Spectrum vs. Disney -- A Development Tracking Thread

The question is "how many" of those subscribers are "active" ESPN users? In one article, Disney says is it in the 70% range, Charter says it is in the 25% range. Neither say it is 100%. I suspect Disney's take is inflated and Charter's take is deflated. Today all Charter subscribers pay for Disney/ESPN whether they use it or not. Many will not care that they no longer have it and will welcome the decrease in their bill.

The fact is that the only streaming service that makes money is Netflix. Can ESPN as a direct to consumer make money? That is yet to be proven as it has always been wrapped up in a package. Plus, there are still games on non-ESPN channels - folks will choice and adjust. Some may just go back to listening on the radio.
Just ESPN is well south of 70% but there's FX, Nat Geo, ABC original content, Hulu original content, etc. I've no idea what programs are involved. I probably only watch Nat Geo and then only at night if I'm unable to sleep.

And I agree it's a $2B question that is going to cost both money in the end, but that's actually good for consumers in the short run. If you don't want ESPN, you get a bundle that should be cheaper. If you want ESPN and little else, eventually you should be able to buy it streaming and ignore whatever else is out there. That sounds good except it's not profitable.

If ESPN streaming is a complete dog for Disney, one of Amazon, Alphabet or Apple could buy it cheap and either fold it into Prime, Apple TV, etc or shut it down, but they are not stupid enough to honor the ridiculous contracts to the conferences.

If ESPN is sold or shuttered, all those big contracts won't matter nor be honored. The SEC and others won't be able to squeeze $300M from another provider who just watched Disney lose their shirt because of them. More importantly to me, I'll be back to something like Jefferson-Pilot and spotty, regional broadcasts.

That's the issue: who is going to continue feeding us all this sports content if ESPN dies? If it's not profitable, no one. If it is profitable, those of us who want to watch it are going to pay dearly for the privilege.

We've had it pretty good for the last several years and things change. The sports buffet is about to close......or get really, really expensive.

Reactions: SpookyAction
And if ESPN is a standalone service, I can drop my existing live tv subscription. In the end, I’m paying the same (ever increasing) price. I’m just writing a check to a different company and clicking on a different app. But I’m always shocked at how many people still pay for cable.

I pay $160 a month for cable(that includes HBO, Showtime, Starz, and MGM)

Are the other options that much cheaper if you include those extra channels? I looked. They are not.

Reactions: volfan102455

Are the other options that much cheaper if you include those extra channels. I looked. They are not.

I have done the math as well - streaming is not cheaper. Deciding you can do without something to pay for something else, yes. But the huge savings is not there. When I did the math, I saved ...... drum roll .... $2 per month.

Reactions: vols 30
It's not about Spectrum vs Disney as companies. It's about which side gets me more for my money. In this case Spectrum winning gets a reduced streaming bill because I don't have to pay Disney for Hulu(which just had a rate hike) Disney+, and ESPN+ to offset the coming Spectrum rate hike. If Disney wins I get a rate hike with nothing, zero, zilch, bupkiss. You'll see this same thing play out with every video provider if Disney wins this.

I hate Charter as much and probably more than anyone. But, you need to put aside whatever vendetta you have against them(I'm sure it's valid) for a second and make a decision based on your own self interest. In this case I get more out of Spectrum winning. Once again, I'm not on Spectrum's side, I'm on mine.
Spectrum is not going to give you more for your money.
It has never happened before, and is not happening here.
The fact you believe that is based on Spectrum's spin.

Good Luck. I hope it happens, but deep down, you have to know better.
If you are a Spectrum customer, why would you ever believe they are standing up for you and trying to represent your best interests?
When have they done that before?
I really want to know.

Spectrum is not going to give you more for your money.
It has never happened before, and is not happening here.
The fact you believe that is based on Spectrum's spin.

Good Luck. I hope it happens, but deep down, you have to know better.
If you are a Spectrum customer, why would you ever believe they are standing up for you and trying to represent your best interests?
When have they done that before?
I really want to know.

