Stanford's Trent Johnson to take LSU Job

You fire a guy who was in the Final Four two years ago and end up hiring Trent Johnson? Not exactly a big upgrade.

Yeah, his performance in the tourney was far from spectacular.

You fire a guy who was in the Final Four two years ago and end up hiring Trent Johnson? Not exactly a big upgrade.

There are a list of coaches who have been to the Final Four I would take Johnson over:

John Brady
Mike Davis
Bruce Weber

just to name a few.

There are a list of coaches who have been to the Final Four I would take Johnson over:

John Brady
Mike Davis
Bruce Weber

just to name a few.
None of whom he's a big upgrade over. Actually, outside of a couple of guys who are totally overmatched, I'm not sure who in a major conference he would be an substantial upgrade over.

None of whom he's a big upgrade over. Actually, outside of a couple of guys who are totally overmatched, I'm not sure who in a major conference he would be an substantial upgrade over.

Yeah. I know, but I'm just saying there is a list of FF coaches I'd take him over. I would say he's quite an upgrade over Brady. He's capable enough that if he the talent in Louisiana he will have a consistent NCAA team and a serious contender very few years -- something Brady couldn't do.

a telling thing is the stanford AD didn't renew his contract during the season and reportably was dragging his feet after the season.

I think he'll recruit real well. Not the best hire though.

They won't make the tourney next year imo.

hard to tell if he is a great recruiter. stanford recruits a certain type of kid just by itself and obvious the lopez twins went as a pair. montgomery many times said that basically if a kid can get into stanford they would get him. beyond those two he hasn't brought in elite talent. but obviously the admission standards at stanford are much higher than they are at LSU.

And LSU recruiting grounds are awesome. Nobody is in LA to compete with. Other SEC schools might steal them but LSU will have good pickings. Stanford has to compete with 20 other California schools for players.

stanford recruits nationally because of it's education, but i agree with you. much larger recruiting base. but i assume the old coach had that too right?

VN Store

Back