Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Episode IX)

Ok...after a few weeks of pondering and reading the critiques (good and bad), I officially have come to the conclusion that I love the return of the Emporer. Realistically, who else could have been the main bad guy? Someone new with no real back story but some 5 minute flashback/explanation? F that. Episode 1 started with him and 9 ended with him. It's the way it should be. This is the end of a saga. Endings should not introduce new baddies we have no emotional tie to. It should complete a story. Palpatine does just that. Anyone else would have felt forced. No pun intended.

Now delivery could be a touch better, but I fully support him returning.

Reactions: chatsworth_vol
Ok...after a few weeks of pondering and reading the critiques (good and bad), I officially have come to the conclusion that I love the return of the Emporer. Realistically, who else could have been the main bad guy? Someone new with no real back story but some 5 minute flashback/explanation? F that. Episode 1 started with him and 9 ended with him. It's the way it should be. This is the end of a saga. Endings should not introduce new baddies we have no emotional tie to. It should complete a story. Palpatine does just that. Anyone else would have felt forced. No pun intended.

Main problem was zero build up in the previous 2 films. Then this one just starts with him back and no explanation.

Reactions: Power T-Rev
Main problem was zero build up in the previous 2 films. Then this one just starts with him back and no explanation.
And TBH, I'm fine with that. Kind of a twist. Some predicted it, but there were thousands of predictions out there so nobody really knew for sure. But I do acknowledge the delivery limitations

Rise was as good as it could be with the first two crap fest it followed.

Awakens had no original ideas and was a total rehash of new hope and last wanted to be something other than Star Wars.

Trilogy was a total waste of time and has seriously hurt the Star Wars franchise long term.

Now watching the originals you realize they achieved absolutely nothing. The emperor didn’t really die. The empire didn’t fall. It just changed names. Han and Leia don’t live happily ever after. Anakin must not have been some chosen one cause he truly stopped nothing. Luke turned into a bitter old man.

Rise was as good as it could be with the first two crap fest it followed.

Awakens had no original ideas and was a total rehash of new hope and last wanted to be something other than Star Wars.

Trilogy was a total waste of time and has seriously hurt the Star Wars franchise long term.

Now watching the originals you realize they achieved absolutely nothing. The emperor didn’t really die. The empire didn’t fall. It just changed names. Han and Leia don’t live happily ever after. Anakin must not have been some chosen one cause he truly stopped nothing. Luke turned into a bitter old man.

While I agree this trilogy was a wasted opportunity I don’t think it did long term damage to SW. Just look at how popular the Mandalorian is. Plenty of life in the franchise when it’s executed better.

While I agree this trilogy was a wasted opportunity I don’t think it did long term damage to SW. Just look at how popular the Mandalorian is. Plenty of life in the franchise when it’s executed better.

You hsve a point and I hope it’s true.

Well he got dropped off a reactor shaft and blew up...his back was killing him!

Listened to a podcast that broke down the alleged leaked draft before Colin Trevorrow left. It featured Leia more prominently because it was written before Carrie Fisher passed. But aspects of it seemed much better. Such as Luke haunting Kylo through most of the movie. Rey had her own saber from the start instead of the silly retcon of fixing the Luke/Anakin saber. There is no Palpatine directly but Kylo is on a quest to find the oldest Sith Lord, sort of an antiYoda.

Regarding the Luke/Anakin Saber... why was so much emphasis put on that Saber. It wasn’t even Anakin’s first one nor Luke’s last one.

There is no Palpatine directly but Kylo is on a quest to find the oldest Sith Lord, sort of an antiYoda.

And that is kind of why I have the opinion that I do. Would they have had us emotionally invested enough in this ancient Sith for us to give a crap? I kind of doubt it. I know Palpatine returning comes with a certain bit of cheese, but anyone else also would have been hollow and unsatisfying. Again...JMO

And that is kind of why I have the opinion that I do. Would they have had us emotionally invested enough in this ancient Sith for us to give a crap? I kind of doubt it. I know Palpatine returning comes with a certain bit of cheese, but anyone else also would have been hollow and unsatisfying. Again...JMO

The anchor of the story was going to be about Kylo and less about the Sith Lord. Palpatine’s legacy was going to play a role but he wasn’t going to appear.

I get your point of view and I don’t entirely disagree... I wish they would have had Luke haunting Kylo though. That could have been awesome. Much better than his force ghost catching the light saber to placate the whiney faction of fans that didn’t like him tossing it over his shoulder.

Reactions: VOLNPA
Saw it today. I paid 5.49 and am glad I paid no more. Man, that was all over the place.

We’re supposed to believe that all this time the emperor has been alive,
on life support and building a massive army?? So, the emperor can recruit thousands for an army and build thousands of star destroyers and no one figures it out.

Too desperate to put a bow on things. It really suffered because you can tell each script was written separately and had to figure out how to integrate the previous story lines. There were elements I liked and thought had potential, but it was as just too big of a mess.

Because there should be another it ranks lower than?

Honestly I’m not sure if it’s THAT much better than any of the prequels. But I have a hard time believing the critics think it’s worse than TPM or AotC.

Most of the problems stem from the previous 2 films doing squat to set up this ending. They billed this movie as the end of the Skywalker Saga but they didn’t launch the new trilogy as such.

TFA was more about setting up a new cast of characters for a new generation of fans with Han, Luke, and Leia being a bridge for older fans rather than the center piece. And it relied heavily on nostalgia of the OT, particularly hitting the same story bears as ANH.

TLJ basically ended the Skywalker story and pointed the franchise in a new direction.

ROS felt like an ad hoc attempt to define what the trilogy was about.

Honestly I’m not sure if it’s THAT much better than any of the prequels. But I have a hard time believing the critics think it’s worse than TPM or AotC.

Most of the problems stem from the previous 2 films doing squat to set up this ending. They billed this movie as the end of the Skywalker Saga but they didn’t launch the new trilogy as such.

TFA was more about setting up a new cast of characters for a new generation of fans with Han, Luke, and Leia being a bridge for older fans rather than the center piece. And it relied heavily on nostalgia of the OT, particularly hitting the same story bears as ANH.

TLJ basically ended the Skywalker story and pointed the franchise in a new direction.

ROS felt like an ad hoc attempt to define what the trilogy was about.

You may have misunderstood me. I thought it bad. I was angry that I spent money and lost that much time out of my life going to see it. I did not see the previous one because the one before that was such a bad movie. At least they will go down in history as the highest grossing bad films of all time.

You may have misunderstood me. I thought it bad. I was angry that I spent money and lost that much time out of my life going to see it. I did not see the previous one because the one before that was such a bad movie. At least they will go down in history as the highest grossing bad films of all time.

Wait... you thought TFA was so bad you skipped TLJ but came back for this one?

VN Store

Back