That is not it at all. Both sides have said that Spectrum asked for ESPN+, Disney+ to be included in the package offering with ESPN and the other Disney related Channels. Spectrum wants to offer that as a package with the cable bundle offerings. For those of us, and I am one, that has the + items and Spectrum, I would be able to get those as a package verse paying for ESPN in the cable package and then purchasing the others separately. Bundles are typically always less than paying for the individual parts. That will ultimately benefit the consumers who want all of those. I also would expect this to be a selection and you can choose it or not, which would benefit those that don't care about ESPN and/or Disney. As a consumer I could choose the sports package, the Disney package, neither or both. So, I as a consumer get choices, which I don't have today as those channels are part of the basic package and I pay for them regardless.

I agree it is not just a 'for the consumer only tactic'. But it is better than what Disney wants to do which is add to the cost that Spectrum will pass on to the consumers and have those consumers that also want the + channels to pay for those.

Disney / ESPN have hinted at going direct to market with ESPN, but all indications are that would not be profitable without charging a ridiculous monthly / yearly charge.

For me this is all about the industry moving to giving consumers choices in what they want to pay for (build your own package), whether it be within a cable TV package or from a streaming service.

That is not it at all. Both sides have said that Spectrum asked for ESPN+, Disney+ to be included in the package offering with ESPN and the other Disney related Channels. Spectrum wants to offer that as a package with the cable bundle offerings. For those of us, and I am one, that has the + items and Spectrum, I would be able to get those as a package verse paying for ESPN in the cable package and then purchasing the others separately. Bundles are typically always less than paying for the individual parts. That will ultimately benefit the consumers who want all of those. I also would expect this to be a selection and you can choose it or not, which would benefit those that don't care about ESPN and/or Disney. As a consumer I could choose the sports package, the Disney package, neither or both. So, I as a consumer get choices, which I don't have today as those channels are part of the basic package and I pay for them regardless.

I agree it is not just a 'for the consumer only tactic'. But it is better than what Disney wants to do which is add to the cost that Spectrum will pass on to the consumers and have those consumers that also want the + channels to pay for those.

Disney / ESPN have hinted at going direct to market with ESPN, but all indications are that would not be profitable without charging a ridiculous monthly / yearly charge.

For me this is all about the industry moving to giving consumers choices in what they want to pay for (build your own package), whether it be within a cable TV package or from a streaming service.
I get all of that, but the fact you believe Spectrum will deliver that at a savings to you is the part I don't understand.
The entire premise is they will deliver Disney content at a savings to them they will pass on to you.
When has Spectrum done anything to make you believe that is what will happen.
They'll give you a nice introductory rate, then turn the screws on you.
You trust Spectrum. Why?
What have they done in the past 30 years to make you expect a long term savings?
They have never made a move in favor of their customers.
Why do you think this situation will be different. They will give you choice, and You Will Pay.

Spectrum will do what is in their nature, just like the scorpion riding on the frog's back.

Last edited:
Disney is taking on water RAPIDLY

Just spent time I will not get back reading this but he is spot on with what is happening. Hopefully radio especially the ability to listen to stations from almost anywhere on the radio will fill the void.

I do remember when I was younger sitting at the table with my Dad listening to John Ward announce the Tennessee football and basketball games. It was great - didn't really need a TV to live those moments.

Reactions: nash101

Are the other options that much cheaper if you include those extra channels? I looked. They are not.

My Spectrum cable alone is over $215 and that's with all premiums and 5 receivers I pay 10.99 monthly for plus DVR monthly. I can get everything I have now plus the ability to stream on up to 10 devices on Fubo for $80+ less. And the first 2 months almost $100 less. 60+ is just receiver and dvr fees alone.

My Spectrum cable alone is over $215 and that's with all premiums and 5 receivers I pay 10.99 monthly for plus DVR monthly. I can get everything I have now plus the ability to stream on up to 10 devices on Fubo for $80+ less. And the first 2 months almost $100 less. 60+ is just receiver and dvr fees alone.

