Starting RB

VolTSX23

UT Alumnus
Ok who do you think will be the starting RB for Memphis? Are we going to go with Hardesty who started last game, or Coker who played very well last game. If Foster comes back this game are they going to give him the starting position back? Just wondering what everyones thoughts were

I'd say if Foster comes back, he will play sparingly, so he can be fully prepared for Georgia. I don't see us springing too many long runs against Georgia's defense, which will neutralize speed. Foster's experience and ability to pick up whatever yardage is available will be critical in that game.

I think they still start Hardesty but I think it will be a 50/50 split on the carries until one of them gets hot.

I think a huge mistake is being made here, among us the posters. What has Arian Foster done this year but show up and recieve accolades? I mean in the past he's been an adequate back, and his momma, allegedly, showed up here passively demanding our support and structure through several posts. He's been hurt most of the time, like a motor at jim-bobs thats always being worked on but never quite makes it to installation. Arian Foster you are at one of the all time top 10 football universities in the land....that like many UT backs b4 you will springboard you to a 6 figure salary in the NFL for services rendered.....What do the Vol fans get in return? Bout time you stepped up to the challenge, answered the call....be a he stud and give the Vol fans their meat...then you get the NFL.

I think the start will go to Hardesty and Coker will see plenty of snaps. If Foster is healthy enough, he should get some carries to get him back to speed.

I think a huge mistake is being made here, among us the posters. What has Arian Foster done this year but show up and recieve accolades? I mean in the past he's been an adequate back, and his momma, allegedly, showed up here passively demanding our support and structure through several posts. He's been hurt most of the time, like a motor at jim-bobs thats always being worked on but never quite makes it to installation. Arian Foster you are at one of the all time top 10 football universities in the land....that like many UT backs b4 you will springboard you to a 6 figure salary in the NFL for services rendered.....What do the Vol fans get in return? Bout time you stepped up to the challenge, answered the call....be a he stud and give the Vol fans their meat...then you get the NFL.

Jamal Lewis was hurt pretty frequently for the Vols. He played football yesterday. I don't see how a huge mistake is being made. Arian is the only back that has produced anything significant at this point. Coker had one good game against a pretty crappy defense. Hardesty has made a few plays. Foster has ran for more yardage than the other two combined. If you want someone to be a stud and play through injuries, how about Arian playing several games last year with two shoulders that required surgery? I think his knee was also banged up. Meanwhile, you've got Hardesty and Coker on the sideline nursing injuries. Don't come on here and question Foster's toughness because he sat out a game against Marshall while Coker broke a big run on a team from a conference famous for poor defense. That's just ridiculous.

It doesn't matter who starts, they will both play. If I was Fulmer I would start Coker. He earned it. I don't think you will see Foster play against Memphis. He will not be needed for us to beat them, so I think we will stick with Coker and Hardesty.

Jamal Lewis was hurt pretty frequently for the Vols. He played football yesterday. I don't see how a huge mistake is being made. Arian is the only back that has produced anything significant at this point. Coker had one good game against a pretty crappy defense. Hardesty has made a few plays. Foster has ran for more yardage than the other two combined. If you want someone to be a stud and play through injuries, how about Arian playing several games last year with two shoulders that required surgery? I think his knee was also banged up. Meanwhile, you've got Hardesty and Coker on the sideline nursing injuries. Don't come on here and question Foster's toughness because he sat out a game against Marshall while Coker broke a big run on a team from a conference famous for poor defense. That's just ridiculous.
I'll tell you what I think is ridiculous. Is a player of Arians ability that is a no show when he's needed (Gators), not just the Marshall game where I might have benched him to avoid a injury where a far lesser team was played and to risk him to injury isnt worth it. Mark my words , we''ll end up squeaking by Memphis because their HC is an old school DC and he's tough as nails. We'll get the win on raw athletic ability.....then we face Georgia, where Arian will come out amazingly healed because he and his intrests know that a good performance against Georgia will get him noticed. Typical springboard tactic of an NFL minded kid that uses a div1a school to further his intrests. Whats ridiculous to me is people buying in to this kid, he has done precious little to further the Vols intrest but sits and waits for his opportunity to shine. When its said and done he''ll get drafted 3rd round and he'll not do to well because he has no heart. He has some athletic ability and a wheelbarrow load of selfish smack.

I agree with what you say about Foster. There is no point in playing him against Marshall and he is the only one of the three who has done it game after game against top notch competition week in and week out...SO FAR. You are also right that Coker has only had one good game but there is a pretty good reason for that...IT'S THE ONLY CHANCE HE'S HAD TO GET MORE THAN A REP OR TWO! As for Marshall's defense...they pretty well shut Hardesty down most of the game. Two points: If Coker gets past the LB's, he will run away from almost anyone in the country (and neither Hardesty nor Foster would have taken it 89.) He ran a 4.28 last year in Knoxville and a 4.3 at the Nike camp as a senior in HS. The quesion about him has been his toughness and his ability to hold onto the ball. Saturday, in his only real chance to carry the ball, he ran hard between the tackles and held on to the ball. If Foster is healthy, I think you go Foster, Coker, Hardesty. If he's not, you go Coker, Hardesty, Yancey. Not to take anything away from Hardesty...I think he is a very good back. I just think that if Coker continues to hold on to the ball and run hard between the tackles, with that speed, he has a chance to be really special. When was the last time there was a legitimate threat at UT to go the distance every time he touches the ball? That's what Coker gives you.

