Starting Tailback

DWNSTHVOL

Lets say Houston is named starting tailback for Sunday. Even though Larkin and Riggs has shown better improvement in there running game. It is back to Houston and Davis .

How do you fell about the season then . I think it will be another season like the last two. :) but without A major bowl bid. same old stuff.. Don't get me wrong if they can get the job done then let them, but don't be suprised if Houston is named the starter..

If so look for UT to go 6-5 and the coaching staff to get crucified and I'll lead the charge.

I don't care who's in there as long as the o-line can make some holes and the backs are quick enough to see them. ;)

Originally posted by GIVEHIM-6@Aug 31, 2004 6:50 AM
I don't care who's in there as long as the o-line can make some holes and the backs are quick enough to see them. ;)

Can I get a "PUP" ........ Someone ...Anyone..... PUP = Pad Under Pad....your running game begins with the O-Line

;)

I heard Fulmer say last night on Vol Calls that if the season started today Ced would be the starter. I felt that last season the O-line played well enough but the backs needed to make more happen. I am hoping that Riggs or Larkins would get the chance to prove that they can make things happen, because Houston and Davis hasn’t been the back to make things happen since they have been at UT. Last Season if the offense had a back lick C. Williams at Auburn then UT would have had a better season. That is just my 2 cents.

Gunner

I heard through the grapevine (local trainer who knows the ut athletic trainers in K-town) that Houston has never been in good shape. That is why he continues to get nagging injuries and also gets caught from behind so often. When he's fresh he runs okay, but he tires easily and that is when he production drops. Just hearsay, but it could have some validity?

I wouldn't doubt that he looked sluggish all season to me, good backs get stronger and more explosive as the game progresses, Houstan has not done that yet (just my opinion) and Davis (I think )has been used for what he is good for... short yrd situations.

Houston doesn't see the holes or the cut back lanes. Davis is a Fullback. If Houston starts then what does that say to the 2 players that have out performed him all fall and what does that say to recruits and what message does that send to the rest of the team. Foolish, Stupid and Bad move.

Oh yeah and I guess since Trooper doesn't know anything about RB's then Fulmer MUST be the genius behind this. Trooper has said all along it would be Larkins or Riggs. Way to blow off your asst. coach there DONUTBOY!

Volstorm why do u think that starting Houston is a load of crap????? It seems to me that the only load of crap I smell seems to be you. If Fulmer thinks that Houston should start then do you not think that Fulmer must have a very good reason to start Houston otherwise he wouldn't be starting Houston and if you don't like my comment well then you can just :biteme:

Originally posted by Volowell@Aug 31, 2004 12:18 PM
Volstorm why do u think that starting Houston is a load of crap????? It seems to me that the only load of crap I smell seems to be you. If Fulmer thinks that Houston should start then do you not think that Fulmer must have a very good reason to start Houston otherwise he wouldn't be starting Houston and if you don't like my comment well then you can just :biteme:

Where have you been the last two years. Fulmer is not playing to win games he is playing who he likes he does not like Larkins and he tells it and Riggs is in waiting for next season when Houston and Davis is gone. Riggs and Larkin showed up for fall pratice and are willing to play hard for the national title if you feel what Fulmer is saying then be prepared for another season of close games and Ga. or Fl. to go to ATL. :bash:

Fulmer is not playing to win games he is playing who he likes

:withstupid:

Whether you like his coaching or not how can you say he's not trying to win games.... :huh: check the record boys...there are alot of programs that would love to have the W/L regular season record we have (maybe not the bowl record). I don't like alot of the decisions he makes but I do think he has class and integrity and he represents the Big Orange well.

Check the record since 98, Fulmer has lost something and part of that is his ability to evaluate the talent on the team. Houston starting is a sign that he has given up on this season. Otherwise he would play the players that give him and UT a chance to win. UT has not had a TB problem this bad since the late 70's. Houston should be getting splinters not carries. Fulmer has already given up on the running game, UT will get less than 1500 rushing yards this year and finish no better than 10 in the SEC due to STUPIDITY!

If you don't like MY post then you can :biteme: :shakeit:

Volowell your argument is :bs: and :lame: .

Who in the blue hell do you think you are?

Houston does not have what it takes to be a premier running back in the SEC. He hasn't done it in 3 years, he can't do it now. All during the Spring, Summer and now Fall practices Houston has been shown up by Larkins, Yancey and especially Gerald Riggs, Jr.. When Trooper came here we were promised that the tailback job was up for grabs and the best player would start, and we were lied to. Fulmer took the choice out of Taylor's hands because Houston is a Senior plain and simple. So no I don't think that Fulmer has a good reason to start Houston. Houston has no vision or breakaway speed. All he does is run into the back of a lineman and fall down. He is an average back at best, and we have better talent than that. It's like 1997, and Mark Levine is going to start over Jamal Lewis all over again.

Get the wool out of your eyes sheep.

I agree that I feel as if Fulmer approaches the game more and more like Johnny Majors. However, I felt that the demotion of CJ Leak indicated that Fulmer was not scared to bench a player with seniority over a player with more talent. Maybe the talk of Larkins and Riggs was meant to motivate Houston? He definately has talent, he was like the 6th rated running back in the country out of high school.

Here an exerpt from the Kingsport Times:
Houston's constant battle with nagging, minor injuries is another reason the tailback position remains up for grabs, despite his team-high 744 yards in 2003.

Last season, Houston missed one full game and parts of two others due to a concussion and a bum ankle. The year before, thigh and thumb problems severely limited Houston in a four-game stretch.

While no one can predict if or when an injury might take place, Houston did his part to ensure he stays healthy this season. For him, that meant a lot more stretching and time in the ice tub. Meanwhile, in an attempt to help his numbers, the 6-foot Houston has dropped his weight down to 213 pounds - and is shooting for 208 by the Sept. 5 opener against UNLV.

"I think my burst wasn't like it should be," he said. "It was hard because I had to eat good for a couple months, had to give up those fried foods."

However, giving up all the fast-food combo meals in the world won't diminish the formidable ability of Houston's cohorts in the backfield.

Jabari Davis (565 yards, 8 TD) and Gerald Riggs (207 yds, 1 TD) both had significant contributions last season, while David Yancey impressed in the spring game.

Originally posted by Volstorm@Aug 31, 2004 4:33 PM
Who in the blue hell do you think you are? 

:dlol: :dlol: :dlol: :dlol:

Aaaahhhhhh - after an offseason of peace and harmony, Storm quickly gets into midseason form. :D

BTW - I think you guys are overreacting about Houston, but I don't dare make a full post for fear of retribution!

After Peach Bowl II, I'm always in mid-season form. I just don't bring it out unless provoked.

Fulmer said that all of the tailbacks (Riggs, Houston, Lakins, Davis) would see playing time. But I've heard that before.

I agree with you VolStorm in the fact that I feel that we were lied to. If Fulmer cam out and said that Houston was the senior and would start and everyone else would compete for the backup, then fine. Fulmer stated that the job was up for grabs and whoever graded out/performed the best would win. No one will tell you that Houston played the best in practice. I have no doubt that Fulmer has a reason for doing what he is doing....I just can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

He's using the same brilliant part of his mind that he used to start Mark Levine ahead of Jamal Lewis.

UGA - going up
LSU - going up
Florida - Going Down
Ole MIss - Going Down
Arkansas - Going Down
UT - Going Down

VN Store

Back