Spring game won't be televised

Taking you for your word, dating back to when? Who were the most active posters when you lurked? Going back to that status when Maurer leaves? If you feel your guy got a raw deal from Pruitt (as you sometimes indicate), will you still push for UT? You do know the difference between INTEREST and FANDOM, right? Personal example: I pulled for both the Colts and the Broncos respectively during Peyton’s time with each franchise. To the point of mock drafts and free agency moves to bolster his supporting cast...that kind of INTEREST. When he missed a season and they were positioned to draft another 15+ season franchise QB in Andrew Luck (thought at the time), I never faulted them...made perfect sense. Ended my intense interest in the franchise...but no hate. Similarly when Peyton pulled up lame at the beginning of what was to be his final season, I thought until the final game that they should stick with his backup, Brock Osweiler. That’s separating the fanboy from the objective observer for those keeping score. After his retirement, I have vague interest in the franchises but without grievances from perceived injustice to my favorite player. That’s where I see you. You might like the board, SOME of the posters 😉 and whatever else you said, but are you going to be able to replicate a young butchna who thought Sterling Henton was the next Tony Robinson and didn’t want Rhea County’s Andy Kelly to sidetrack that career arc? Kelly was better and I cheered accordingly with much vigor. You’ve subtly thrown out that I’m the same with Bailey as you are with Maurer, but you can’t claim that you were a Vols supporter long before the current QB crop and will be long after. One of us has that track record.

1) I would say 2013 or so but at that time it was strictly business. Over time I gained respect of the fan base as a whole because of how down to earth and fair they are.
2) I didn’t pay as much attention to WHO said what as I did WHAT was said. So I cant answer that honestly. I do think I vaguely remember D4h posts though because it seemed whenever he said anything the dogs got him.
3) I criticize Pruitt for the way he HANDLED the qbs. Not for a raw deal. I think he was too lenient on JG and too hard on both BM and JTS. I feel once he made the switch he should’ve committed to it the way he did JG and the TEAM would’ve benefited for the future rather than the “now”
4) I can’t argue that fact. Give me 10 years and we’ll revisit it. 😂

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
If you were actively lurking with any interest you should have some semblance of a theory. Never said you weren’t knowledgeable.
I know you never said I’m not knowledgeable but what I’m saying is I’m an offensive mind and I’ve admitted the trenches are not my area. Therefore I don’t look at o lineman and d lineman as individuals. I view them as a unit and how well they work as such. It’s easy to see when a d lineman is in the backfield but it’s not so easy to see what the o lineman lacks in technique that allowed him to get there. Therefore I elect to keep my mouth shut on individual skill sets. Make sense?

Don't care how, but I'll be watching! Go Vols 2020

Oh, and I forgot how terrible John Adams was. Didn't realize he was still there. Had to laugh at the headline. Maybe they meant to publish it in blue font cause I'm pretty sure JG's had 4 years to bring out his best. But now competition will make him better, Ok John, ok.

knox news.JPG

Don't care how, but I'll be watching! Go Vols 2020

Oh, and I forgot how terrible John Adams was. Didn't realize he was still there. Had to laugh at the headline. Maybe they meant to publish it in blue font cause I'm pretty sure JG's had 4 years to bring out his best. But now competition will make him better, Ok John, ok.

View attachment 264751
So when John is negative everyone b!tches and now when John tries to be positive we b!tch?

So when John is negative everyone b!tches and now when John tries to be positive we b!tch?

No matter how much we b!itch, it will never meet the level of b!tching by JA over the years. I was just surprised they still let him write, or that he still has a job, or even that the Knoxville News Sentinel is still around.

No matter how much we b!itch, it will never meet the level of b!tching by JA over the years. I was just surprised they still let him write, or that he still has a job, or even that the Knoxville News Sentinel is still around.
Yeah the 24 hour news cycle is killing news papers, so is the internet

That's not exactly "positive". How is it "positive" to say that it takes 4 years for JG to feel enough competitive pressure to bring out the best in him?

