South Carolina Postgame Report

More I watched of that game yesterday the madder I got.
Really irks me that in year 5 we probably won't see post season.(NCAA)
Expected an off season with Barnes to be an early exit at this stage.
Nothing that can contribute on the bench is all on Barnes. Gambled on Uros. Gambled on Blackshear then didn't look at anyone else. Filled his class with projects except for James.
Personally i think he's losing it. You know they aren't playing like they practice. Who's that on?
Why is Bowden chucking 12 bricks? That's 12 not a couple. Why are we turning it over so much? Why aren't they sharing the ball? is Barnes still coaching or is he asleep at the wheel?
Sailing off into the sunset

Reactions: i2amavol
VQ said Bowden had an amazing practice this past week, was unstoppable and hitting everything...guess Barnes should’ve benched him.

More I watched of that game yesterday the madder I got.
Really irks me that in year 5 we probably won't see post season.(NCAA)
Expected an off season with Barnes to be an early exit at this stage.
Nothing that can contribute on the bench is all on Barnes. Gambled on Uros. Gambled on Blackshear then didn't look at anyone else. Filled his class with projects except for James.
Personally i think he's losing it. You know they aren't playing like they practice. Who's that on?
Why is Bowden chucking 12 bricks? That's 12 not a couple. Why are we turning it over so much? Why aren't they sharing the ball? is Barnes still coaching or is he asleep at the wheel?
Again, I understand your concerns, but your reaction is a bit manic. In my experience, things are never quite as good as they seem, and never quite as bad as they seem. Your concerns are legit, but the reaction is overplayed.

JMO.

Reactions: Lurker
13 scholarships, 3 and done, injuries, transfers (out), having to sit for a year after transferring in, 5 freshmen. A perfect storm.

Yet we are 10-5, and 2-1 in conference.

I am not so sure why that is so hard to comprehend.

What is hard for me to comprehend is how we beat an SEC opponent on their court, in the first time out, with 5 freshmen playing a major role.

2 so far. 40% and below 6. Combine that with more TOs than assists and you're flirting with disaster. Barnes' teams rebound the offensive glass, don't turn it over and play team ball which requires multiple assists. Don't know what that was yesterday but didn't look much like a Barnes coached team. Only thing that saved us was SC's FT shooting.
How does a guy with 33 years experience end up with a mess like you saw yesterday? Oh yeah. we had a dumpster fire 5 years ago.

You said basically they not going to win much shooting 25%......and they have only had two of those out of 15 games......the real truth is they are not going to shoot 25% much.....Tennessee winning those is a much higher % than them even shooting 25%.

So simply with that logic.....they “could” have a pretty good season.

Not saying they will.....but I certainly wouldn’t worry about all those games they are going to lose because they are shooting 25% or worse either.

There are lots of reasons Tennessee may lose games......but losses have and will come at a greater rate than them shooting 25%.

You were making it like “you can’t win shooting 25%”....truth is they can but they really won’t shoot 25% much at all. Tennessee is 1-1 while shooting 25%......and certainly had a chance to win the other one as well.

I don't get it. It was universally acknowledged after Bone and Grant made it official they were leaving early that we were gonna have a rebuilding year this year. And we were all assuming we would have a (finally) 100% healthy Turner as well as Uros. We have neither of those things, and we're still 10-5, 2-1 in the SEC, with, as somebody pointed out, no bad losses.

A realistic expectation should be a winning season (16-17 wins), a NIT bid and perhaps a deep run in that particular tournament to get the youngsters some tournament experience, and look forward to next year when we will be deep, loaded, and ready to make a real run. At a certain point, it's about Xs and Os, not Jimmys and Joes, and UT's roster, as constructed, is not talented enough to be competitive with the upper echelon of the SEC, such as it is. Should Barnes get criticism for whiffing on Blackshear and others that would help us this year? Yes. But he should also get credit for pulling in arguably the best recruiting class in UT history coming in next year. And I think it's fair to say that considering how bare the cupboard was when he got here, Barnes has exceeded expectations all four of his completed seasons coaching here. Let's wait and see how this plays out before we start hauling out the pitchforks.

Lmao...SeniorDrill hack you? Hold on while I go find your posts from 8-9 months ago.
8-9 months. don't think it was that long ago. Before Turner gave it up I was saying papaw would still get us to the dance.
don't know why this game affected me so much.
maybe it was the disappointment of Vescovi being a TO machine and bowden going 1 for 17 that finished me.
I'll watch something else and peek at the score on Wednesday. Maybe that'll help.

Reactions: i2amavol
8-9 months. don't think it was that long ago. Before Turner gave it up I was saying papaw would still get us to the dance.
don't know why this game affected me so much.
maybe it was the disappointment of Vescovi being a TO machine and bowden going 1 for 17 that finished me.
I'll watch something else and peek at the score on Wednesday. Maybe that'll help.

You do realize we won right?

You do realize we won right?
One of those wins that felt like a loss. Yeah I knew.
Some of this may be about paying too much attention to Barnes' pressers. last couple have given me the impression he's losing it. Out of touch. Semi functional.

You’re spoiled from the last 2 seasons where we got consistently good play from guys that are currently in the nba. Bowden’s going to find his shot again. He’s been a good shooter for 3 years. Unless he’s injured, its bound to turn around for him. Cheer up - the glass is half full!

Reactions: Dr H Lecter
My thing is, the SEC is so impossible to predict this season. This team is just like the conference as it’s so unpredictable too. It beat Mizzou on the road 69-59, and then that Mizzou team turned around and beat Florida by like 20. My point is that if this team keeps growing and getting better then it can navigate an SEC schedule and make the NCAA tournament this year.

Somehow it gets lost that basketball involves offense and defense. We played a great defensive game. Pons was outstanding in the second half and we never let Lawson get going.

Somehow it gets lost that basketball involves offense and defense. We played a great defensive game. Pons was outstanding in the second half and we never let Lawson get going.

You beat me to the punch. We try to separate offense from defense, but if you are truly giving your all on defense, offense often suffers (unless you are getting a lot of fast breaks, etc.) eventually. I think they had to up their defensive game, and they have. I believe this is affecting the offense right now.

Personally, I would rather win with defense and sloppy offense, than to lose with beautiful offense. Obviously, the goal is to be great at both, but we have walk before we can run. We have a lot of people in new roles. Let's be patient here.

Reactions: cardvolfan
You are contesting how he is viewed on this message board. In the 10 years I've been here I seen him called a liar and a cheat by those that hate him, and those same people think he's cheating to get the players that got him to a final 4. On the other side you have people who say he was done in by the NCAA and an admin that didn't support him and many coaches have done a lot worse and gotten no punishment. Now search the board and find me something else.
I've seen plenty of opinions that are similar to mine. He was great while he was hear. Did a lot for our program, BUT ran afoul in a manner in which we could never hire him back. There's always more than two sides. Maybe you don't recognize that fact

You comparin Barnes to Roy Williams. Williams earned his year off with Championships and F4s.
Barnes waits til he comes here to add a couple more losing seasons because he's in love with his projects.
You know we never even offered Juiston. we took Pember instead.
Hey I hope they win 18 regular season. Wanna bet?
Williams should have championships and FFs. He's only been a head coach at two bluebloods where he didn't have to build the program. Barnes is every bit the coach Roy Williams has been. We get you don't like Barnes, but at least post something that is marginally informed and can support your points. Otherwise, your cred as an informed fan will continue to wane with each and every silly post you make

VN Store

Back