Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

It’s time for a new HC; RB recruits, there have been a few good players, but he never really goes deep into his bench for point getters. Most if he’s recruits are projects.

Water seeks its own level, RB WILL NEVER GET THE VOLS A FINAL 4 OR A CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

I get it that here at TN, I get it matters how we play the game! We strive for excellence of integrity in all areas for. a HC, but you can do that and win TOO.

It’s time to flush RB, we can have a HC / leader with integrity as well and have him be a winner. A winner without a post season glass ceiling like RB has.

RB WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN UPGRADE TO Cuonzo Martin; he’s has not been that, but both are men of integrity on and off the court.

It’s time to stop retreading all these HC RUN OUT OF TOWN, from other programs, HCs bring in some a young, talented, bright head coach with the same qualities like Josh Heupel has just in basketball arena. A HC that thinks outside the box and places a premium on the next man up scenario for all positions on the court, you perform at a higher level making quality shots with good teamwork, or you set the bench.

Just saying!!!

Rick Barnes isn’t an upgrade over Cuonzo Martin? Was that actually put in writing? My goodness.

1 NCAAT in 5 years?

He could be awesome, or he could be the next Shaka Smart.

I swear I want an AI to go through and show all the genius kneejerk reactions of people wanting to hire the coach that just had a good tourney form a mid-major and see how many of those actually went on to succeed at a higher school and how many never came close to repeating what they did.

Barnes did not bring our program from the grave. Pearl is the one that packed the arena and brought relevance in the 21st century to TN basketball. Yes, Barnes has done some good things, but it is time to move on. Who cares what you do in the regular season if you continue to fail in the tournament year in and head out. The ONLY time he’s ever been to the final 4 is when he had Kevin Durant. And he’s been coaching forever. 18-2 run with no timeouts is inexcusable no matter what the situation is

It was awesome when Barnes AND Kevin Durant went to that Final Four.

LMAO at the ignorance.

Reactions: berryvol
Yesterday's broadcast of the Sports Source Show with John Pennington covered the FAU loss and had some very interesting conversation on the basketball program and Barnes over on their You Tube page if anybody is interested in watching.

Yesterday's broadcast of the Sports Source Show with John Pennington covered the FAU loss and had some very interesting conversation on the basketball program and Barnes over on their You Tube page if anybody is interested in watching.

I haven’t watched yet. Here’s segment 1.

Barnes is doing exactly what he is getting paid to do. Get to the tourney and make a run. We are not Kentucky 8 titles, UCLA 12 titles, Duke 4-5 titles, UNC 4-5 titles, Arizona, UCONN ,Kansas 2-3 titles, Villanova, Indiana, you get the point. I don’t expect to win tourney. We’re a football first university always will be and I’m cool with that. My advice is pick a blue blood of college basketball and pull for them. That’s what I do. Pouring my heart into football I’m all in , basketball not so much.
We should have known what to expect from Barnes when we hired him because he is doing exactly what Texas fired him for so why expect something different? Barnes contract should call for him having to wear a shock collar after the regular season ends and zap him if he attempts to go near the team until fall practice starts. If you want better results let the football coach handle the team during tournament season.

Reactions: Grey_pilgrim
By the end of the Season 90% of CRBs teams are worn out. This is the problem and has been for years. Defense takes the living hell out of you and when that happens it wears on you at both ends of the court.

This year we were worn out before we got to the NCAA as we are every year. It shows every year at Tournament time and without an offense that facilitates for a little less energy that is effective this is going to be a wash rinse cycle.

The emphasis on Defense is killing the Offense and energy levels of this team come season end.

Most can agree the offense sucks and needs to change.

Reactions: Big time vol
He could be awesome, or he could be the next Shaka Smart.

I swear I want an AI to go through and show all the genius kneejerk reactions of people wanting to hire the coach that just had a good tourney form a mid-major and see how many of those actually went on to succeed at a higher school and how many never came close to repeating what they did.

Shaka has won every where he went..... 70% win percentage at VCU / Marquette.... Texas I will admit was a weird fit..... But Shaka is likely going to get another big job sooner than later.

By the end of the Season 90% of CRBs teams are worn out. This is the problem and has been for years. Defense takes the living hell out of you and when that happens it wears on you at both ends of the court.

This year we were worn out before we got to the NCAA as we are every year. It shows every year at Tournament time and without an offense that facilitates for a little less energy that is effective this is going to be a wash rinse cycle.

The emphasis on Defense is killing the Offense and energy levels of this team come season end.

Most can agree the offense sucks and needs to change.
The worn out take is so bad…so they were worn out but could win 2 games in 3 days, then take 5 days off and were too worn out win?

