Spring games

Wait.

Just because Florida does something, why should we assume Tennessee would do the same?

I don't get it, man. Seems to me, 13 of the 14 programs in the SEC haven't said a thing about cancelling spring games, but we're expected to follow the lead of the 1 that did?

Totally don't get it.
#VolGators

Reactions: Jaws and VFL-82-JP
Hilarious..."play the way you fight"...six months ahead of time. Good grief. The Spring Game has always been a huge PR success, especially for the kids. An opportunity to meet, greet, tail-gate, talk to the players, get some autographs, purchase some more orange from the Vol shops. Some of the best family times of my life. No matter what anyone brings up with a positive spin you can count on some VOL nation poster to be the "get off my yard" guy. It is not like we don't have most practices recorded and posted on-line.

Wait.

Just because Florida does something, why should we assume Tennessee would do the same?

I don't get it, man. Seems to me, 13 of the 14 programs in the SEC haven't said a thing about cancelling spring games, but we're expected to follow the lead of the 1 that did?

Totally don't get it.
I don't think anybody has really said that we should follow suit; just that it wouldn't be surprising if fans were excluded from Spring games.

Do you guys think we will have 90,000 in Neyland this September? or will it be reduced to 15 or 20k like this past season due to COVID

I don't think anybody has really said that we should follow suit; just that it wouldn't be surprising if fans were excluded from Spring games.
However you choose to interpret the OP's statement, whether game cancelled or just fans excluded (it is vague), it clearly includes an expectation ("don't be surprised if") Tennessee follows suit. And I don't see any reason to believe we would.

Florida just canceled their spring game, don't be shocked if Tennessee follows soon. Florida is still having spring practice, just no spring game that fans can actually attend which is what I think UT ultimately does

I mean, who the hell follows Florida, except out of idle curiosity?

Do you guys think we will have 90,000 in Neyland this September? or will it be reduced to 15 or 20k like this past season due to COVID
Subject matter experts, even well-meaning ones, tend to hesitate when it's time to give up "temporary" authority.

So I'm expecting at least a vocal minority of public health care advisors (and politicians pretending to be health care advisors) to continue to counsel caution well beyond the first round of vaccinations. And one way to be cautious is to keep limiting crowd sizes to one extent or another.

Even though it seems likely everyone who wants to be vaccinated (hopefully that means the vast majority of us) will have had the opportunity before September.

My personal guess would be something more than what was allowed in 2020, but less than full cheek-to-cheek capacity. Say, 50% maybe. Or 75%.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
However you choose to interpret the OP's statement, whether game cancelled or just fans excluded (it is vague), it clearly includes an expectation ("don't be surprised if") Tennessee follows suit. And I don't see any reason to believe we would.

I mean, who the hell follows Florida, except out of idle curiosity?
Subject matter experts, even well-meaning ones, tend to hesitate when it's time to give up "temporary" authority.

So I'm expecting at least a vocal minority of public health care advisors (and politicians pretending to be health care advisors) to continue to counsel caution well beyond the first round of vaccinations. And one way to be cautious is to keep limiting crowd sizes to one extent or another.

Even though it seems likely everyone who wants to be vaccinated (hopefully that means the vast majority of us) will have had the opportunity before September.

My personal guess would be something more than what was allowed in 2020, but less than full cheek-to-cheek capacity. Say, 50% maybe. Or 75%.
Surely we will have more herd immunity built up by September as well

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Yeah, fans aren't very important, just a boat anchor for the coach.....good grief!

volsfan was just making a point, which was actual spot on. Fans are important but also the ones that complain when a player goes down with an injury during a meaningless scrimmage that is like watching paint dry.

I'd be okay with no spring game but spring camp.

Better yet, I would love a televised spring game with no fans.

Surely we will have more herd immunity built up by September as well

Unfortunately there are many alleged experts saying reduction of attendance will occur rest of the year along with mask wearing.

I thought that was a ridiculous assumption but the vaccine may not be made avl to the general public until late summer months.

I hope that is not the case as I’m over covid but think some of the country will be hesitant to go life as usual prior covid.

UGA is going to try and have fans for their Spring game and limit it to 20% capacity.

1. The Vaccine is available but not to all yet
2. They'll still have spring practice
3. I don't think they'll have an actual game that fans can attend
not everyone in TN is 65+ years old with comorbidity. Vaccines for normal healthy people aren't coming for a while

Florida just canceled their spring game, don't be shocked if Tennessee follows soon. Florida is still having spring practice, just no spring game that fans can actually attend which is what I think UT ultimately does

As I said a few weeks ago, I don't expect Tennessee to have an Orange and White Game. There are people in the building that want to do it with the new staff and the need to drum up some excitement to sell tickets in the fall if they will be allowed to have more than 25% capacity. I know there is also some pressure from some corporate sponsors to have it, but I don't see it at this point.

Right now, the energy is on creating a plan that will get more fans in the stadium this fall. If current vaccination trends continue at their current pace, we're still going to be looking at a significantly reduced crowd this fall.

Reactions: kcvols1
This team needs as many snaps as possible this spring. I really hope they get to have the game (even if we're not invited)...
Im all for trading out the spring game in exchange for a full offseason. Its way more important. Hell i wouldnt mind if our players/coaches went into a Knoxville bubble for the next 3-4 months.

UF cancelled spring game at the swamp because it will be used as a large COVID vaccine and testing site.

UF cancelled spring game at the swamp because it will be used as a large COVID vaccine and testing site.
Yeah but I still don't see it happening with Tennessee, Georgia said it's going to "try" to have a spring game with 20% capacity. My money says they ultimately cancel, like Deerpark said spring games are nice for the fans but the ultimate goal is to shift back to having full stadiums this fall.

Yeah but I still don't see it happening with Tennessee, Georgia said it's going to "try" to have a spring game with 20% capacity. My money says they ultimately cancel, like Deerpark said spring games are nice for the fans but the ultimate goal is to shift back to having full stadiums this fall.

I see no reason UGA won’t have attendance at the spring game. We just went through a season with 20-25% capacity. Makes no sense to now just cancel it or play it without fans. We just literally went through this. Bama is doing the same.

I see no reason UGA won’t have attendance at the spring game. We just went through a season with 20-25% capacity. Makes no sense to now just cancel it or play it without fans. We just literally went through this. Bama is doing the same.

I think the difference can best be explained by the great philosopher who once said . . .
We're in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice. Not a game. Not a game. Not a game. We're talking about practice. Not a game. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game. We're talking about practice, man.

I mean how silly is that. And we're talking about practice. I know I'm supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example. I know that and I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important. I do, I honestly do. But we're talking about practice, man. What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man?

VN Store

Back