Stat Breakdown TN-IU

VolBricks

May the Orange be with you!
Last edited:
Comparative stats are dubious when teams play vs. different competition under different circumstances. An SEC defense with a 100 ranking may be better than a Pac 10 team with a 50 ranking. Comparative stats are interesting, but not entirely "comparative".
The article itself says as much

According to these “Stats”...Tennessee is DOOMED!

might as well not even play the game...

giphy.gif

Context is king. IU allows 24.5 ppg. Sounds good.... except that they have allowed 21.3 ppg vs the 8 teams with a non-winning record they faced and a whopping 41.3 against the 3 teams with a winning record. Similar in scoring O. Against the 8 teams with losing records they faced, they scored 36 ppg. Against the 3 winning teams they faced they only scored 17 ppg.

UT played 7 FBS schools with a winning record and scored 19 ppg against them vs 28.3 against losers. They allowed 28.4 ppg against opponents with winning records and 15.3 against the others.

Under "what have you done lately"... UT scored 24.8 ppg and allowed 12.5 ppg in November. IU scored 29.8 while allowing 29.3.

I like UT in this game too, but do you really think the game will be that lopsided? I have seen UI play once this year when they gave Penn State a run for their money.

Watch what Memphis does to Penn State.

Look at IU other games. Ball State by 10 points. Maryland by 7...
They were fortunate enough to play the weak side of the other division and still lost to a 6-6 Michigan State team.

And they've played one defense that is better than ours.

Watch what Memphis does to Penn State.

Look at IU other games. Ball State by 10 points. Maryland by 7...
They were fortunate enough to play the weak side of the other division and still lost to a 6-6 Michigan State team.

And they've played one defense that is better than ours.

I expect Memphis to lose to Penn State but do agree with you about the rest of the points you made.

I expect Memphis to lose to Penn State but do agree with you about the rest of the points you made.

And I'm not down on the Big Ten. I think they are the 2nd best conference this year and have the best overall team.

If you're Kirby Smart, how in the hell do you let Justin Fields transfer? People are all over the Jalen Hurts story-which is great in it's own right, but my goodness. Justin Fields was arguably the best player in the country as a first year starter. And he's going to torch that Clemson defense imo.

Memphis vs Penn State is the most intriguing Bowl game to me. Penn State is not a slow team, but Memphis is so versatile and have recruited very good speed at all levels. They have the better more reliable offense and I think that is what will give them the victory.

Reactions: barrylee
Never gives these type of stats much credit, UT played a much harder schedule than Indiana, not taking anything from them, it does take a certain level of talent to get those numbers. It is my opinion these teams are fairly matched, I give UT the edge 32 - 21 UT. Both teams will have decent numbers, UT wins the turnover stat.

Go Vols!!

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Never gives these type of stats much credit, UT played a much harder schedule than Indiana, not taking anything from them, it does take a certain level of talent to get those numbers. It is my opinion these teams are fairly matched, I give UT the edge 32 - 21 UT. Both teams will have decent numbers, UT wins the turnover stat.

Go Vols!!
I agree with you except how do we and IU have similar FPI rankings if we played a much harder schedule? I know ESPN hates us but you would think that the computer that calculates the FPI would give us a fair shake. I think this game is closer than most think but I do think UT wins in the end.

I felt this very same way a couple of years ago when we rolled Northwestern.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
And I'm not down on the Big Ten. I think they are the 2nd best conference this year and have the best overall team.

If you're Kirby Smart, how in the hell do you let Justin Fields transfer? People are all over the Jalen Hurts story-which is great in it's own right, but my goodness. Justin Fields was arguably the best player in the country as a first year starter. And he's going to torch that Clemson defense imo.

Memphis vs Penn State is the most intriguing Bowl game to me. Penn State is not a slow team, but Memphis is so versatile and have recruited very good speed at all levels. They have the better more reliable offense and I think that is what will give them the victory.
I think Clemson's DC is gonna scorch Fields. I don't think he'll be effective at all. That's my super not so hot take but I believe Clemson's experience and their athletes will be too much for Ohio State.

VN Store

Back