Son’s 1st UT basketball game

Russdaddy2027

Vols refugee living under duress in Georgia
Bringing my 9yr old up for his 1st game Saturday vs. Bama. Anything going on pregame we need to check out? Tips for parking? Pretty sure our seats aren’t that great but he will enjoy it either way... section 325A?.?.?.

That section is upper level corner I believe. Not sure if anything is going on around campus Saturday but get there early and have fun. You should be able to park in front of neyland. Down load the hoops hype app on your phone, it's a pretty neat light show type thing that happens during the starting lineup intro.

Reactions: Russdaddy2027
There is a free parking lot off of Joe Johnson Drive, where the Brehm Animal Science Building is located. From that parking lot, you can take the bus for free to the Thompson-Boling Arena. My dad and I went to the Tennessee Tech game this year. We had seats that were close to the very top, but we still could see everything perfectly, and we had a great time. Your 9 year-old will love it.

If you aren't in a hurry afterwards, go sit behind the UT bench and watch the post game radio show. If you're lucky you could get a signed hat or his pic made with a player mingling in the crowd. A good spot would be near the tunnel to the locker room or at the bottom of the steps at section 105.

If you do that AND ride the AG Campus bus, find out when the last one runs. It might be for an hour after the final buzzer. The radio show probably goes until about 45 minutes after. Barnes does 2 segments starting about 15 minutes after the game ends and then the player of the game will be interviewed.

A good spot to get a pic with Barnes is at the tunnel in the opposite corner. He goes through there for his press conference after his radio show and will usually stop and take pics with kids.

If you miss the bus, it's about a 10-15 block walk. Volunteer Blvd (a block north of the TBA), past the 90 degree RH curve in VB and then a left and a short walk across the bridge into the AG Campus (about 3 blocks). Download the campus map at UT's website.

If you aren't in a hurry afterwards, go sit behind the UT bench and watch the post game radio show. If you're lucky you could get a signed hat or his pic made with a player mingling in the crowd. A good spot would be near the tunnel to the locker room or at the bottom of the steps at section 105.

If you do that AND ride the AG Campus bus, find out when the last one runs. It might be for an hour after the final buzzer. The radio show probably goes until about 45 minutes after. Barnes does 2 segments starting about 15 minutes after the game ends and then the player of the game will be interviewed.

A good spot to get a pic with Barnes is at the tunnel in the opposite corner. He goes through there for his press conference after his radio show and will usually stop and take pics with kids.

If you miss the bus, it's about a 10-15 block walk. Volunteer Blvd (a block north of the TBA), past the 90 degree RH curve in VB and then a left and a short walk across the bridge into the AG Campus (about 3 blocks). Download the campus map at UT's website.
Perfect info, i was about to post the same. And I'll throw in a personal game day recommendation.. Depending on the time you have, i highly recommend Sweet Ps Downtown Dive for some good local BBQ. Very cool local spot, funky atmosphere, and amazing food.

Perfect info, i was about to post the same. And I'll throw in a personal game day recommendation.. Depending on the time you have, i highly recommend Sweet Ps Downtown Dive for some good local BBQ. Very cool local spot, funky atmosphere, and amazing food.
....and if your son is like most kids and loves pizza, Tomato Head has the best pizza in town, imo. Sweet P's may have the best BBQ in town, also and both are on Market Square

....and if your son is like most kids and loves pizza, Tomato Head has the best pizza in town, imo. Sweet P's may have the best BBQ in town, also and both are on Market Square
I would donate a lot of money to have a Tomato Head in West TN.
I'm going to have to try this Sweet P's next time I'm in Knoxville, it has been recommended in several threads. I'll be a harsh critic though, us flatlanders over here are spoiled with the best BBQ in the South.

Reactions: Vol49er and The Dog
I would donate a lot of money to have a Tomato Head in West TN.
I'm going to have to try this Sweet P's next time I'm in Knoxville, it has been recommended in several threads. I'll be a harsh critic though, us flatlanders over here are spoiled with the best BBQ in the South.
Check out Sweet Ps website, there's 2.. One near the airport and the Downtown Dive. Downtown Dive is the newest and it is my favorite. Sweet Ps was featured on Man Vs Food, im sure you can find this online somewhere. What i like is Sweet Ps is a mix between Memphis style BBQ and Carolina, as well as part of the menu mixes both with a Tex-Mex infusion. They make a couple of their own homemade BBQ sauces, the hot is fantastic. Smoked wings with, or without sauce is my favorite, either way. A must try for dessert is either their banana pudding or bacon chocolate chip cookie. This place is a must try.

