Speaks Volumes!

Originally Posted by Domestic Silence:
The best part about Volnation is that you all argue with each other about things that aren't even true.

Tyndall met with those committed and advised them to look elsewhere.

Do we know that for sure?
Says who?
And why?

Not trying to be a smart butt, just really curious.

Bumping my question because it got buried in the Memphis and KY discussion...

Your completely missing the point, I am not arguing that Memphis gets the same talent that they once did, I simply stating that getting talented players under Cal was never a problem, it hasn't been a problem now under Pastner either. I also stated that Kentucky has never had a problem getting High School all Americans either under Cal or pervious coaches.

My point is simple, recruits get interested in a program because they build a relationship with the coaches that recruit them. It's the coaches job to sell them on the perks and merits of the University and his program at said University, not just himself and his staff.

It seems in the current situation at UT, that UT had a coach and his staff not selling the program but only the merits of playing for Martin. This is evidenced by the fact that none of Martin's four prior signees will even be open minded enough to listen to the new staff for potential re-recruitment to UT. UT has much to sell to these recruits, great University, great fans, 22k seat arena, great rivals, great big game atmosphere with national exposure, a chance to play against some top competition, and great facilities to live and work out.

Recruits commit to a coach, but they identify with the University when they commit, if you don't believe that just check their social media pages. It's the University and program they are touting not the coach.

But, I'm NOT surprised that someone on here would have trouble understanding my perspective.

No, I totally understand. The program and its assets help. But you are suggesting that the coach is not as important as we are suggesting. The coaches are the reasons recruits go to schools. I believe our 4 recruits will actually have opportunities at other schools that have similar programs as UT. The gap between facilities, fans, etc. won't be that great.

Bottom line is life is about relationships, and recruits are no different than the rest of us. They want to be comfortable with their coach for 4 important years of their life. The facilities and fans are just a bonus. Now, if you are talking about UT v. Tennessee Tech, that is one thing. But when you are talking about comparable D1 schools, the coach wins out.

I think both of us understand the other's point, but we just don't agree to the degree of the coach's importance. Calipari is no better example of kids going for the coach. Did it at Memphis, does it at UK. Calipari could coach at almost any top 50 D1 school and get almost the same results. Once he got rolling with #1 picks, many top players want to play for him, no matter where he is coaching. UK just happens to be the school that can compensate him the most.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
No, I totally understand. The program and its assets help. But you are suggesting that the coach is not as important as we are suggesting. The coaches are the reasons recruits go to schools. I believe our 4 recruits will actually have opportunities at other schools that have similar programs as UT. The gap between facilities, fans, etc. won't be that great.

Bottom line is life is about relationships, and recruits are no different than the rest of us. They want to be comfortable with their coach for 4 important years of their life. The facilities and fans are just a bonus. Now, if you are talking about UT v. Tennessee Tech, that is one thing. But when you are talking about comparable D1 schools, the coach wins out.

I think both of us understand the other's point, but we just don't agree to the degree of the coach's importance. Calipari is no better example of kids going for the coach. Did it at Memphis, does it at UK. Calipari could coach at almost any top 50 D1 school and get almost the same results. Once he got rolling with #1 picks, many top players want to play for him, no matter where he is coaching. UK just happens to be the school that can compensate him the most.

We will have to agree to disagree.

VN Store

Back