Squad.

Sgt_Nick_Fury

Danneskjöld's love child.
Who got tired of Crappy ballistics and Run And Gun in the big titles, and now Plays Squad instead???

Squad > everything else.....

Also best game for celebrating Nov 10th.

Last edited:
If they could offer really good controller support I would be all over it. I am awful with M&K and so old that I am not capable of learning that lol.

The mouse and keyboard is a more elegant weapon from a civilized age. In any case you try to play one of the more realistic games without M&K you will die quick. You are often engaging at 200-300 yards, your not going to hit anything with a controller.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paper_Towel
Just saw that on steam. I might check it out.
Well one disclaimer. When it's free like this you can get some crappy squad experiences. Lots of new people usually means more disorganization. Also some veterans are cool and help new players, but I've also seen some act kinda toxic. When your starting out the biggest thing is having a patient Squad Leader. Some servers are better then others. I recommend Squadops server over all. Also REALLY this can not be said enough to not get on a server until you have completed tutorial. The tutorial is actually good, and even a little funny, and if you don't do it you will have no idea what to do and frustrate your squadmates. Another good server is Karmakut's modded stuff, but I'd hold off on that until you know basic original game. If you want to learn vehicles do it on test range servers. It's not a bad idea to try the test range to familiarize yourself with weapons ranging etc. However if you end up on any server where people are being toxic just switch servers you will figure out which places are better..... I will try and find a couple of good links that help as well. There's one for LAT and HAT that everyone who plays should probably watch. If you learn those systems well you will be a hero to your squad quickly.

This video is pure gold. Ranging whether as a hat or lat or even for your small arms is huge. After awhile you'll get where you can eyeball distances somewhat. But your going to see lots of different reticles for different systems, and this is a great video for learning them.

Some basic Advice I'd give to new players .

1.) Do the tutorial and spend some time on the range.

2.) Make sure you have a microphone that works. Not having one can often get you kicked from squad.

3.) Starting out be willing to be unselfish and do the dirty jobs that matter.... Driving Logistics to make deliveries of supply and ammo, Medic to get your buddies up, a hired shovel to build whatever your SL wants built.

4.) When you get better be willing to be unselfish and do the dirty jobs that matter.... Driving Logistics to make deliveries of supply and ammo, Medic to get your buddies up, a hired shovel to build whatever your SL wants built. These never stop mattering to winning the game so they should be engrained.

5) When in doubt stay on your SL's 6. Follow him until it's creepy. Most SL's appreciate new players when they stay with them and honestly try to help them achieve objectives.

6) Unless you have spent a ridiculous time on range (in game) your probably better off not choosing the sniper kit, choosing that kit and ending a match with like 1-3 kills makes you kinda seem like an idiot who wasted a kit. If you MUST be a sniper, ask to be made an FTL (fire team leader) so that you can mark maps, and learn to mark the maps. The number one job of Marksman isn't killing the enemy. The number one job is scouting, giving SL and Squad intel, and providing covering fire. if your a sniper that camps some place far away from his unit you likely will be kicked. Stay on the move and relevant to what your SL is doing. There are many SL's that hate snipers and will kick them, the reason is your usually giving up a Lat or hat to have a sniper. Both of which are more useful to the squad. It's just not a good choice starting out.

7) If starting out you end up on a Squad with an SL blaming his squad whenever it goes wrong; Leave that squad. Find a better squad or even another server. GOOD SL's don't blame their squad or rage...I mean if you do something really stupid they may mock you, but an SL that throws a tantrum will ruin anyone's enjoyment of the game. I don't bother arguing with them, I just leave their squad.

8) If you want to try to be SL, let your Squad know you are new, ask them if that's okay. This is also better done on near empty servers or ones with 50 or less. Ask and listen to advice. Most people hate playing SL, and will gladly give you advice so they don't have to be SL. But you need to play a few matches first. Being SL is extremely nerve racking. You have to listen to local chat, squad chat, and command chat while also looking out for enemy. Being an SL is where the game earns it's reputation as a PTSD simulator. Making squad left speaker/earphone, and command right speaker/earphone can help trim the chaos.

9) If you create squads and then just immediately pass leadership to someone, just uninstall the game. This will get you a bad rep fast. I try and make a mental note when players do this, and avoid them, and even kick them from my squad in the future. This is a way to be hated. NEVER pass SL to someone unless you have asked them and they are good with it.

10) Two of the most underrated and important squad roles are medic and engineer. Learn to do these well and every SL will want you on their squad. Engineer is actually my favorite kit.

and last I'd just remind that this isn't CS, or Battlefield...running and gunning or other such behavior will leave you constantly dead and frustrated. Communication is everything learn the terms and phrases ASAP. if you were ever in military's or police this will be easier. There are ALOT of vet players, and LEO players in this game, most players are also older. So choose your words accordingly, and expect lots of dark humor, and creative adjectives. But using jargon and being BRIEF is really important. Also be specific. "enemy near me" is useless, "Contact 237" is concise and helpful. Don't clog the channel talking about that guy that scared you or how you almost died for 30 seconds, or the weather... Don't be that guy. Be humble and let everyone know you're new, and they usually will teach you.

What matters in Squad:
Teamwork > Communication > Logistics > personal ability

Your kill count is almost the least relevant skill to your squad...if that is all you care about go back to fortnite or some other game.

Oh and always return fire if able. The suppression system is really good and sometimes just suppressing the enemy is good enough for your squad who can then finish them.

This looks like something I would really like to try with a couple guys. I need to build a pc.

Had a pretty good experience with these guys.

Best Gaming PCs & Prebuilt Gaming PC for Gaming | CyberPowerPC

I have built 90% of my PC through the years, but I couldn't order parts add shipping together as cheaply as they were selling my PC. They also carried 90% of what I wanted. About the only thing I would change is case selection, and that's a minor thing. I just prefer cases more old school, and with drive bays. The Corsair Carbide Series 678C I chose though works well. Still no way I could have put together The Ryzen system and 3080 I got here as cheap.

Last edited:
Had a pretty good experience with these guys.

Best Gaming PCs & Prebuilt Gaming PC for Gaming | CyberPowerPC

I have built 90% of my PC through the years, but I couldn't order parts add shipping together as cheaply as they were selling my PC. They also carried 90% of what I wanted. About the only thing I would change is case selection, and that's a miner thing. I just prefer cases more old school, and with drive bays. The Corsair Carbide Series 678C I chose though works well. Still no way I could have put together The Ryzen system and 3080 I got here as cheap.
When I get home from work I’m going to look further into the link. I browsed quickly and it is definitely good bang for your buck. Thanks!

Reactions: Sgt_Nick_Fury
If Squad were a sport.

Guy Sportcasting a squad match with arial view. Pretty fun to watch actually.

VN Store

Back