St. Frances Academy story

LittleVol

Of course I can help you, Coach Heupel.
Below is a snippet from an article talking about how this Academy came to be. Its from 2019. It's truly a fascinating convergence of ideas and resources. Resources meaning money combined with inner-city and out-of-state transfer talent.
Last season I spoke with a St Frances parent at the Mater Dei game. And from the support They get now, expect their dominance to continue.

"Only three years ago, the St. Frances Panthers were a laughingstock. They were from a tiny, under-resourced black Catholic high school in a bleak pocket of Baltimore. There was little money for coaches or uniforms or travel. Their MIAA rivals regularly beat them by double digits. In 2010, they lost every game. In 2015, they won only two.

That all changed with the arrival of Poggi, who had led the tony Gilman School — his alma mater and one of the MIAA’s richest schools — to 13 league championships in 19 years. In addition to being a successful coach, Poggi is a wealthy businessman, and when he came to St. Frances, he brought his money with him — so far pouring $2.5 million into the football team and the school. In just three years, he has helped build a juggernaut of a program, with players receiving football scholarship offers from the likes of Clemson, Alabama and Oklahoma.

Along the way, his methods have alienated the rest of the league, raising questions of fairness and safety. To Poggi and his supporters, he’s giving poor kids of color a chance at a good education and a college scholarship. To his critics, he’s cheating the system in an ego-driven obsession to win. “People unfortunately in Baltimore think that success is a zero-sum game,” Poggi told me. “And if you have it, they must not be getting it. You must be taking it from them. And that’s not what it is at all.”

This is how you create a true super program. St Frances is a mixture of those cats from the hood that might not have been able to play before, and you throw them in with great local talent from other cities in Maryland, AND then you bring in 4 to 5 super talented out-of-state kids to give the team a perspective of true competition! And they all feed off of each other. This is why they pasted IMG last year.

And Pruitt recognizes this, and he's damn genius for prioritizing this school.

Those of you who played high school ball in TN know what I'm talking about. Depending on where you lived sometimes the most athletic dudes in the whole area didn't have the best mindset or structure and never even played sports because of it.

Plenty of guys like that in Oak Ridge, Chattanooga, MEMPHIS. Could you imagine if someone had this type of vision and collateral at a program in the Bluff City??

Baltimore is no different. So many disadvantages kids there. They take up selling drugs.
Independence High School in Charlotte, NC did something similar 20 years ago. They recruited across the city and pulled all of the most talented kids from the "hood" (West Charlotte) and coached them up with other kids who were already local prospects.

The thing is though these are basically just prep schools, they shouldn’t be classified as high schools anymore. Most of these poor kids from bad neighborhoods still go to school and most of those schools have football teams so these kids could still play. This just kills those school teams because their best players are leaving.

Reactions: kcvols1
The thing is though these are basically just prep schools, they shouldn’t be classified as high schools anymore. Most of these poor kids from bad neighborhoods still go to school and most of those schools have football teams so these kids could still play. This just kills those school teams because their best players are leaving.

You’re right. Many years ago the small town high school I attended made the playoffs after almost always sucking. First round they had to play against a Nashville private school that my children attended years later. Got killed. The private school had a million dollar fieldhouse and weight room. Not fair to the public schools. This particular private school plays in 3AA even though it is a 2AA school and supposedly doesn’t give schollys but we all know how that works.

Reactions: savannahfan

NO...
This is NOT a prep school. Read up on it.
The difference between St Frances and an IMG is that St Frances is founded in that community. It's an old school where is IMG was made out of scratch just for athletes.
Not even close to being the same situation.
The majority of these kids are from Baltimore area. They're just getting...special coaching and treatment now. THAT aspect isn't fair. I'll grant that.

Reactions: Remy
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! ffs

I'd personally love to see it. Imagine how the In-State perception on talent would be then.

And if they can do this in Baltimore, then they can build a prep powerhouse in Memphis too. Imagine a team with the best players in Memphis THAT HAVE PLAYED together sprinkled in with kids from St. Louis, Houston, New Orleans?

Those of you who played high school ball in TN know what I'm talking about. Depending on where you lived sometimes the most athletic dudes in the whole area didn't have the best mindset or structure and never even played sports because of it.

Plenty of guys like that in Oak Ridge, Chattanooga, MEMPHIS. Could you imagine if someone had this type of vision and collateral at a program in the Bluff City??

