Space Exploration

Are NASA's future missions and budget justified?

• It's worth the time and expenditures

Votes: 214 66.3%
  • Complete waste of money

Votes: 40 12.4%
  • We need to explore, but not at the current cost

Votes: 69 21.4%

• Total voters
And now there is this.....

Both Democrats and both happen to be in the backyard of what major aerospace company that has been hit hard as of late with problems and likely donates big bucks to both of their campaigns? 🤔

"The FAA’s response to SpaceX’s launch license violation, including the lack of any penalties beyond the investigation, prompted criticism from two key members of Congress. In a March 25 letter to FAA Administrator Steve Dickson, Reps. Peter DeFazio (D-Ore.) and Rick Larsen (D-Wash.) sought to “register our concerns” with the incident. DeFazio is chair of the House Transportation Committee and Larsen the chair of its aviation subcommittee.

“Given the high-risk nature of the industry, we are disappointed that the FAA declined to conduct an independent review of the event and, to the best of our knowledge, has not pursued any form of enforcement action,” they wrote after summarizing the incident and investigation.

In the letter, DeFazio and Larsen called on the FAA to “resist any potential undue influence on launch safety decision-making” by taking “all the time and actions necessary” to evaluate proposed launches. They also urged the FAA to implement “a strict policy to deal with violations of FAA launch and reentry licenses” that includes civil penalties, and to evaluate its current approach to safety oversight and enforcement for commercial space activities.

“While the commercial space transportation sector is crucial to our Nation’s future, at no point should a commercial space launch jeopardize public safety,” they wrote."

The government needs to get the **** out of the way and let the private companies actually innovate without wasting our tax dollars

I've said it once and will again the launch platforms are to damn close to the tank farm!
It seems risky to me as well, especially given how tall the new tanks will be.
But I can see the usefulness of forcing those designing the Starship to build it knowing they effectively have to be able to thread a needle while landing. That should help in developing something with the ability to confidently land most anywhere.
I’m not saying that is why they are doing it, though. The simplest explanation is probably that is all the land they have for now and they have to make it work.

VN Store

Back