Staff is altering Hookers mechanics

Just please don't screw him up.

This is the issue, right? This late in the game you change throwing motion? Does it get in his head?

I guess it depends on how big a change we are talking about and does it affect his confidence. I don't know, but generally not a fan of it unless the QB is really able to absorb it. Time will tell.

Dieticians telling me what and what not to eat?!
Side story - was seeing a dietician about 10 or 12 years ago. Saw her maybe 3 or 4 months on a regular basis, called in one day to move an appointment and was told she was no longer 'with us'. Found out later that day she died of a heart attack !!!

Not to be too morbid with the gallows humor, but I still find that to be one of the most ironic things I've ever had happen in life !!!

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
Geez! Mechanics are tweaked all the time. Footwork, arm slot, release, drops, blah blah blah.

I'd say a good mechanics coach for a qb or a pitcher is the single most important tool for a throwing motion. If you're not working to get better, you're not.

This is the issue, right? This late in the game you change throwing motion? Does it get in his head?

I guess it depends on how big a change we are talking about and does it affect his confidence. I don't know, but generally not a fan of it unless the QB is really able to absorb it. Time will tell.
They tinkered with Tebow’s before his senior season. And Hooker’s had ONE season that he’s emerged and was learning a new system on the go. If he didn’t lose his confidence after losing out to Milton, I doubt he’s fragile over adjusting his elbow angle.

Side story - was seeing a dietician about 10 or 12 years ago. Saw her maybe 3 or 4 months on a regular basis, called in one day to move an appointment and was told she was no longer 'with us'. Found out later that day she died of a heart attack !!!

Not to be too morbid with the gallows humor, but I still find that to be one of the most ironic things I've ever had happen in life !!!
Do as I say - not as I do. In all things!

Reactions: IndianaVol
They tinkered with Tebow’s before his senior season. And Hooker’s had ONE season that he’s emerged and was learning a new system on the go. If he didn’t lose his confidence after losing out to Milton, I doubt he’s fragile over adjusting his elbow angle.

Probably correct.

Ultimatelt, I trust this coaching staff. Possibly, this is why Hooker stuck around for another year.

Gotta say that this is some unsettling news. If it ain't broke....as the saying goes. I look at it much like a golf swing. Some swings are far from "textbook", but for that player, it works. Hope they don't mess up our offensive trigger man with this.
I'll bet Tebow wished someone would have corrected his mechanics earlier in his career.

I play better golf when I am more "textbook" in my swing. Keep in mind there are a lot of "textbooks" (Ledbetter, Haney, Harmon, Gankus, Foley, etc.). The best just fine tune what a really good golfer already has. I think Gankus is representative of that type of coach, judging by what he did with Matt Wolff. BTW, I had my 6th ace yesterday with my "textbook" swing!

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
I do have trust in Heupel as a coach, but the history of QB's that have successfully altered their mechanics at this point in their career is not good.
By "at this point", you mean a player in his sixth season following up the one season of real success in said 6 seasons? He surprised many of us last season, but even his biggest day one advocates knew there were areas that need improvement. If he had been a day one starter spanning 4 seasons, no one messes with anything. But there were winnable games that maybe that one missed throw was costly. Clean it up and up the odds imo.

Reactions: Behr
I fully believe the coaches know what they're doing ...especially Josh Heupel , but kids don't always translate new movements that feel alien to them . Anyway , I understand the reasoning though. If you see something that isn't efficient use of motion , I guess you have to try to correct it .

I didnt read the article once someone mentioned it was AtoZ...however, based on what ive read its simply a click bait title.

If CJH was changing his throwing motion mechanics not only would i be surprised i would also question if it were wise. If it understand correctly he is slightly changing where HH brings the ball to prior to beginning his motion. IMO that isnt changing his mechanics. It is a good title though to get people talking about an inane article

If CJH and our QB coach are doing anything at all then it's probably minor considering how well HH did last season.

It's also probably to help HH get drafted higher in the NFL Draft which will also help on our QB recruiting as well as WR's and TE's..

I don't see anything to worry about or to get stressed over.

I'm thankful that we have a great QB coach and a HC that Won the National Championship as a QB and is headed to the CFB Hall of Fame.

I just want HH to keep throwing those TD's!

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Heupel told Rexrode that they tweaked Hooker’s throwing motion “to be more consistent and accurate with the football, tightened it up in terms of where the ball is starting”.

Sounds like they are wanting a little better ball security. He did fumble 10 times last season. Not sure what the splits are comparing fumbles within the pocket vs rushing but that’s what I am taking from it.

Reactions: butchna
Staff is altering Hooker's mechanics

Her technique clearly needs some work.
proxy-image

VN Store

Back