Sports Illustrated early Heisman odds for Joe Milton 2023

I’m a cautiously optimistic fan of Milton, but any preseason hype for him as a Heisman candidate is ludicrously ridiculous at the most liberal interpretation of hyperbolic media bait click. If a half dozen other historically great UT players (and that is a very conservative estimate) should have been verifiably considered a Heisman candidate after a multiple year career of Volunteer excellence were denied, his consideration at this point is a complete farce, and he should agree with this. It matters not what he does in this coming year, Peyton, Heath, Condredge, Jimmy, countless others have done so much more than he can hope to register for his contribution to the history of this great football institution. I honestly do hope that he puts up a year worthy of proportion. But these people are pissing on the history of college football in general if they are considering him a Heisman candidate at this point.
It most definitely does matter what he does this coming year. They give out the Heisman based on what you do during that one season, not what you did or didn’t do before. They’re putting him in there because he’s taking over the best offense in the country and he looked good enough in the bowl game.

The Florida game will be very telling. Always a tough environment early in the season. Milton struggled with decision making in the bowl game at times when we had someone open but he panicked and took sacks. Decision making under pressure and accuracy will need to continue to improve. More optimistic after the bowl game though

He is a contender based on what? He has a lot of potential and a few (generously) good games. This is a complete joke. Don’t get me wrong, I hope he does enough to get there, but he has not done enough to be considered at this point. He has done far more to take himself out of consideration if a man is being honest.
Yes he has

He's on a contending team, torched Clemson, is in the number one offense and has a ton of weapons coming back.

You're just mad Milton has been proving you wrong.

The Florida game will be very telling. Always a tough environment early in the season. Milton struggled with decision making in the bowl game at times when we had someone open but he panicked and took sacks. Decision making under pressure and accuracy will need to continue to improve. More optimistic after the bowl game though
He got sacked because no one was open.

It’s all about his free time. Any player that wants to get better knows the drills that will help them improve their craft on the practice field. It’s still possible to out work your opponents and be better prepared for the game.

Film study will benefit JM too. JM able to recognize the look the JH is trying to get from the defense will be critical. There a lot of hot reads that JM will need be familiar with this season.

I remember going into the 21 season he was interviewed by Swain. They prefaced a question by saying someone like Dobbs and someone I can’t recall did some charity work in his off time, how do you spend your time away from the field. He replied “I play a lot of Call of Duty.”

I just hung my head and sarcastically muttered to myself “man we are in good hands”.

I’m glad his done a lot of growing in the time as a backup. I think he picked up a lot from Hendon’s character in their friendship.

Alex Ansted
@AlexAnstedCFB
Sports Illustrated released their early
2023 Heisman odds:
2023-24 Heisman Trophy Odds
Caleb Williams (QB) USC +350
Drake Maye (QB) North Carolina +900
Bo Nix (QB), Oregon +1100
Jordan Travis (QB) Florida State +1100
Michael Penix Jr. (QB) Washington
+1100
Quinn Evers (QB) Texas +1300
Brock Vandagriff (QB) Georgia +1300
Sam Hartman (QB) Notre Dame +1400
Cade Klubnik (QB) Clemson +1400
Jayden Daniels (QB) LSU +1700
Joe Milton (QB) Tennessee +1700
Drew Allar (QB) Penn State +1700
Ty Simpson (QB) Alabama +2200
Kyle McCord (QB) Ohio State +2200
J.J. McCarthy (QB) Michigan +2200
Dillon Gabriel (QB) Oklahoma +2500
Donovan Edwards (RB) Michigan +3500
Nick Singleton (RB) Penn State +3500
Jeff Sims (QB) Nebraska +4500
Devin Brown (QB) Ohio State +4500
Marvin Harrison Jr. (WR) Ohio State
+4500

I’ll take that for now, but could climb big time for the odds, and actually could be close to winning it. I know a lot of people got burnt with Payton Manning, but still he is in the running for it.
I like Penix from this list. Obviously Williams will be up there but people don’t win 2. Been done only once and something seems to always mess up that second attempt. If you look at Washington’s schedule they will be favored in all but 1, maybe 2 games. He puts up big stats. I predict he has a great year, gets UW into the playoff and wins it.

How strange. Many on here said Milton could not improve. That he will always be overthrow Joe. Inaccurate and not very good. Would those people have ever thought Milton would have a shot at the Heisman? Just goes to show what dedication, hard work and good coaching can do.
Let's see how the season plays out before claiming he has a "shot" at the Heisman and taking a victory lap.

I was impressed how well he did against Vandy and Clemson. Yes, it's a small snapshot, but he did better than a lot on here thought he would. I know there were some sacks against Clemson, but watching the replay, a couple of them, he recognized the pressure and tried to scramble, but one of the offensive linemen was blocking to Joe's left, the way he was trying to run. That blocked his path and the sack happened. I don't know, none of us do, if he will put up Heisman numbers or not, but it would be great if he is close to Hooker's output.