Baltimore is no different. So many disadvantages kids there. They take up selling drugs.
Independence High School in Charlotte, NC did something similar 20 years ago. They recruited across the city and pulled all of the most talented kids from the "hood" (West Charlotte) and coached them up with other kids who were already local prospects.
Yeah there is one in the bluff city and its called Whitehaven high school. The only difference is the community support covers financing and its a public high school. They have sent alot of guys D1 just over the last couple years. I mean we did get 3 guys from there in the 2020 class and another one in the previous class.

High school coaching in the state of Tennessee was atrocious for decades. I know everybody thinks their hs scool coach was one of the greatest and I won't argue with you if you sincerely believe that. Most were very good men but mediocre at best when it came to actual coaching. Up until one guy came along and changed the way it worked in the state did we see programs improving their coaching to keep up with him. Most large schools did well year in and year out due to their numbers. Private schools did well because they cherry picked, you can go back fifty years and see where Father Ryan and MBA were powerhouses for example. However not until Carlton Flatt put the entire thing together at Brentwood Academy did we see coaching begin to improve across the state IMO. It was not uncommon when he started for his competitors to hand out 2 or 3 sheets of mimeographed play sheets for the entire offense for a season to be on them. Carlton worked hard to find the best players, brought in great staff, and coached his disciplined teams to play at levels not seen before in high school. His WRs were running routes and most defenses had no clue what to call them or what they were, lot's of "What was that?" was heard in opposing stands for years. Lots of complex for high school then OL play, defensive play was always outstanding, QBs throwing on time and rhythm to a spot where no one was to suddenly a WR was under the ball to catch it. Flatt was running college level offenses and defenses routinely at the high school level before most others were. Hence he was putting a lot of kids into SEC schools routinely as well. hat made people take notice. I don't know Coach Flatt, hated him as a competitor to schools I supported back in the day. That said looking back on it, he moved the needle a long way on the level of coaching in the entire state and what it takes to win as coach as well. I'd like to thank him for that.

Let's start a Go-Fund_me page to get this started. I will graciously offer to be "Head-Master" and take a sizeable salary with a 10 year contract (and a golden parachute). You can thank me later when we are winning championships. I don't know much about running a school but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. I can't be any worse than some of the "Bozo's" (Hart, Hamilton, Currie) UT has hired in the past.

Yeah there is one in the bluff city and its called Whitehaven high school. The only difference is the community support covers financing and its a public high school. They have sent alot of guys D1 just over the last couple years. I mean we did get 3 guys from there in the 2020 class and another one in the previous class.

No. Not the same animal. I'm well aware of The Haven and what they're doing there.

High school coaching in the state of Tennessee was atrocious for decades. I know everybody thinks their hs scool coach was one of the greatest and I won't argue with you if you sincerely believe that. Most were very good men but mediocre at best when it came to actual coaching. Up until one guy came along and changed the way it worked in the state did we see programs improving their coaching to keep up with him. Most large schools did well year in and year out due to their numbers. Private schools did well because they cherry picked, you can go back fifty years and see where Father Ryan and MBA were powerhouses for example. However not until Carlton Flatt put the entire thing together at Brentwood Academy did we see coaching begin to improve across the state IMO. It was not uncommon when he started for his competitors to hand out 2 or 3 sheets of mimeographed play sheets for the entire offense for a season to be on them. Carlton worked hard to find the best players, brought in great staff, and coached his disciplined teams to play at levels not seen before in high school. His WRs were running routes and most defenses had no clue what to call them or what they were, lot's of "What was that?" was heard in opposing stands for years. Lots of complex for high school then OL play, defensive play was always outstanding, QBs throwing on time and rhythm to a spot where no one was to suddenly a WR was under the ball to catch it. Flatt was running college level offenses and defenses routinely at the high school level before most others were. Hence he was putting a lot of kids into SEC schools routinely as well. hat made people take notice. I don't know Coach Flatt, hated him as a competitor to schools I supported back in the day. That said looking back on it, he moved the needle a long way on the level of coaching in the entire state and what it takes to win as coach as well. I'd like to thank him for that.
Best HS game I ever saw was when BA rolled into Haywood in 1995. The Tomcats dominated BA that night.

Best HS game I ever saw was when BA rolled into Haywood in 1995. The Tomcats dominated BA that night.

I was thinking along the lines you are. If you go way back BA and others of the Academy types had players from all over not just TN. Also talking about good coaching, it is hard to not think about the guy at Huntington along with the Milan coach many years ago. Not sure if they were local men or "foreigners". Either way, I would guess the man at BA you speak of had a lot to do with the advancement of the high school game in Tn. AND it didn't hurt for him to be in the shadow of the best media coverage in the state of TN. Along with the fact that that media had the largest Tenn. geo area for it's coverage of any media group in the state.

