Southern comfort: SEC lifts booze ban at games

Franklin Pierce

The SEC voted during its spring meetings on Friday to lift a ban on selling alcoholic beverages in public areas at its athletic events.

The policy, which will limit individuals to purchasing one drink at a time, also comes with designated stop times such as the end of the third quarter during football games and the second-half 12-minute TV timeout during men's basketball games. Women's basketball alcohol sales will end following the completion of the third quarter, baseball at the top of the seventh inning and softball at the top of the fifth.

Southern comfort: SEC lifts booze ban at games

This is not good news for me. It's not like every drunk in Knoxville doesn't bring the crap in already. I just got one step closer to not ever going to another UT football game. Hopefully UT will keep the ban in place since Neyland is an on-campus facility.

The only thing.... A drunk, or nearly so person, in the upper deck (under the scoreboard) will have their life and those in the lower deck in their hands. It is a very intimidating (and rightly so) place for a sober person. I have seen this a time or two with a ban on strong drink before. Have actually seen fans stop a tumble by an overly soused fellow perched fan (like birds we are) in this area. I love sitting in this area, that is after I became use to the intimation factor, you can see everything.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
The only thing.... A drunk, or nearly so person, in the upper deck (under the scoreboard) will have their life and those in the lower deck in their hands. It is a very intimidating (and rightly so) place for a sober person. I have seen this a time or two with a ban on strong drink before. Have actually seen fans stop a tumble by an overly soused fellow perched fan (like birds we are) in this area. I love sitting in this area, that is after I became use to the intimation factor, you can see everything.

So have I, any uncovered area holds danger. Years ago I was hit on top of the shoulder by an empty (I think empty) plastic cup which someone above me threw. Lost range of motion and in pain for days!

The ushers need to strictly patrol, and that will be hard since, if alcohol is legal in the stadium, just the possession of it is not reason to eject. It comes down to a judgment call that the person is impaired. The attorneys will have fun with that one....Joe Doe sues UT for unlawfully ejecting and causing pain and humiliation to poor Joe; he wants a 10 million dollar payout but will be nice and settle for 1.5 million. UT estimates cost to defend at 2 million; pays out. Been there, seen that.

VN Store

Back