Stackhouse to Vandy

The new Vandy AD is kinda sucking left and right.

Hopefully, he will run off D Mason so we can get back to another 50 years of domination.

I just threw up thinking this horrible post could actually make sense. What has the world come to?

Vandy's AD came from the G league gig didn't he? Makes sense

Odd if true for a couple of reasons. He supposedly wants an NBA head coaching job so why go to Vandy. He doesn’t have much experience as a head coach so I’m surprised Vandy would go this route.
Hope he gets it because he will leave there as soon as the NBA job opens faster than a fart in a tornado. Word is the Grizz may want him there as well!

Twitter quickly picked up on a couple interesting angles to this story.

Vandy's brand new AD was the commissioner of the G League before taking this job. Stackhouse was G League coach of the year last year, and that's his only head coaching experience. Vandy also hired a search firm to help in this search, the same search firm that recommended they hire the new AD, and they advise him to hire his buddy Stackhouse.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
Just hire Stallings back and call it a day.

The problem is, I don't think Stallings has ever met anyone who then later wants to meet him again.

About this hire, it reeks of Bammer's hiring of Avery Johnson a few years ago. I would expect it to end the same. The NBA, G league, and AAU do not prepare you for jumping to head coach of a D1 program. They have aspects that are attractive, but as a head coach the track record is probably not overly optimistic here.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
The problem is, I don't think Stallings has ever met anyone who then later wants to meet him again.

About this hire, it reeks of Bammer's hiring of Avery Johnson a few years ago. I would expect it to end the same. The NBA, G league, and AAU do not prepare you for jumping to head coach of a D1 program. They have aspects that are attractive, but as a head coach the track record is probably not overly optimistic here.

Nobody wants to work for Vandy or Kevin Stallings. It is the perfect marriage.

Nobody wants to work for Vandy or Kevin Stallings. It is the perfect marriage.

You have a point.

About the G-League, AAU, etc stuff. I think over time we've learned that coaching major college basketball consists of 1/3 actual coaching and 1/3 recruiting. Schools get enamored with a candidate b/c he's good at one or both of those. But it's the other third that matters the most.

The only thing that prepares you for that part is actually having been a part of a successful major college basketball program at a school of relevant size and stature. You need to have learned program leadership from a great leader.

There's so much more to it than just coaching and recruiting. It's an enterprise, an organization that has to be built and led successfully. Find a leader of men who also knows the sport, give him a staff that can break down the Xs & Os and influence practice, and connect him to all of the recruiting resources that he needs.

About the G-League, AAU, etc stuff. I think over time we've learned that coaching major college basketball consists of 1/3 actual coaching and 1/3 recruiting. Schools get enamored with a candidate b/c he's good at one or both of those. But it's the other third that matters the most.
That goes for college coaching, period. All sports.

The vast, vast majority of college coaches, even the really good college coaches, are primarily recruiters and motivators. Many of these guys would be selling used cars or teaching high school PE if they couldn't coach a sport at this level. About the best most coaches can do is be a great recruiter/motivator, then hire a good staff to handle details. That's exactly what Dabo has done at Clemson, Roy Williams has done at UNC (by his own admission), etc.

A coach that is superior in recruiting, staff management, and technical detail is exceedingly rare, and the ones that do exist (Saban) go down as the greatest ever in their sport.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
You have a point.

The only thing that prepares you for that part is actually having been a part of a successful major college basketball program at a school of relevant size and stature. You need to have learned program leadership from a great leader.

There's so much more to it than just coaching and recruiting. It's an enterprise, an organization that has to be built and led successfully. Find a leader of men who also knows the sport, give him a staff that can break down the Xs & Os and influence practice, and connect him to all of the recruiting resources that he needs.

I can agree with that. During these days, it is all about marketing and media exposure and it is biting some schools.

I could be wrong, but that doesn’t really seem like a great fit .

Last edited:
Yes, they are still Vanderbilt, but they don’t exactly have a overall terrible history in basketball (save this past season which was atrocious) and his name should help them recruit tremendously on recognition alone. Additionally, it may have just gotten much harder For us to recruit the Memphis area with Penny “Balled Fist” Hardaway already there and Stack having been with the Grizzlies. I certainly did not see Vanderbilt pulling a name like his out of the hat. Interesting, only time will tell.

Reactions: RollerVol
Yes, they are still Vanderbilt, but they don’t exactly have a overall terrible history in basketball (save this past season which was atrocious) and his name should help them recruit tremendously on recognition alone. Additionally, it may have just gotten much harder For us to recruit the Memphis area with Penny “Balled Fist” Hardaway already there and Stack having been with the Grizzlies. I certainly did not see Vanderbilt pulling a name like his out of the hat. Interesting, only time will tell.
He wont be able to bring Vanderbilt out of the SEC basement

Reactions: Special Ed
Vanderbilt went 0-19 with a possible top 5 lottery pick. It was an impressively bad feat. Who knows where Stackhouse takes them but the Dean Smith/Carolina tree overall isn't great outside 2 or 3 guys.

Lots of schools seem to be hiring younger coaches with NBA credentials to lead their programs. The thinking seems to be they should be able to recruit, maybe they can coach. Stackhouse had some success in the NBA developmental league but he is still a big question mark in his ability to coach within the confines of college basketball rules imo. I do think it makes it harder for UT to pull talent out of Nashville and Penny will have the best talent in Memphis for at least a couple of years until he either sinks or swims. If you look at the guys UT has pulled in for 2019 and is in on 2020, we seem to be casting a wide net and less focus on in state.

Strange hire if you ask me. These coaches being hired with little to no college coaching experience is a crap shoot IMO. Won't be surprised if he's gone in 3 years.

Reactions: sbm362
This is not an upgrade over Bryce Drew IMO. In fact I thought Vanderbilt was a little premature with this firing, even with Vandy going 0-19 in the SEC. I would say they may regret this move, but I guess they couldn't have a worse record in conference at least.

VN Store

Back