No. Not the same animal. I'm well aware of The Haven and what they're doing there.
I mean they not exactly on a level playing field so u are right. Whitehaven already dominates this state so if u were to give them that same budget and allow them to recruit nationally, they would win even more then they already do. Consider what they have built with only state funds and a neighborhood behind them. Its not even an entire neighborhood bc Mitchell High is also in that neighborhood and Melrose is not far. This is all with private schools like MUS, CBHS, & Briarcrest in the city. I think they have 22 players currently on D1 rosters. 8 are in the SEC, 1 at Notre Dame, Ohio St, & Memphis. It may not be St. Francis level but thats pretty strong for a public high school in TN.

Reactions: LittleVol
I was thinking along the lines you are. If you go way back BA and others of the Academy types had players from all over not just TN. Also talking about good coaching, it is hard to not think about the guy at Huntington along with the Milan coach many years ago. Not sure if they were local men or "foreigners". Either way, I would guess the man at BA you speak of had a lot to do with the advancement of the high school game in Tn. AND it didn't hurt for him to be in the shadow of the best media coverage in the state of TN. Along with the fact that that media had the largest Tenn. geo area for it's coverage of any media group in the state.
Yep....Paul Ward was at Huntington for many years and John Tucker at Milan....I was on the staff under John Tucker. At one point he held the state record for wins but was later passed by Flatt at BA. I go way back in West Tn football....The days of Jim Poteete at Humboldt....Jack Cain at Covington and Humboldt.....Richard Ross at Jackson Central Merry....John Hooper at Brownsville....Jim Stowe at Lexington....Walter Kilzer at Trenton. All were fine football coaches.

Yep....Paul Ward was at Huntington for many years and John Tucker at Milan....I was on the staff under John Tucker. At one point he held the state record for wins but was later passed by Flatt at BA. I go way back in West Tn football....The days of Jim Poteete at Humboldt....Jack Cain at Covington and Humboldt.....Richard Ross at Jackson Central Merry....John Hooper at Brownsville....Jim Stowe at Lexington....Walter Kilzer at Trenton. All were fine football coaches.
Haaaaaaa a home body!!! There are still a few of us around!! Say do you agree with me when I speak about "exposure" of our rural west Tn areas as referring to players and their ability?

I mean they not exactly on a level playing field so u are right. Whitehaven already dominates this state so if u were to give them that same budget and allow them to recruit nationally, they would win even more then they already do. Consider what they have built with only state funds and a neighborhood behind them. Its not even an entire neighborhood bc Mitchell High is also in that neighborhood and Melrose is not far. This is all with private schools like MUS, CBHS, & Briarcrest in the city. I think they have 22 players currently on D1 rosters. 8 are in the SEC, 1 at Notre Dame, Ohio St, & Memphis. It may not be St. Francis level but thats pretty strong for a public high school in TN.

Whitehaven is the new Melrose of the 90’s.

Whitehaven is the new Melrose of the 90’s.
Well everyone in the city knew Melrose was recruiting with the exception of Cedrick Wilson who was really from Orange Mound. They fell off as soon as Coach Thompson got busted. The last time they were really strong was like 05-06 when they had Craig Cooper. I played that team at Melrose and they were absolutely stacked. Trezevant is another one who always did it. Whitehaven has always been pretty good at just about all their sports. I graduated in 06 and they were considered a powerhouse then.

Walter Kilzer......My Jr High Coach at Old Hickory Academy

Not just private schools, but now some public ones, too. BA, MBA and Ensworth are always pretty good. But Ravenwood has emerged. Brentwood looked like a really good team, too, when I saw them this year. They have a Vol commit on the team.

Last edited:
Well everyone in the city knew Melrose was recruiting with the exception of Cedrick Wilson who was really from Orange Mound. They fell off as soon as Coach Thompson got busted. The last time they were really strong was like 05-06 when they had Craig Cooper. I played that team at Melrose and they were absolutely stacked. Trezevant is another one who always did it. Whitehaven has always been pretty good at just about all their sports. I graduated in 06 and they were considered a powerhouse then.

Yeah, Whitehaven has been consistently solid since around 2000.

I graduated in 93 and they weren’t as relevant then, but always had a few big time players. Curtis Alexander being one of them.

VN Store

Back