I looked at Fubo - the pro is $75.00 +tax so yes around $80ish similar to the Spectrum package with the same channels, that does not include any premium channels. If I want those it is $99 dollars a month + tax which is a "add on" amount similar to what I have with Spectrum. It doesn't appear to include MAX or HBO - so not all the premium channels are included.

For me it is the receivers and DVR charges that are the primary cost difference - some of those are going back - trying to get the family to part with all of them which would put me close to the cost of the streaming companies - with the only question being the missing ESPN channels - my family doesn't watch the other Disney channels so those are not a concern. If ESPN doesn't come back then I will probably just switch to YTTV but need to rid myself of the receivers first and get everyone using the cloud DVR services.

I get all of that, but the fact you believe Spectrum will deliver that at a savings to you is the part I don't understand.
The entire premise is they will deliver Disney content at a savings to them they will pass on to you.
When has Spectrum done anything to make you believe that is what will happen.
They'll give you a nice introductory rate, then turn the screws on you.
You trust Spectrum. Why?
What have they done in the past 30 years to make you expect a long term savings?
They have never made a move in favor of their customers.
Why do you think this situation will be different. They will give you choice, and You Will Pay.

Spectrum will do what is in their nature, just like the scorpion riding on the frog's back.
They will be paying more with the proposed deal, which is what Disney wants. A price increase is coming either way.

This would let Charter spin that access to the Disney bundle as an offset to the increase (and it would be if you already subscribe to Disney streaming services). Thereby shifting some of the revenue from Disney to Charter for those streaming services.

It's in their best interest to deliver that at a discount compared to Disney beacuse it's not a selling point otherwise. I trust Charter to act in it's own interest.

Last edited:
Disney must be getting desperate

If you need all the extras all the time it’s not. If you’re willing to swap them out instead you can save a lot. I decided I only really need either 0 or 1 of those extras at a time and that there are even some months in the summer when I don’t need live tv at all

So grim cord-cutters that we are (and also too lazy to buy and install an HD antenna), we partially sleazed back to Charter via their a la carte streaming service, which includes networks plus some Fox sports stations. I've noticed that news, evening broadcast TV, etc are pretty much fine, but their CBS games are nearly unwatchable - pixellated jerky video, frequent freezes, etc.

Is this just how it goes with Charter streaming? Are they trying to force us back to a cable subscription? (the way my iPhones seem to start crapping out when a new model comes out...) ESPN and SEC coverage on Sling is fine.

This isn't some 10-zillion-dollar setup. Just a 37 inch HDTV.
I installed an antenna years ago, but it did not provide the cable channels. ESPN, sec, or national news. So I stayed with spec til yesterday. I got YouTube tv and I love it! Lots of cool features.

Reactions: VolNExile

YTTV, HBO, Showtime would be around $110. I doubt starz and MGM would cost anywhere near $50.

YTTV, HBO, Showtime would be around $110. I doubt starz and MGM would cost anywhere near $50.

It was going to be $140 a month on YouTube for the same channels I have with Spectrum. I didn't Feel like switching for just a $20 difference plus YouTube doesn't carry Bally sports.

I may end up switching one day. Bally getting back on YouTube would be appealing

Yes Bally sports is important if you are an MLB watcher. I am not but I have a family member who is and they use my connection. I may need to wait for the world series to be over or I may be in hiding.

I just received an email from Spectrum offering a free trial to Fubo....
same
if you follow the link down into the rabbit hole, it charges you for two months at the end of the seven-day period, albeit at a 50 percent off discount

it's a toss up between YTTV and Hulu live and ditching Spectrum streaming. Would having YTTV allow me to watch today's game?

So how are people going to watch the game next week against Florida? I’ll be in spectrum territory so I need to plan accordingly. Is YouTube TV a viable option? (Didn’t feel like sitting thru the thread to find answers)

ESPN needs to aim higher and join bud light

They tried. Nobody watches anything except actual sports on their platform anymore. The talking heads are race baiting to thin air. How many people use to get up and turn on sportscenter and now probably haven’t watched it in years?

VN Store

Back