Spring Practice #12

Fingers

VIDEO

NOTES

Tennessee welcomed back several players today who have been banged up. Princeton Fant, Julian Nixon and Cooper Mays all returned and were dressed in full, going through drills. Nixon, who suffered a bit of a stinger at the tail end of last week, began practice sporting a noncontact yellow jersey – but quickly removed it after stretches to the normal white offensive jersey.

Christian Charles and Cam Miller were both back an in full pads. Justin Williams-Thomas was sporting a yellow jersey today as was Charles Nimrod. Still no sign of Jabari Small and Cedric Tillman. Dayne Davis was not practicing today, but was out of his walking boot. Instead, the offensive tackle was sporting a sleeve on his left leg.

Aaron Willis was not dressed out today. Doneiko Slaughter is still out.

I thought each quarterback performed pretty well with Hendon Hooker leading the way. The tight ends worked out of the slot.

Nico Iamaleava led the way for a small group of prospects who were at today’s practice. The five-star quarterback was accompanied by his father and little brother, Madden. Josh Heupel was seen talking to the bunch while the team was going through individual period.

Outside of Nico, who wrapped up a 7-on-7 tournament at Farragut over the weekend, was four-star running back Sam Singleton. He had two guests with him as well, 2023 TE Timothy Lawrence and 2023 OL Ethan Williams.

2023 three-star safety Zahbari Sandy was also on hand today.
e.cain

Defensive back Christian Charles was going through drills normally after not going through the scrimmage and tight end Princeton Fant was in a regular jersey after he's missed some time. Tight end Julian Nixon started out in a non-contact jersey before putting on a regular jersey, and freshman wide receiver Chas Nimrod and rookie running back Justin Williams-Thomas also were in yellow.

Offensive lineman Cooper Mays was back out there as well.

However, Tennessee still is without running back Jabari Small, wide receiver Cedric Tillman and offensive lineman Dayne Davis, and linebackers Jeremy Banks and Aaron Willis were new additions to the list of guys not practicing.

With Banks and Willis not out there, the linebacker tandems went Juwan Mitchell (still in non-contact jersey and not doing 11-on-11 work) and Solon Page III followed by Pakk Garland and Aaron Beasley, a couple rounds of walk-ons and then freshman Elijah Herring getting solo reps.

During blocking drills for the offensive line, the order/combinations went (left to right) Jeremiah Crawford, Jerome Carvin, Cooper Mays, Javontez Spraggins and Darnell Wright with the first group; Gerald Mincey, Ollie Lane, Parker Ball, Jackson Lampley and RJ Perry with the second group; and William Parker, James Robinson, Addison Nichols, Kingston Harris and Brian Grant with the third group.

Ramel Keyton had a good period, but freshman Kaleb Webb couldn't complete a catch on the sideline on a corner route and Marquarius White couldn't handle a high throw on a comeback. Jimmy Holiday continues to lead the line at one of the outside positions with Tillman not practicing.
p.brown

Last edited:
I wish the notes would state which QB is throwing when they report a WR not catching a ball.

Also good to hear Nico was at the practice. If he's soaking it all in, I may have to revise my statement and he could very well be QB1 or QB2 his freshman year

Tough drill. Especially for big men. I know some NFL teams do this drill even on a tighter circle to help increase the “body lean”
Isn't part of the drill too just getting the muscle memory down for a D lineman?
I mean come off the line in a circle around the opposing guy to get behind them.

If so, I hope our guys are running a lot of circles this year.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Isn't part of the drill too just getting the muscle memory down for a D lineman?
I mean come off the line in a circle around the opposing guy to get behind them.

If so, I hope our guys are running a lot of circles this year.
its to learn the fast footwork and body lean to cut the angle around a blocker.

VN Store

Back