Stat comparisons 2017, 2018, 2019

Less explosive plays and points against us every year.

TFL margin is an telling stat in my book. -27 to -24 to +2 is awesome and I think the biggest reason for the jump from 4 wins to 5 to 8. Hopefully we can get that number somewhere in the positive double digits next season

Reactions: Nickoli and Remy
Defense obviously improved all facets in 2019. The improvement in pass rush was noticeable.

Offense improved in 2019 (thanks Calloway and JJ), but still a ways to go. Like Mojo said, the red zone O stunk. Sorry to beat a dead horse, but when a QB can’t make plays with his feet or throw on time, the red zone O is handicapped.

Need to reduce penalties, especially pre snap. Should have had about 40 less penalty yards against Bama, but the Birmingham crew saw Bama was in a dogfight without Tua, and decided to assist.

Punting in 2019 was mediocre at best. Need a breakout performance from Paxton Brooks or whomever.

Reactions: Cherokee Orange
This is awesome. It shows us that we are a solid team and we arent that far off from being a really good team. I think this being the 3rd year for a lot of guys will go along way in terms of sharpening some of those weaknesses.

Red zone efficiency sucked. Although much better on (money down) third down.

If we have a breakout year this year given the current climate did Corona-virus save the Vols?

Redzone O, too many FGs and INTs, still not enough offensive plays....

Defensively, we're beginning to get takeaways like a championship team. We've gotta continue to get better at pressuring the QB.

The future is really bright defensively. I'm hoping our offensive sees as much improvement next year as our D had this year....

Icing from the cupcakes.

Look at stats from the big three games.

It's a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll.

Last edited:
Good to see us improving on anything, w exception of topping the list of schools that owe big money to horrible past coaches.

Thanks for the info.

As everyone knows our red zone offense has to improve. Not sure if the issue is our QB is scared to make plays down there in fear of turning it over which has been a issue or our play calling by Chaney and the offensive staff is in fear of our QB's turning it over....or a combination of both.

The best thing to eliminate the issue is to get our run game to where we say....We are running it right here, try and stop it.

Red zone offensive effectiveness - more 6s, less 3s, no 0s. Be effective inside the 20s, more wins will follow.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Hard to do anything BUT improve from the disaster that was 2017 (or part of 2018). It does show, however, show that our staff can coach up and get guys bought in. I think that speaks well for the long term of the program. Really hoping this is the year we make the turn to that next level again.

I'm hoping that the O takes a huge leap under Chaney in year 2. IIRC, stats show Chaney's offenses improve a bunch in the second season.

VN Store

Back