Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

What is the “negative info”? That he got into a domestic argument that has not resulted in anything more than verified verbal dispute and nothing physical?

Oh the drama of someone who screams in a dispute!
Huh? Did you ignore the police report? Bite marks, bruising, and markings around her neck indicating being chocked, and her verbally telling police she was choked? Guess we will just ignore all that lol.

Agree for the most part, but I don’t think he’s going anywhere until he wants to. Having said that, if I’m DW, there is a buyout to consider but I wouldn’t feel the need to consider a contract extension beyond one year just prior to the end of the current contract and certainly not any large pay raises. Basically, force Barnes to make the decision.
That' sounds like something Doug Dickey would do, and we see how he did with our basketball program.

Acquittal is Innocent….. you are only guilty if proven so.

And it’s fine if Scott Drew says no…. Him saying no is literally no harm or risk to Tennessee. It’s simple, you offer 5-6 million to him and make him say no or make him force Baylor to up his contract…..

There is literally zero downside for us if we went after a coach with bonafides with an offer at our current coaching pay and them say no.

And in regards to Beard, he will be coaching at a weak or small school next season. 2-3 years left with Barnes means Beard would have 2-3 seasons to rehab his career. It’s simple
There was no trial so no acquittal. The charges were dropped, seemingly because his lady wouldn't testify.
Physical evidence says he battered her. We don't need a wife beater for a coach.

I think we dangle 6-8 million out there if by some chance CRB decides to call it a career. We want be chasing coaches. They will be chasing us. We just have to make the right decision. Everything is in place to win and win big.

I think we dangle 6-8 million out there if by some chance CRB decides to call it a career. We want be chasing coaches. They will be chasing us. We just have to make the right decision. Everything is in place to win and win big.
Very few established P5 coaches are willing to move, it’s not unheard of but not common. Buzz is a guy who’s name floated around a lot, but he hadn’t done much until this year at A&M, Underwood at Illinois is another but his NCAAT resume would remind many folks of Barnes, except worse as far as underachieving goes. Realistically you likely are hiring a MM type of guy, that’s just how things typically go…look at recent SEC hires, even willing to throw around money most of them end up with MM.

I bet Barnes would apply for 6 million a year,

Weird, nobody has answered this.

What does it matter? We will be replacing Barnes within the next 5 years at the very most. The best situation would be Barnes and White working together to identify and hire his replacement and Barnes' amicable departure.

What does it matter? We will be replacing Barnes within the next 5 years at the very most. The best situation would be Barnes and White working together to identify and hire his replacement and Barnes' amicable departure.
What does that have to do with my post? My point was that so many posters wanna talk about how easy it is to move on and find someone better, first off there’s no sure thing in hiring coaches ever, but second what “sure things” are even available? So I posted what Barnes has done here and challenged folks who think it’s so easy to find an equal or better to list those who are equal or better, so far it’s been crickets.

My issue is that Barnes hasn't done anything to deserve being "Fired". We are not a top 10 team but we are still a lock for the tournament. Coming into the season we were ranked around 13. We upset Kansas and everyone thought we were a top 5 team. We are NOT and it is clear.

We are probably an 18-25 type team and at best a Sweet 16 team.

We have unrealistic expectations and that has been driven by Barnes. It isn't like we are Kentucky where we are a preseason top 5 team and we are sitting out of the tournament right now on the bubble.

Speaking of “I haven’t seen”, you are the only person I see that keeps using the phrase blackballed, yet you’re trying to say other posters are the ones saying it?

Im paraphrasing. Multiple posters have said that firing Barnes might backfire and make coaches leery of coming here. Don’t play dumb. Be better.

To me, what Tennessee has done this year is the equivalent of our Miss State Football in 2014 where they reached #1 and were undefeated but ended up 10-3 with an ugly bowl loss to Georgia Tech. We are about like Miss State from a program comparison in Basketball and it would be like equivalent of Miss State firing Urban Meyer after that 10-3 season.

Sure we beat Kansas, Texas, and Alabama but we are NOT a top 10 team. It is clear if you look at our team and the positions.

What does that have to do with my post? My point was that so many posters wanna talk about how easy it is to move on and find someone better, first off there’s no sure thing in hiring coaches ever, but second what “sure things” are even available? So I posted what Barnes has done here and challenged folks who think it’s so easy to find an equal or better to list those who are equal or better, so far it’s been crickets.

It's never been easy to find a "sure thing" there is no such thing as a "sure thing". Your question is really irrelevant because we will be replacing Barnes and it will be sooner rather than later so the conversation needs to be how do we do that and keep the program moving forward. How do we get the closest coach to a "sure thing" as we can? Barnes can't stay here forever and the program can't be expected to keep him as coach for however long he wants to coach.

Im paraphrasing. Multiple posters have said that firing Barnes might backfire and make coaches leery of coming here. Don’t play dumb. Be better.
Just thought it was funny that I was paraphrasing folks and you didn’t like it when you are doing the exact same thing to other posters.

It's never been easy to find a "sure thing" there is no such thing as a "sure thing". Your question is really irrelevant because we will be replacing Barnes and it will be sooner rather than later so the conversation needs to be how do we do that and keep the program moving forward. How do we get the closest coach to a "sure thing" as we can? Barnes can't stay here forever and the program can't be expected to keep him as coach for however long he wants to coach.
I say when Barnes decides to quit that we just close down the basketball program for good. Tear down TBA and put in pickleball courts...We have been told UT won't do better so let's shut it down. Use the money in the basketball budget for football NIL.

What is the “negative info”? That he got into a domestic argument that has not resulted in anything more than verified verbal dispute and nothing physical?

Oh the drama of someone who screams in a dispute!

Nothing physical? The fiancee bit and cut herself? Nobody's going to hire as a public face of a major university a man with a police report like that.

Reactions: EasternVol
To me, what Tennessee has done this year is the equivalent of our Miss State Football in 2014 where they reached #1 and were undefeated but ended up 10-3 with an ugly bowl loss to Georgia Tech. We are about like Miss State from a program comparison in Basketball and it would be like equivalent of Miss State firing Urban Meyer after that 10-3 season.

Sure we beat Kansas, Texas, and Alabama but we are NOT a top 10 team. It is clear if you look at our team and the positions.
So it's clear to you, eh? Well, now we know all we need to know.

Attachments

• EVERCLEAR-GRAIN-ALCOHOL.jpg
    EVERCLEAR-GRAIN-ALCOHOL.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 0
There was no trial so no acquittal. The charges were dropped, seemingly because his lady wouldn't testify.
Physical evidence says he battered her. We don't need a wife beater for a coach.

Literal eye witness testimony refutes that.....

Nothing physical? The fiancee bit and cut herself? Nobody's going to hire as a public face of a major university a man with a police report like that.

You're right. That's why Beard is going to be an assistant or head coach at some mid major to rehab his career..... 2-3 years out of trouble, he will be a hot commodity..... Barnes is here for atleast 2-3 more years. This is simple

You're right. That's why Beard is going to be an assistant or head coach at some mid major to rehab his career..... 2-3 years out of trouble, he will be a hot commodity..... Barnes is here for atleast 2-3 more years. This is simple

Hiring Beard would be embarrassing for the program.

We all know he abuses women for his own selfish gain.

The evidence is there

I took a couple of hires to get Barnes when Pearl left but the financial commitment has grown significantly. Your right there is no sure thing but making a good decision should be easier to do.

Reactions: hog88

VN Store

Back