I’m a cautiously optimistic fan of Milton, but any preseason hype for him as a Heisman candidate is ludicrously ridiculous at the most liberal interpretation of hyperbolic media bait click. If a half dozen other historically great UT players (and that is a very conservative estimate) should have been verifiably considered a Heisman candidate after a multiple year career of Volunteer excellence were denied, his consideration at this point is a complete farce, and he should agree with this. It matters not what he does in this coming year, Peyton, Heath, Condredge, Jimmy, countless others have done so much more than he can hope to register for his contribution to the history of this great football institution. I honestly do hope that he puts up a year worthy of proportion. But these people are pissing on the history of college football in general if they are considering him a Heisman candidate at this point.

While given Joe's overthrows of wide open receivers, running out of bounds as time expires, we all know the things, could make anyone skeptical, some of the throws he does make are freaking jaw dropping. The frozen rope he threw to McCoy on that first Orange Bowl TD was about as good as it gets. Then, with what looked like a flick of the wrist he leads Squirrel back to the middle of the field for the bomb that sets up the second TD. On that play he gets pressure off the left edge and just calmly steps up enough to avoid the rusher (who came untouched) and makes a huge play. Then on that last TD bomb he has a blitzer in his face and can't follow through on his throw but has enough arm strength and accuracy to hit Keaton in stride. We throw the ball to the boundary a lot and with the splits our WR's take its a long throw, especially when we scrimmage from the far hash. Joe rockets the ball over there like he's throwing a baseball and gives our WR's a great chance to make a play on the edge. I could go on but its undeniable the guy is about as physically gifted a QB as we have ever had here.

Has his accuracy and decision making been suspect? Absolutely, but the dude can make throws that only a handful of people on the planet can make. He has the physical skills to put up pin ball numbers in this offense. Will he get the mental game to the extent Hooker did? That remains to be seen. I trust CJH to roll with whoever can get the job done. Personally I'm pulling for Joe because he stuck around rather than hitting the portal when he lost the job last year. GO BIG JOE & GBO

I may put some on Milton. We’ve addressed our needs well in the portal, have a good corp of WRs, and this offense will always produced

The main reason Milton is on the list, is the same reason their is 2 QB's form Ohio St. on the list, it's the offense. And if Milton and our offense put up numbers again this year, Nico will be on the preseason list next year without ever starting a game

Reactions: omghulkhands
He is a contender based on what? He has a lot of potential and a few (generously) good games. This is a complete joke. Don’t get me wrong, I hope he does enough to get there, but he has not done enough to be considered at this point. He has done far more to take himself out of consideration if a man is being honest.
When has logic ever applied to the Heisman?

How strange. Many on here said Milton could not improve. That he will always be overthrow Joe. Inaccurate and not very good. Would those people have ever thought Milton would have a shot at the Heisman? Just goes to show what dedication, hard work and good coaching can do.
I don't recall seeing a single person saying Milton "could not improve". I think many thought he might not improve, and justifiably so. I think all were hopeful he would improve. IMO the jury is still out, but I'm hopeful he will exceed everyone's expectations. He's got a lot of talent and incentive (millions)--but, so did Jamarcus Russell.

Reactions: Bloodrunsorange27
How has standing on the sidelines and soaking it up since HH took over, with his only two starts since that time being Vandy and Clemson wins not at least put him on the map, especially with his physical skills being unmatched in all of college football? He is on the list because they did not want to deal with him becoming a viable candidate, taking over the most productive offense last year, and them NOT having him on the list. I am sure that the OVERTHROW legion are uncomfortable with the potential. So once again I am going to show the screenshot of THE BELL COW overthrow Joe made last year. You know, the one that was so high it ended up in the stands.... AND once again I want EVERYONE to notice the receiver was maybe 4 inches off the ground and the ball went through his arms and even blocks view of his left hand.

View attachment 532379
When a guy is that wide open, you shouldn't throw a bullet that high. All you need do is float the ball into his chest. That's the issue.

How has standing on the sidelines and soaking it up since HH took over, with his only two starts since that time being Vandy and Clemson wins not at least put him on the map, especially with his physical skills being unmatched in all of college football? He is on the list because they did not want to deal with him becoming a viable candidate, taking over the most productive offense last year, and them NOT having him on the list. I am sure that the OVERTHROW legion are uncomfortable with the potential. So once again I am going to show the screenshot of THE BELL COW overthrow Joe made last year. You know, the one that was so high it ended up in the stands.... AND once again I want EVERYONE to notice the receiver was maybe 4 inches off the ground and the ball went through his arms and even blocks view of his left hand.

View attachment 532379
Several of us have pointed this out before.

I think the consensus each time was that the receiver has the inalienable right and expectation to stand with BOTH feet solidly on the ground when 7 is the QB. Otherwise it was mos def a bad pass.
Am I doing it right?
:rolleyes:

Hooker was notorious for that. What’s your point?

I think my point was pretty clear. He had time to throw, a receiver was open, and he panicked and took a sack. Hooker would have hit those throws and any decent QB would have hit those throws.. He needs to improve his decision making. Does that help?

VN Store

Back