The best thing anyone can do for the Vols is boycott Adams until KNS is forced to fire him. He's awful going all the way back to Fulmer.

That's not exactly "positive". How is it "positive" to say that it takes 4 years for JG to feel enough competitive pressure to bring out the best in him?

The best thing anyone can do for the Vols is boycott Adams until KNS is forced to fire him. He's awful going all the way back to Fulmer.
Bringing out the best in someone is negative? Not defending Adams but I think it's an overreaction to a positive article. If JG doesn't improve this fall then this team is going to struggle, pretty simple

Bringing out the best in someone is negative? Not defending Adams but I think it's an overreaction to a positive article. If JG doesn't improve this fall then this team is going to struggle, pretty simple
I just believe it is a backhanded compliment coming from Adams. Essentially that JG and the Vols have sucked so bad that "maybe" competition will bring out the best in him now. A RS Sr shouldn't even need that.

It is my honest opinion that JG is what he is. He doesn't read D's fast but has gotten better at reading them IF the OL can give him more time than QB's typically get. He now manages the run game well. But he doesn't see the quick opportunities because he has to "think and see" before making a decision. He didn't throw receivers open as a RS Fr... and didn't as a RS Jr. He didn't lead receivers well as a RS Fr... and didn't as a RS Jr. He doesn't show the ability to visualize then throw to a spot. He's still apprehensive about risks... and has made more mistakes since they forced him to take more risks by benching him.

There is an element of natural ability when it comes to the things I'm talking about. He does not appear to be very talented in that way.

If he's the starter, he will most likely cost UT games they should have won. The easy button (JJ) is gone. The first half of IU is probably an indication. His weaknesses just make him easy to defend... even teams that do not have a lot of talent on D like Vandy and IU.

I don't care who it is... even if by some miracle it is JG... I just want to see a MUCH more effective QB next fall.

Well, we had to watch the start of last years game on the app because there was an amazing women's softball game on, so this doesn't shock me.

The only way I can see it working out is rotating qbs to both teams. Like JG starts with white, Maurer starts with orange for the first series of each team. Second series JG sits, Maurer goes to white and HB goes to orange. Then Maurer sits, HB white, Shrout orange. So on and so forth. Any other way somebody is getting the shaft in such a crowed qb room. Jmo
Yeah there are a few qbs on the roster that we need to see against the 1st team defense (mainly BM,JT, & HB).

Yeah there are a few qbs on the roster that we need to see against the 1st team defense (mainly BM,JT, & HB).
Going with my idea it’ll give everyone the same amount of opportunities with both the 1s and 2s. At the end the coaches will have a more broad idea of who preformed the best overall vs the D supported by a equal opportunity as well as stats. That probably won’t be how it goes down but I think it’s the easiest way to narrow down the competition.

Reactions: 901 Orange
100! sir!!!
" TV " is in a really weird spot at the moment. Younger folks simply do not watch it anymore. They all stream it. Via laptop, taplet, or phone. The old days of antennas and or cable boxes are a thing of the past.
My two sons (21 and 18) each bought 4K televisions to stream content. They watch content on various devices, but, the preferred are the larger screens. The content is portable, of course.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Going with my idea it’ll give everyone the same amount of opportunities with both the 1s and 2s. At the end the coaches will have a more broad idea of who preformed the best overall vs the D supported by a equal opportunity as well as stats. That probably won’t be how it goes down but I think it’s the easiest way to narrow down the competition.
I will be surprised if they don't play two QB's with the 1's and 3 with the 2's in the Orange and White game. IMHO, JG will be one of the guys who plays with the 1's unless he just fails completely during camp. I would give BM the edge to be the other one at this point with HB having a legit shot also. Shrout should probably get more consideration than he will. I'm not real sure at this point why they took Hill.

If someone has put in the time to learn management of the O and catch up to JG in that regard... it will get interesting.

If Holiday doesn't compare well throwing the ball (which I don't think he will) then he will probably ask to be moved before spring is over.

