Space Exploration

Are NASA's future missions and budget justified?

• It's worth the time and expenditures

Votes: 213 66.1%
  • Complete waste of money

Votes: 40 12.4%
  • We need to explore, but not at the current cost

Votes: 69 21.4%

• Total voters
Why do I get the feeling someone is about to get fired?

Manual Command Likely Caused Israeli Moon Lander's Crash

Simple mistakes can have enormous consequences. You may remember NASA lost a Mars lander in 1999 because I believe one team was calculating thrust in pounds and another was using metric. When they fired the rocket to slow it down for entry into the Mars atmosphere the miscalculation kept it from slowing down enough.

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
This video supposedly shows a malfunction that happened yesterday during a SpaceX static fire test of the abort system on the crew Dragon capsule that flew to the ISS last month.

Man it’s so good to know that the government gave NASA billions to look for dark energy in the universe. I mean because that’s clearly a very important thing. Who needs billions of dollars anyway?

Such a big infrared telescope will mean we can look back in time billions of years to just a few hundred million years after the Big Bang. This will give us an insight into the formation of the Universe like never before. The (telescope) will also look at individual stars and even attempt to observe at exo-planets, specifically to try and see the composition of their atmospheres.

Bogus, baloney -- not possible, impossible. Well, it is big and seemingly uses infrared technology (but it will be completely unable to provide the Viewer a "look back in time" (except to fancy their own imaginations, until such time as they seek to construct an even bigger telescope)).

Man it’s so good to know that the government gave NASA billions to look for dark energy in the universe. I mean because that’s clearly a very important thing. Who needs billions of dollars anyway?

Yeah, because the potential to harness such a vast and seemingly unlimited supply of this energy would really not serve mankind at all.

JWST is certainly an example of Congress getting frustrated with NASA in over budget and behind schedule projects. I understand they have one shot at it, but danged if it isn't really isn't your stereotypical NASA project that's long on promise, but short on results (at the moment).

Such a big infrared telescope will mean we can look back in time billions of years to just a few hundred million years after the Big Bang. This will give us an insight into the formation of the Universe like never before. The (telescope) will also look at individual stars and even attempt to observe at exo-planets, specifically to try and see the composition of their atmospheres.

Bogus, baloney -- not possible, impossible. Well, it is big and seemingly uses infrared technology (but it will be completely unable to provide the Viewer a "look back in time" (except to fancy their own imaginations, until such time as they seek to construct an even bigger telescope)).

I almost didn't reply because well....surely you must be joking. You do know when we look through a telescope at a galaxy 1B light years away we're seeing it as it looked 1B years ago, not what it looks like now. You also might want to read a little on some of the advantages of infrared telescopes over optical (visible light).

There are many different kinds of telescopes designed to view the universe in different ways including UV, x-ray, gamma ray, microwave, radio and even gravitational wave detectors are considered a type of telescope.

Last edited:
Yeah, because the potential to harness such a vast and seemingly unlimited supply of this energy would really not serve mankind at all.

We know very little about it. We dont know really know what it is. We dont know if its even safe to harness. Is there any certainty that if it was safe, that we could even build anything th at had the capability to harness it?

Yet we know a ton about major problems that exist on our planet right now that billions of federal dollars each year could help. But hey, why care about whats going on now right?

Reactions: UT-Rex
We know very little about it. We dont know really know what it is. We dont know if its even safe to harness. Is there any certainty that if it was safe, that we could even build anything th at had the capability to harness it?

Yet we know a ton about major problems that exist on our planet right now that billions of federal dollars each year could help. But hey, why care about whats going on now right?

That's why it's called "research."

We do have a ton of problems on this planet that exist right now. One of which is the finite amount of resources we have available for power production. Another of which is pollution resulting from existing power plants. If such energy was able to be studied, harnessed and turned into an electrical capacity, we've solved the world's energy crisis.

Thank you, NASA.

Just think what the world would be like if man had never invested in the effort to understand electricity.

VN Store

Back