Spring Practice #8

IMO Milton is a bust at QB at the collegiate level. That translates into no way he makes an NFL roster. If he wants to play on Sundays he needs to figure out and match his talents/size to a new position, request the change, and make it happen. Otherwise he needs to pick up a clip board and prepare to be a grad assistant and prep for coaching somewhere.

When CJH and staff's opinions push him down the depth chart I will too. Until then I will hope he is a late bloomer who was poorly coached before his arrival here and that he finds a way to maximize the physical skills he displayed to them to race to the top of the chart upon arrival. Might, might not. The nature of the beast. Jackson COULD pass him in a flash. Might, might not. He seems to display character and earn trust from all the other guys on the squad. If it is important enough to him to remain a VFL to continue the fight, good for him. If they all decide his best shot is to move on, good for him. If his one time is gone, it has to impact his decision. That room APPEARS to be getting stronger bigtime, but if we are really expanding the playbook, it might fit his skill set better and his roll expanded situationally. Might, might not.

When CJH and staff's opinions push him down the depth chart I will too. Until then I will hope he is a late bloomer who was poorly coached before his arrival here and that he finds a way to maximize the physical skills he displayed to them to race to the top of the chart upon arrival. Might, might not. The nature of the beast. Jackson COULD pass him in a flash. Might, might not. He seems to display character and earn trust from all the other guys on the squad. If it is important enough to him to remain a VFL to continue the fight, good for him. If they all decide his best shot is to move on, good for him. If his one time is gone, it has to impact his decision. That room APPEARS to be getting stronger bigtime, but if we are really expanding the playbook, it might fit his skill set better and his roll expanded situationally. Might, might not.

I have theory about why he struggles with throwing the deep ball. It is rooted in mechanics and is illustrated by the golf swing. In golf we are taught that the big muscles give us both power and control. Thus, you have to have a good set up and proper weight control and weight shift throughout the swing. Do this consistently and you can hit good drives and long irons. If you allow the small muscles to become involved you will hit hooks, slices anything else that is ugly.

I believe Milton uses his small muscles in deep throws. He is so strong he can stand flat footed and throw the ball 70 yards. But he can't control it because he doesn't go through the whole throwing motion. Tom Brady is slow but h has the best feet in football, same as Peyton. They go through the throwing motion on every throw. A very few people can get away with an abbreviated motion like Aaron Rogers throwing a short or intermediate ball flat footed and arm off angle, but on deep balls every good quarterback relies on a complete motion. Not Milton, he has a flat footed looping motion that looks effortless and beautifu because it is, but it is not accurate, and IMHO never will be until he learns to use a full motion.
About other positions, I don't believe he want to take hits so they are out. He will tolerate hits in the pocket, not so much otherwise. Too bad, he is a very gifted athlete who has never had proper coaching.

You won't see Milton rolling on a football field any time soon, he avoids contact like it's Covid-19. However his role on the team is a different subject altogether IMO.

You won't see Milton rolling on a football field any time soon, he avoids contact like it's Covid-19. However his role on the team is a different subject altogether IMO.

Just stop. He’s a Tennessee player. He made a mental error stepping out of bounds…he didn’t do it to avoid contact. That’s just ignorant.

He’s had a great attitude, is getting better, and will continue to do so. Why so many of our toxic fans enjoy bashing a kid who has done nothing but behave well and work hard is beyond me.

When/if he’s the starting QB next year and is successful, I hope you’ll all self identify again.

Just stop. He’s a Tennessee player. He made a mental error stepping out of bounds…he didn’t do it to avoid contact. That’s just ignorant.

He’s had a great attitude, is getting better, and will continue to do so. Why so many of our toxic fans enjoy bashing a kid who has done nothing but behave well and work hard is beyond me.

When/if he’s the starting QB next year and is successful, I hope you’ll all self identify again.
It wasn’t a simple mental error. It displayed a total lack of situational awareness. A QB has to know and decide before the ball is snapped that this is the last play of the game and any result other than that ball crossing the GOAL LINE is a loss. PERIOD

Reactions: Blackburn
It wasn’t a simple mental error. It displayed a total lack of situational awareness. A QB has to know and decide before the ball is snapped that this is the last play of the game and any result other than that ball crossing the GOAL LINE is a loss. PERIOD

That’s moving the target. Point is, he didn’t go out of bounds because he was trying to avoid a hit. He was trying to stop the clock, unaware that it had expired.

Yes, it was a mental error by a backup QB thrown into a tough situation after sitting the whole game…one that never would have happened had Tillman caught the GREAT throw Milton made earlier for a TD.

But it doesn’t mean he can’t develop into a good QB. Or that he deserves to be trashed incessantly by our toxic fans.

I see no reason to doubt that Milton will be much improved this year working with this staff. I hope he gets snaps in clean-up time early and I hope he gets to throw: even though clean up presupposes we have a big lead. I think that would be a primo situation for the team. I'd like to see Milton prepared to win games, as needed, and I think that is entirely plausible. It's time to bury the negavol schtick.

Reactions: 67Vol
Yes, it was a mental error by a backup QB thrown into a tough situation after sitting the whole game…one that never would have happened had Tillman caught the GREAT throw Milton made earlier for a TD.
Essential reading for negavols.

If Tillman, who we all love, had caught that ball, the entire Milton vibe on this board would be entirely different. With no difference in Milton's play.

Edit: Hoping Jackson rocks, too. Especially hoping our backs become absolute masters of pass protection!

Last edited:
I see no reason to doubt that Milton will be much improved this year working with this staff. I hope he gets snaps in clean-up time early and I hope he gets to throw: even though clean up presupposes we have a big lead. I think that would be a primo situation for the team. I'd like to see Milton prepared to win games, as needed, and I think that is entirely plausible. It's time to bury the negavol schtick.

There are many reason to doubt. The biggest being his on field play while here and at Michigan. Hopefully he's improved, but it's within reason to have doubts.

Here's the FACTS.

Last year Milton WON the starting QB spot because HCJH and his staff saw Milton doing all the things a QB must do better than all our other QB's, FACT.

That was proven on the PRACTICE field and while wearing a NO CONTACT jersey, FACT.

Milton had zero fear of getting hit hard or getting hurt so he could relax and play with his abilities that God gave him and that he's worked hard to get better at, FACT.

Milton has been hurt and he's seen lots of other guys get hurt even worse and the main thing holding him back is in his own head...FEAR, FACT.

He's simply scared to death of getting hurt and you CAN easily see it if you watch his every play in a real game.

If he sees that he's going to get tackled he'll crumble to the ground fast to try to avoid a big, hard hit, FACT.

Many great players get hurt and are never able to come back to their greatness again simply because of the FEAR in their heads of getting hurt again, FACT.

If, a BIG IF, Milton can ever get that horrid FEAR out of his head and can improve his passing more where he can play like he did last year during practice then we just might see Mllton turn into a really good, starting quality QB for us.

I hope he can do it because if Hooker goes down we just might need Milton really badly.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Well whatever position of need you feel he will fill and succeed at is cool with me coach
Excellent! Let’s begin and end with backup QB. Now be a good kid and fix me a turkey pot pie!

He’s injured and not playing this spring.
What is it about the LBs who we get through the portal seem to be injured as soon as they start practice at UT? Damages goods, or our practices are much more physical this those from where they came?

VN Store

Back