Check out Sweet Ps website, there's 2.. One near the airport and the Downtown Dive. Downtown Dive is the newest and it is my favorite. Sweet Ps was featured on Man Vs Food, im sure you can find this online somewhere. What i like is Sweet Ps is a mix between Memphis style BBQ and Carolina, as well as part of the menu mixes both with a Tex-Mex infusion. They make a couple of their own homemade BBQ sauces, the hot is fantastic. Smoked wings with, or without sauce is my favorite, either way. A must try for dessert is either their banana pudding or bacon chocolate chip cookie. This place is a must try.
Downtown Dive sounds more like my kind of place. I'll be sure to check it out next time I'm in town for a game, I am intrigued by this bacon chocolate chip cookie.

Reactions: The Dog
Downtown Dive sounds more like my kind of place. I'll be sure to check it out next time I'm in town for a game, I am intrigued by this bacon chocolate chip cookie.
Its cool,funky, eclectic seating area, lots of local pics, especially from the 1982 world fair. Very cool stuff on the walls and pics. Plenty of TVs for sports too.

BTW, the post game routine is always:

Floor is cleared of participants.

Cheerleaders and spirit squad lock arms in front of the student section for the TN Waltz played by the band.

PA announcer reads the scoring for each team.

The radio show with just Bob and Bert is put on the PA system about 5 minutes into their program.

A segment or two and then Barnes comes out and sits in a chair across the table from B&B, does 2 segments, signs stuff during commercials, and then rags on Bob about something inappropriate like his Speedo.

Barnes wraps up, walks off across the court.

The player takes the seat and is interviewed.

Great info everyone! Thank you all so much! He is very excited and counting down days till Saturday. I personally am waiting on the return of that feeling of beating Bama in something again

I don't know why, but the Sweet P's in S. Knox is better IMO. I have eaten at both several times, and I've had consistently better results there. Also, Full Service is the best BBQ in Knox IMO. But you're pretty much splitting hairs at that point.

Most definitely, this. And get the ribs.

I don't know why, but the Sweet P's in S. Knox is better IMO. I have eaten at both several times, and I've had consistently better results there. Also, Full Service is the best BBQ in Knox IMO. But you're pretty much splitting hairs at that point.
I prefer the Downtown Sweet Ps more than the S. Knox location, myself.

Never tried Full Service or Archers. I like Deadend BBQ’s mac and cheese with the pimentos in it, but their ribs were a little tough. Nothing like Sweet Ps, which just fall right off the bone. Sweet Ps has really good mac and cheese, too.

I prefer the Downtown Sweet Ps more than the S. Knox location, myself.

Never tried Full Service or Archers. I like Deadend BBQ’s mac and cheese with the pimentos in it, but their ribs were a little tough. Nothing like Sweet Ps, which just fall right off the bone. Sweet Ps has really good mac and cheese, too.
Archers is about the same as Buddy's, imo but more expensive. Dead end was a letdown, but I caught then after lunch and before dinner, around 3 on a Friday. My pulled pork was heat lamped and dry, the brisket was nothing special, too. Sweet P's kill all those, imo

Definitely hang around after the game if you have time to meet some of the players. Get down in the corner where they go to their locker room. You can start working your way down their with a minute or so left in the game if it isnt close. We did this after the TN Tech game and my two boys loved it. We had to wait about 30 mins but got selfies with Grant, Bowden and Kyle and had them sign a bball. Have your phone ready to give to the players to take the selfie. Its way cooler than just getting a picture of them and they are happy to do it.

Attachments

• 20181229_153641.jpg
    20181229_153641.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 14
  • 20181229_154743.jpg
    20181229_154743.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 14
Definitely hang around after the game if you have time to meet some of the players. Get down in the corner where they go to their locker room. You can start working your way down their with a minute or so left in the game if it isnt close. We did this after the TN Tech game and my two boys loved it. We had to wait about 30 mins but got selfies with Grant, Bowden and Kyle and had them sign a bball. Have your phone ready to give to the players to take the selfie. Its way cooler than just getting a picture of them and they are happy to do it.
Sweet!

VN Store

Back