not growing exponentially would probably cover alot of the losses well. I'm not an expert on Title IX but my understanding is that there needs to be a comparable number of women's sports to men or you violate that federal law, so I think they'll probably remain in compliance with Title IX and spend a bit less extravagantly on coaches and facilities in order to make half a loaf work.
Easy solution. Just add women's football.
I'd watch it. Schedule home games when the men are away and on bye weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bms4880
There are no rules to discuss, its pay for play to the highest bidder, or the students choice. Nothing to discuss.

THIS!!! When the athlete and his advisors sit down and negotiate a contract with the NIL supplier of money, the NCAA does not even have a person in the room, knows the time nor location of the meeting, nor should they be included at all. The contract is between the athlete and NIL supplier, PERIOD. The NCAA and the associated schools have nothing to do with it, nor should they.

Has the NCAA announced whether it will appeal the injunction?

If so, we'll have to wait for that, as well as the trial decision, and any appeals from that.

I just want to come in and say. This doesn't affect me in the slightest. My Saturday entertainment will still be there no matter how much money the kids have in the bank. My opinion, if I had one, is irrelevant. Go Vols!

This is where I'm at, for the most part. I'm not throwing a red cent to any NIL collective, but I'll damn sure still enjoy going to the games either way. GBO!

Money from regular joe blows is not where most NIL money comes from anyway. It comes from the same places it did before NIL big pocket boosters. What has changed is now businesses can directly sign up. If you are in a position to and want to sure donating to a legit collective is something that will contribute but even if you dont they will be fine. The money will flow. Now the athletes will get a small cut and even no names sacrificing their bodies for love of the game get something.

The attitude of the NCAA is typical of organizations that gain control or power without really working to earn it. They forced this when the investigators came to Knoxville to powerplay Plowman, then went back and leaked the "big story" to Forde. They got what they deserve. The Dept of Motor Vehicles has more respect now.
God help you if you go into the dept. of motor vehicles and disrespect them.

Reactions: kcvols1
Easy solution. Just add women's football.
I'd watch it. Schedule home games when the men are away and on bye weeks.
Women's football? Lingerie football or full uniform?
In a more serious vein, I'd like to see Neyland host any of the following as paid community events.
1. Televised Vols away games on jumbo screens, and making it a party-like atmosphere.
2. Host themed concerts: Rock & Roll, Country, Local musicians, Swing, Patriotic, Pop, you get the idea.
3. Host major high school football games featuring the biggest rivalries, maybe cross-state, or interstate southern schools.
4. MAYBE, make Neyland a giant laser tag event.

Reactions: preacherwebb
In a more serious vein, I'd like to see Neyland host any of the following as paid community events.
1. Televised Vols away games on jumbo screens, and making it a party-like atmosphere.
2. Host themed concerts: Rock & Roll, Country, Local musicians, Swing, Patriotic, Pop, you get the idea.
3. Host major high school football games featuring the biggest rivalries, maybe cross-state, or interstate southern schools.

Convert the cheerleaders to football players and rain NIL on them.

If Manchester United can have a women's team, why can't we? 😁😁

Last edited:
As for your 2...

I know that Clemson and South Carolina already do that, especially concerts.

I went to the Eagles Hell Freezes Over tour concert at Clemson and it was awesome.

South Carolina and Clemson rotate their state high school championship games, too. When my local team played South Point (Rock Hill)
at Clemson a few years ago, we had almost 20,000 people at the game on a freezing cold, very windy night.

Last edited:
Reactions: WoodsmanVol
You would think the results of this injunction would warrant news coverage because of the potential impact it has on all college football.. But 247 sports doesn't say a word about it 🤪 However, they historically put any bad news (like the NCAA investigation) about UT on their front page for a week or more. SAD :(👎👎👎

Josh Pate brought up an interesting advantage Tennessee has with NIL and that is the lack of a State income Tax.
Right alongside Florida, Texas, Washington, Nevada, Alaska, New Hampshire, South Dakota, and Wyoming.

We are not as unique in that regard as you might think.

Not all of those are big college football states, but Tennessee, Florida, Texas, and Washington certainly are.

Go Vols!

VN Store

Back