Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Exactly. I was burned last time, honestly thought we'd woop Auburn a couple years ago for revenge from the spanking they gave us in the regular season. But...we just let them woop us again so they ended up running out regular season title and our tourney title. It was absurd. But Auburn was a much better team than this A&M team is. This should be as close as a lay up you can possibly get in a tourney final game. But yet I am holding my breath 🤣

I'm not sure why you think this. Some teams go on tremendous runs out of the blue. The Aggies are playing some ball. Respect the opponent but expect to win.

Maybe embarrassing is extreme. It's not like they're UGA. Lol but they are a 10 seed for a reason. Would be a major choke job.

AcclaimedBestBarb-small.gif

I stated before that Barnes reminded me of Fulmer post MNC. He has diverged from that path by changing his style to match the game. He is allowing his freshmen to make mistakes without yanking them or yelling at them, and it is paying off. The kids are peaking at just the right time. His praise of players and his team is not his old style either, but it is working.

I’d equate this to IF Fulmer had realized the game was changing and actually fired Sanders early and gotten a decent staff on board. Fulmer didn’t, and he ultimately failed.

Barnes looks to be smarter than that. He is changing, and really seems to be fully engaged again. I think he is hungry for another shot at the ring in a way Fulmer never was.

So, in summation, Barnes has surprised me in a very positive and awesome way. I hope it continues because he is a very good coach and a very decent man, and with the talent he has on this team he could very well make another FF, and if luck falls our way, there is no reason we can’t win it all.

Not eating crow, exactly, because I do think Barnes has changed. But I definitely want to give credit and rejoice in this newfound fire and drive of Barnes and the team.

Go Vols!!!!

I stated before that Barnes reminded me of Fulmer post MNC. He has diverged from that path by changing his style to match the game. He is allowing his freshmen to make mistakes without yanking them or yelling at them, and it is paying off. The kids are peaking at just the right time. His praise of players and his team is not his old style either, but it is working.

I’d equate this to IF Fulmer had realized the game was changing and actually fired Sanders early and gotten a decent staff on board. Fulmer didn’t, and he ultimately failed.

Barnes looks to be smarter than that. He is changing, and really seems to be fully engaged again. I think he is hungry for another shot at the ring in a way Fulmer never was.

So, in summation, Barnes has surprised me in a very positive and awesome way. I hope it continues because he is a very good coach and a very decent man, and with the talent he has on this team he could very well make another FF, and if luck falls our way, there is no reason we can’t win it all.

Not eating crow, exactly, because I do think Barnes has changed. But I definitely want to give credit and rejoice in this newfound fire and drive of Barnes and the team.

Go Vols!!!!

Fulmer’s recruiting turned crappy. Barnes has been elevating his recruiting continuously from the time he walked onto campus. Oh, wait. I forgot that Kim English is why TN has signed a great roster.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Fulmer’s recruiting turned crappy. Barnes has been elevating his recruiting continuously from the time he walked onto campus. Oh, wait. I forgot that Kim English is why TN has signed a great roster.

I was (and still am a little) concerned about recruiting long term, but with Barnes adjusting to the new NIL reality and the one and done type of kid, if he can make a decent run in the tourney he should be fine. He is clearly a good developer of talent in the classic 4 year model, the question has been how does he translate that on the one and done world. This season he is showing an ability to pivot. I’m a lot more hopeful about him medium to long term than I was even a few months ago.

Now.....let’s win the SEC tourney for the first time sine 1979!!

I was (and still am a little) concerned about recruiting long term, but with Barnes adjusting to the new NIL reality and the one and done type of kid, if he can make a decent run in the tourney he should be fine. He is clearly a good developer of talent in the classic 4 year model, the question has been how does he translate that on the one and done world. This season he is showing an ability to pivot. I’m a lot more hopeful about him medium to long term than I was even a few months ago.

Now.....let’s win the SEC tourney for the first time sine 1979!!

Or look at it like recruits have an opportunity to play for a Hall of Fame coach BEFORE he hangs up his whistle. The majority of the Final Four teams haven’t been getting coached by the young guys either. And Barnes AND the players have been giving high praise to the TN fans at EVERY opportunity. Barnes is still building the program. It won’t disappear when he retires. Previous head coaches were focused on building their careers and left steaming piles of poo when they sauntered off to other places.

Dude you have to look at A&M as a whole. They stink. Simple as that. Embarrassing or not, it would be a major choke job.
Are you talking about the team that just beat Auburn and Arkansas in back to back games? That’s the team that stinks? Just want to be sure you aren’t talking about a different A&M like Texas A&M University–San Antonio or something.

Dude you have to look at A&M as a whole. They stink. Simple as that. Embarrassing or not, it would be a major choke job.
You’re out of your mind. They scored 80 on us AT TBA and they’ve just beaten two of the best 16 teams in the country back to back nights. It would be devastating at best to miss out on another opportunity to bust this 43yo curse to pieces but embarrassing and choking? Not even close

VN Store

Back