Spectrum vs. Disney -- A Development Tracking Thread

Don’t blame Spectrum for refusing to pay the ransom, call Disney, the ones holding the hostage 😳
disney stock is dropping. ahsoka cost $15-25 mil per episode. their streaming platform is stagnant. hulu was a waste of money. they're going to consolidate the content soon.

spectrum isn't going to be held captive to their stagnation and greed.

Reactions: vols33
As an employee of one of the aforementioned companies, if Spectrum gives in to the exorbitant price hike Disney is asking for, you won’t have Spectrum anyway. The price hike for monthly fees will blow any other price hike you’ve ever seen, completely out of the water.
this started when disney fired its former ceo. they'd been relying on revenue from parks to drive shareholder eval.

spectrum has cash on hand. they're in acquisition mode. not sure how much of a more qualified authority i can find than sitting inside a building in stamford ct, when it was mentioned.

Spectrum has until Friday to get it together or the new fiber internet company in town and YTTV will earn my business. I'm paying Spectrum 110 bucks a month for "streaming tv" on my Samsung tvs.

I don't have a dog in the hunt of 2 giant corporations going after each other but it does appear to me that Disney has the upper hand. Folks will get their Disney channels somewhere thus they won't lose viewers but Spectrum could very well lose subs (subscribers). Folks will possibly drop Spectrum and move to Sling TV or another option. As a customer, we decide what services (channels) we want, then it's up to the cable company to provide them to us at a price we're willing to pay. If they don't then they'll lose our business.

I expect this to get settled by this weekend and for Disney to win. A few months later Spectrum will do what they've been doing: raise their prices.
hmm. my thought is this. Cable TV has a downward trajectory and has had for 7-8 years, in terms of viewership. With Rural Digital Opportunity Fund grants, cable companies are doubling their sizes.

Internet connections, required for streaming services, and Xfinity openly tracking subscribers data usage - and throttling those heavy subsribers, forcing them to use their streaming app. Data is cheaper for companies to propagate, and also doesnt require expensive licensing agreements, therefore has a much higher profit margin.

Charter already produces its own content, badly. However, experience as my guide. Whatever Comcast does, so does Charter...both as MVNO's for Verizon. They badly want to be a streaming platform. Look for them to expand in that area.

-Charter recognizes "the current video ecosystem is broken" and hopes to reach a collaborative agreement with Disney − "or we're moving on," the company said in a news release. (KNS)

Hard to imagine Spectrum gives a ****.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheVolsFrog
Spectrum has until Friday to get it together or the new fiber internet company in town and YTTV will earn my business. I'm paying Spectrum 110 bucks a month for "streaming tv" on my Samsung tvs.
I don’t think the Austin Pea game is on YouTube tv….

I don’t think the Austin Pea game is on YouTube tv….
There are two ways to watch the game. Both use the WatchESPN app/website. You can either subscribe to ESPN+ and login with the ID and password you make for it(no cable provider required). Or if you have SEC Network in your cable package(except with Charter), you can login with your user ID and Password from your TV provider(such as YouTube TV), and watch the SECN+ stream(no need for ESPN+ this way). Here is a screen shot of the listing from WatchESPN's upcoming programing. You'll notice there are 2 listings for the game. One on ESPN+ and another for SECN+. It's the same broadcast either way. The only difference is how you login.
Screenshot_20230906_230543_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
There are two ways to watch the game. Both use the WatchESPN app/website. You can either subscribe to ESPN+ and login with the ID and password you make for it(no cable provider required). Or if you have SEC Network in you cable package(except with Charter), you can login with your user ID and Password from your TV provider(such as YouTube TV), and watch the SECN+ stream(no need for ESPN+ this way). Here is a screen shot of the listing from WatchESPN's upcoming programing. You'll notice there are 2 listings for the game. One on ESPN+ and another for SECN+. It's the same broadcast either way. The only difference is how you login.
View attachment 576628
Thank you will try that

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Just be aware, you're trading the 'cable company' for the 'power company'. The grass isnt greener. Also, your information has been tracked to view streaming habits.

You'll find that with GPON&EPON networks, where IPTV is the only option (ATT being the only GPON capable of video across fiber), munis rely on???? You guessed it. Streaming platforms. With Spectrum having cash on hand and already owning production houses, and having licensing already in place. You're gonna be right back at square one. Paying them or someone like them for content.

Another thing I'm seeing happen is that telecom is an extremely expensive thing. Technology is changing literally so fast that companies can barely keep up. Say what you will about Comcast, Spectrum, Cox, and even Suddenlink. They've been cable companies for long time. Cable is a very cheap method of distribution, fiber even less so. Therefore they've been able to make hub, and headend upgrades for decades. They know how to analyze industry trends, dictating future changes.

Power companies relied on government grants to build out. Once that's gone, they run in the black. That isnt a sustainable business model. At some point they will have to sell out to? A holding company or to business daddy.

Anyway, just some information to consider. Consumers have a lot of options nowadays. And I agree about switching, for now. The ins and outs of 'switching' because one is red aced, over something we cannot control - is something to consider.

Last edited:
There are two ways to watch the game. Both use the WatchESPN app/website. You can either subscribe to ESPN+ and login with the ID and password you make for it(no cable provider required). Or if you have SEC Network in your cable package(except with Charter), you can login with your user ID and Password from your TV provider(such as YouTube TV), and watch the SECN+ stream(no need for ESPN+ this way). Here is a screen shot of the listing from WatchESPN's upcoming programing. You'll notice there are 2 listings for the game. One on ESPN+ and another for SECN+. It's the same broadcast either way. The only difference is how you login.
View attachment 576628
Hey thanks again I set it up and it looks like it’s going to work. Big help especially since I’m stuck in Texas with no prayer of seeing the game live

Reactions: JCHateSteve
As the companies kept jockeying, Deutsche Bank put out a research note to its clients predicting that Disney would “concede” some of its demands. “We believe a permanent end to Charter’s distribution of Disney’s channels would be a more negative outcome for Disney than for Charter in that it would accelerate Disney’s linear revenue decline and make future distribution renewals even more challenging and critical (shifting leverage to distributors), while leaving the vast majority of Charter’s broadband business intact,” analysts Bryan Kraft and Benjamin Soff wrote.

As the companies kept jockeying, Deutsche Bank put out a research note to its clients predicting that Disney would “concede” some of its demands. “We believe a permanent end to Charter’s distribution of Disney’s channels would be a more negative outcome for Disney than for Charter in that it would accelerate Disney’s linear revenue decline and make future distribution renewals even more challenging and critical (shifting leverage to distributors), while leaving the vast majority of Charter’s broadband business intact,” analysts Bryan Kraft and Benjamin Soff wrote.
Cable and satellite companies have reached the the point of not being able to raise prices, because of losing subscibers as a result.

Thinking about cancelling spectrum cable and switching to YouTube tv. Will keep their internet, working from home it’s really my only option here, but may pull the plug on their cable tomorrow.

Thinking about cancelling spectrum cable and switching to YouTube tv. Will keep their internet, working from home it’s really my only option here, but may pull the plug on their cable tomorrow.
I’m hearing that YouTube Tv has a nice feature that shows 4 games at once on your screen.

Reactions: GroverCleveland

VN Store

Back