I will be surprised if they don't play two QB's with the 1's and 3 with the 2's in the Orange and White game. IMHO, JG will be one of the guys who plays with the 1's unless he just fails completely during camp. I would give BM the edge to be the other one at this point with HB having a legit shot also. Shrout should probably get more consideration than he will. I'm not real sure at this point why they took Hill.

If someone has put in the time to learn management of the O and catch up to JG in that regard... it will get interesting.

If Holiday doesn't compare well throwing the ball (which I don't think he will) then he will probably ask to be moved before spring is over.
If I had to guess I’d bet my left arm that you’re right. I just don’t see how they (coaches) compare accurately without all being put at the same odds. JG and BM being so different in playing style is a challenge as well for Chaney and he’ll have the same problem calling plays for the differences in HB and Shrout vs Holliday. Not to mention with there being 3 on the 2 team someone isn’t getting a fair opportunity which would more than likely be Holliday if I had to guess. I can see him being moved to WR or DB as well.

I just wish the coaches would find a way to disperse the reps evenly for us all to see rather than keeping the competition so secretive.

If I had to guess I’d bet my left arm that you’re right. I just don’t see how they (coaches) compare accurately without all being put at the same odds. JG and BM being so different in playing style is a challenge as well for Chaney and he’ll have the same problem calling plays for the differences in HB and Shrout vs Holliday. Not to mention with there being 3 on the 2 team someone isn’t getting a fair opportunity which would more than likely be Holliday if I had to guess. I can see him being moved to WR or DB as well.

I just wish the coaches would find a way to disperse the reps evenly for us all to see rather than keeping the competition so secretive.
While I would love to know... if I were in their shoes I'd handle it all "in house" too. Exposing the players to all those questions adds the wrong kind of pressure IMO.

I don't think they will all get the same odds/chances. JG has a head start. I think BM's playing time last year while up and down positions him strongly at 2. I think Shrout would have to come in and be a master of the offense to have any chance at all. I think HB being "their guy" gives him a boost. Again he needs to have spent so much time in the film room that he steps onto the field day one as a master of the O.

IMHO, this competition comes down to whether any of the other 4 or 5 if you count Holiday have closed the gap enough with JG in management of the O. I think as pure throwers BM and JTS are better than JG. Both demonstrated an ability to lead receivers and anticipate throws. HB may be a better thrower too. I just haven't seen him against and with college level talent.

While I would love to know... if I were in their shoes I'd handle it all "in house" too. Exposing the players to all those questions adds the wrong kind of pressure IMO.

I don't think they will all get the same odds/chances. JG has a head start. I think BM's playing time last year while up and down positions him strongly at 2. I think Shrout would have to come in and be a master of the offense to have any chance at all. I think HB being "their guy" gives him a boost. Again he needs to have spent so much time in the film room that he steps onto the field day one as a master of the O.

IMHO, this competition comes down to whether any of the other 4 or 5 if you count Holiday have closed the gap enough with JG in management of the O. I think as pure throwers BM and JTS are better than JG. Both demonstrated an ability to lead receivers and anticipate throws. HB may be a better thrower too. I just haven't seen him against and with college level talent.
I agree when looking at it from that angle, however as a coach you know what positions fall short of taking the team to the next level. It’s no secret that UT now has a really good defense which works out perfectly for our weakness. Find the qb that stresses THAT defense the most in game like setting because it’s likely that qb will be one that stresses any defense the most throughout the season. Should it be anyone other than JG then WORK YOUR ASS OFF to get that qb caught up in the management and adjust to his weaknesses while excepting the fact that he’s going to make mistakes along the way. That was CJPs mistake last year. He thought experience was “end all be all” and it bit him in the ass early and nearly cost him his job. I guess my concern is if he’s going to make the same mistake twice and so far it appears as if he is. It’s not as open of a competition as maybe it should be when he was asked in an interview if JG would be coming back a few months ago and his response was : “Why wouldn’t he? He’s our starting qb.” . I’m hoping that was just coach talk and he learned from his mistake because not ALWAYS is your best practice players the best game players.

VN Store

Back