Spring Practice #13

Fingers

Cooper Mays, Christian Charles and Julian Nixon were back out there again today, though Charles sported a yellow non-contact jersey. Joining in the yellow jersey club was Charles Nimrod once again, and of course, Juwan Mitchell.

I did not see Justin Williams-Thomas out there today. He was in a yellow jersey on Monday and looked well when speaking to the media after practice. We did not see Jabari Small or Cedric Tillman once again and Dayne Davis was not dressed out.

Princeton Fant was seen with the running backs during the first part of individual period. This was right after stretches inside the Anderson Training Complex while the backs were going over mesh points with quarterbacks and then hitting the cones for outside zones.

Tyler Baron looks quick, smooth in drills.

Hendon Hooker and Joe Milton both looked good. Even Milton couldn’t overthrow Squirrel. Keyton and Hyatt both excelled today in the drill. Julian Nixon dropped one pass while Tayven Jackson looked good but missed on one deep ball to Jimmy Holiday.
cain

The Vols again were particularly thin in the secondary, with their group of cornerbacks again consisting mostly of walk-ons. Sophomore Christian Charles again wore a yellow, non-contact jersey during early position drills, while freshman wide receiver Chas Nimrod, linebacker Juwan Mitchell and walk-on cornerback Trel Riley also were in yellow.

Fifth-year senior wide receiver Cedric Tillman, junior running back Jabari Small and freshman running back Justin Williams-Thomas, who was in a yellow jersey on Monday, also weren’t on the field during the open portion of Wednesday’s practice, while redshirt junior offensive lineman Dayne Davis didn’t dress out.

Rising junior center Cooper Mays and redshirt freshman tight end Julian Nixon were in action again Wednesday morning. Mays sat out Saturday’s scrimmage at Haslam Field, while Nixon had started out in a non-contact jersey during Monday’s practice before putting on a regular jersey.

Fant gave the Vols a third scholarship player to take handoffs during zone-read mesh-point work, with Williams-Thomas’ absence further depleting a group of running backs that has already been practicing without Small. Sophomore Jaylen Wright, redshirt sophomore Len'Neth Whitehead and redshirt freshman walk-on Patrick Wilk were the only other running backs participating in the drills.

he early portion of Wednesday’s practice featured mostly routine position drills for Tennessee’s defense. The defensive linemen went through ladder drills after moving outdoors, where the Vols practiced in warmer conditions than what they have experienced for most of the spring. Tyler Baron, Byron Young and Roman Harrison again were the first players to go through those drills.

Tennessee’s linebackers worked on their usual run fits under the chute before switching to the one-man blocking sled. Rising senior Aaron Beasley, freshman Elijah Herring and Nebraska transfer Jackson Hannah were the first players in line with one group during the sled drill. Fifth-year seniors Jeremy Banks and Solon Page III led the other group, followed by redshirt junior Kwauze Garland.
callahan

Last edited:
I wonder if Milton has really legit improved a lot or not. I have the feeling that he is a practice star like JG was but under the lights he just can't get it into gear for some reason.

Me? I have faith in our coach to unlock the Milt man's potential, and we're going to see it exhibited this season.

I am Worried about the secondary myself. Especially at cornerback. Spring ball is important for that group IMO and with hear just walk on filling those roles worry’s me. If we don’t have at least a decent secondary group this year then it is going to be a Long , long year.

VN Store

Back