I saw Coker play a lot in high school here in Nashville. He is an amazing back and loves UT. He talked about how much he wanted to play at UT when he was only a sophomore. Give me a home grown talent like Coker any day over a west coast kid. That being said, Foster gets the nod if he is healthy but the other two get reps. If Coker out-plays the others then....he starts. Same thing for Hardesty and Foster. I'm just partial to the local talent. One thing is for sure though... it is a good problem to have, 3 backs pushing each other for playing time.:dance2:

I agree with what you say about Foster. There is no point in playing him against Marshall and he is the only one of the three who has done it game after game against top notch competition week in and week out...

Please enlighten us by telling us who this top notch competition is that Foster has performed well against week in and week out because I was unaware that the likes of Vanderbilt and Kentucky were considered top notch competition.

I don't necesarrily diagree with you on this, I just don't know enough about Foster to comment. He doesn't appear ot have too much of a foothold established as a solid, consistent back, and I did like what Coker showed on saturday. I also refer committment and toughness for the team to the likes of Harrell. Could have gone ahead w/surgery, but wanted that one last Gator game. He'll get a combine invite for that alone after he shows he healed.

Please enlighten us by telling us who this top notch competition is that Foster has performed well against week in and week out because I was unaware that the likes of Vanderbilt and Kentucky were considered top notch competition.
You don't think Foster proved himself last year? He finished the year w/ 5 straight 100 yd games (and Notre Dame was one of them). I don't care which SEC team it is (VU included)...228 in a game is proving yourself. They probably should've quit fooling with the fool (GR) and gone with him earlier. Do I think he's an all-time great? No. Do I think he has proven himself? Absolutely.

You don't think Foster proved himself last year? He finished the year w/ 5 straight 100 yd games (and Notre Dame was one of them). I don't care which SEC team it is (VU included)...228 in a game is proving yourself. They probably should've quit fooling with the fool (GR) and gone with him earlier. Do I think he's an all-time great? No. Do I think he has proven himself? Absolutely.

For once we agree Mikey. I think Foster has been bothered by injury all year. I also agree with not playing him until he is healthy.

I'll tell you what I think is ridiculous. Is a player of Arians ability that is a no show when he's needed (Gators), not just the Marshall game where I might have benched him to avoid a injury where a far lesser team was played and to risk him to injury isnt worth it. Mark my words , we''ll end up squeaking by Memphis because their HC is an old school DC and he's tough as nails. We'll get the win on raw athletic ability.....then we face Georgia, where Arian will come out amazingly healed because he and his intrests know that a good performance against Georgia will get him noticed. Typical springboard tactic of an NFL minded kid that uses a div1a school to further his intrests. Whats ridiculous to me is people buying in to this kid, he has done precious little to further the Vols intrest but sits and waits for his opportunity to shine. When its said and done he''ll get drafted 3rd round and he'll not do to well because he has no heart. He has some athletic ability and a wheelbarrow load of selfish smack.

If I'm allowed to still disagree with you . . . I find that entire post completely unfair.

I don't think you should lose your starting position if you get hurt and then come back. I would start him if he is healthy and let him get some PT before the Georgia game. Coker would be next and also play Hardesty. I actually hope Yancey gets to play because of the score. UTC's Buckley got over 100 yards against Memphis when they played them so why can't any of our guys do the same. I would hope our line had more talent than UTC even if they are much better this year. IMO.

If I'm allowed to still disagree with you . . . I find that entire post completely unfair.

Foster held this offense together last year playing hurt. I give Dan's post a 15 yard penalty for a personal foul. The yardage is tacked on to the end of the play.

For once we agree Mikey. I think Foster has been bothered by injury all year. I also agree with not playing him until he is healthy.
I still believe, as a pure runner, Coker is the best, though. I also believe, in time, he will become the best all-around back.

I still believe, as a pure runner, Coker is the best, though. I also believe, in time, he will become the best all-around back.

At the very least right now he is the fastest of the three.

At the very least right now he is the fastest of the three.
For sure. He burned the safeties on the trick play against Florida, and on his long run this week, he did the same. Two guys had angles on him, but they didn't have a chance. :)

This is just like any other position, you go with the player who is playing the best, the player with the hot hand. That has to be Coker.

I think UT has a tendency to stick with something that isnt working. When Hardesty struggled with Florida, obviously in hindsight Coker should have been given a few carries.

I just have to say...after a year and a half of saying "Just wait until he breaks one and runs away from everybody on the field" it's nice to see it finally happening. Coker's one of the fastest guys in the SEC (hell, he'd be one of the fastest guys in the NFL if he was there)...not just in the UT backfield.

I think you're WAY off on this one Dan.

First of all, he was a no show against the Gators and Marshall because of his ankle injury. I'm pretty sure he came in the UF game and tried to cut, but his ankle was clearly still bothering him.

If Arian comes out "amazingly" healed for the UGA game, it's not because he's trying to get noticed. It's because the coaches made the right call and gave him some time to heal before we get into our SEC schedule.

I'm not sure where all this NFL minded talk is coming from either. I've read a lot of Foster's quotes and I don't ever recall him even mentioning the NFL. Of course, every player has dreams and aspirations of playing in the league one day and there's nothing wrong with that.

As for Arian not having heart, you're talking about a kid who had an injured knee and shoulders last year and still managed to be the only bright spot on our offense. One game he carried the ball 40 times. I'd suspect he never would have missed a game this season with his ankle if we didn't have some depth at RB this year.

You are correct OWB. He had one carry in the UF game, but just too much pain. I think it was a bad idea for him to try in the first place... but anyway.

VN Store

Back