I understand the disappointment in our loss but there are 64 teams in the same position we are in. Not ot mention every 1 seed is out and we have a Finals with a 4, two 5s and a 9 seed. A lot of programs frustrated right now. Losing ZZ certainly hurt but we managed to win a couple of games regardless. Barnes is a great coach and we could do A LOT worse.

I trust Danny White has the patience and knowledge to make the correct decision for the program. Roster is solid, we just need some consistent scorers to step up/sign and this could be an elite team next year. Chin up NegaVols, it will be okay.

As long as Barnes continues to get the players to buy in, UT is going to be just fine. It doesn’t matter if the fans buy in or not. When ZZ makes the comment, we will be playing in the national title game before his injury, the captain of the team, I’m pretty sure the players still have faith in Barnes and his system.

The worn out take is so bad…so they were worn out but could win 2 games in 3 days, then take 5 days off and were too worn out win?

Say what you will as you are very argumentative with those who don't see it your way.

It's not just this year, it is every year. If you think that this team this year, played with the energy intensity they had from Oct - Jan, then you need your eyes check.
Barnes teams are worn down at season's end which I believe causes the production on Offense to drop off.

It show in the Back half of the season of which they could not close out games with leads in the last 8 - 4 minutes. Wear and tear.

Look at how we closed out games or failed to do so at the end of the season.
We have had top 5 defenses the past 3 years (2021 - 5th) (2022 - 3rd) (2023 -1st) but wear and tear. Our Offense went blank at the end of games with several games the leads some big were blown.

Fresher legs at season end will produce better results unless you have the right combination of players 2019 - 122.7 (3rd) Offense and 96.5 (42nd) Defense = 31-6
The 2019 team was exceptional - Strong like Bull and it was hard to wear that team down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flovol
Not totally sure my math is correct, but I think more coaches don’t make the final 4 each year than those who do
yea it was a tongue in cheek comment. this tournament has proved that literally anyone can make a final 4 with the exception of rick barnes.

time to move on from that dinosaur

Say what you will as you are very argumentative with those who don't see it your way.

It's not just this year, it is every year. If you think that this team this year, played with the energy intensity they had from Oct - Jan, then you need your eyes check.
Barnes teams are worn down at season's end which I believe causes the production on Offense to drop off.

It show in the Back half of the season of which they could not close out games with leads in the last 8 - 4 minutes. Wear and tear.

Look at how we closed out games or failed to do so at the end of the season.
We have had top 5 defenses the past 3 years (2021 - 5th) (2022 - 3rd) (2023 -1st) but wear and tear. Our Offense went blank at the end of games with several games the leads some big were blown.

Fresher legs at season end will produce better results unless you have the right combination of players 2019 - 122.7 (3rd) Offense and 96.5 (42nd) Defense = 31-6
The 2019 team was exceptional - Strong like Bull and it was hard to wear that team down.
Last year we closed the season as strong as we possibly could, showing no signs of being worn down, including winning the SECT, and yet we still didn’t make a run in the NCAAT.

yea it was a tongue in cheek comment. this tournament has proved that literally anyone can make a final 4 with the exception of rick barnes.

time to move on from that dinosaur
Good luck with that. Won’t happen until he decides to retire. What this tournament has proven is that the portal has brought more parity. Players move all over the place on a whim and teams like FAU and K State can get a rent-a-team. Miami can get a Nigel Pack and Memphis can get a Kendrick Davis through NIL. The one thing I can fault Barnes for is not having a back up point guard and getting a competent one from the portal. Whatever he saw in Tyreke Key was just wrong. Maybe another shooter. But other than that, he ain’t getting fired for getting a team in the tournament every year and competing for conference championships every year. Dream on.

A lot of the defensive stats are going to be the result of playing great defense. When your opponent can’t get a shot off for 25 seconds that is going to limit the number of possessions for your offense as well.

Poor shooting stats are skewed because opponents are able to more easily get back on defense and limit easy fast break looks. Bad shooting nights are magnified.

In a lot of early games, the assist to made shot ratio was really high. All SEC coaches are really good so by the time the second half of the SEC schedule rolls around they have a lot of TN video to study and a lot of time to prepare their players. So the second half has a lot of regression to the mean. Also this year the schedule got much more difficult down the stretch run and injuries were staking up.

Barnes isn’t as stubborn as the narrative suggests. If he has the pieces he’ll ramp up the offense. A couple of years ago TN took a lot of long 2-pointers. That ratio has been flipped. He also recruited to the freedom of movement that the NCAA was pushing. When that turned out to never materialize, he took advantage of the rough play that refs were allowing by t hugging up TN’s defense. I think that those adjustments are why CRB rarely has a losing season.

I think that being defensive oriented this year was more likely to get a lot of wins. Instead of falling apart with no post season eligibility, TN made the Sweet 16 and not finishing under 0.500 like many would have.

VN Store

Back