Some of the Baseball Regulars Help me out on an Ump question

PandamoniumReigns

Bob Needs To Retire
First....this is no way asserting the umps caused TN any losses this year.

Is there any trackable stats for Umps on their calls? Such as what the batting average is per game each Ump calls? Or the percentage of strikes vs balls called by each Ump.

I figured it's be interesting to see which ump has the highest batting average when they call a game versus who has the lowest when they call. Or which ump has the highest percentage of strikes called versus which ump has the lowest. EX: when Ump A calls a game, teams are batting at a .350 clip vs when Ump B calls games, teams bat and average of .275.

I've done some digging and didn't really come up with anything.. I know there was a guy who tracked basketball whistles per ref, I think strictly for TN games and it was eye opening.

Is there any trackable stats for Umps on their calls? Such as what the batting average is per game each Ump calls? Or the percentage of strikes vs balls called by each Ump.

I figured it's be interesting to see which ump has the highest batting average when they call a game versus who has the lowest when they call. Or which ump has the highest percentage of strikes called versus which ump has the lowest. EX: when Ump A calls a game, teams are batting at a .350 clip vs when Ump B calls games, teams bat and average of .275.

I've done some digging and didn't really come up with anything.. I know there was a guy who tracked basketball whistles per ref, I think strictly for TN games and it was eye opening.

Respectfully, pitching and umps ain’t why we lost today.

Respectfully, pitching and umps ain’t why we lost today.

I fully agree. That's why I stated my opening statement. I was simply just reflecting on the season and this thought crossed my mind and I started doing some digging and came up empt. I AM NOT ASSERTING THE UMPS CAUSED TN TO LOSE. there are other threads if someone wants to discuss that

I am just curious if that is something that anyone or any site has tracked. Would be a interstate thing to track.

I fully agree. That's why I stated my opening statement. I was simply just reflecting on the season and this thought crossed my mind and I started doing some digging and came up empt. I AM NOT ASSERTING THE UMPS CAUSED TN TO LOSE. there are other threads if someone wants to discuss that

I am just curious if that is something that anyone or any site has tracked. Would be a interstate thing to track.

If yer asking if Ump’s calls are tracked, I don’t know of it, I ain’t saying it doesn’t exist, but iffin it does I don’t know about it.

Major league umps calls are tracked. I don't know exactly where you can look them up but I know they exist because stats were used by MLB for even them to tell Angel Hernandez he sucked.

But I'm not sure about college umps. I would guess probably someone somewhere does but good luck getting them. I mean it's 2022 and sites like ESPN.com still can't get consistent score updates right.

Could probably track each Ump that called TN games. Just get TNs stats each game and their opponents and which ump it was. May be a nice little project for me to work on this summer.

I'll go out on a limb and say these teams have a person that's tracking that information. You can bet if ump A is behind the plate the coaches know his tendencies.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
a word about the catchers moving the mitt after catching the ball. A simple thank you to the catcher from the ump for allowing the catcher to help call the close ones. The ump tells the catcher that if he sees him move his mitt into the strike zone, he will know where the ball was and call it the way the catcher saw it! Problem solved!

The big guy (ump) who was behind the plate sun. was the guy who threw out coach Anderson when Gilbert let go with the F Bomb. I think every situation where there was a decision for him went to Notre Dame.Such as the batter getting in the strike zone to take a pitch on the arm,he was awarded 1st base.Friday Gilbert had the same thing,he was hit by a pitch and the ump made it a strike and put him back at the plate.It wears on the players when they see they will not get the close calls!

Poster’s first sentence literally says as much

As you can tell by reading the whole thread, I caught myself and followed it up with an honest answer. I don’t know if college umps ball and strikes are tracked.

Just computerize this function and get it over with. Should be easy to do and cheaper than those clowns they are using now. Since we are reviewing literally every fielding play thats close we don't need them either. Just review those plays from the box and call them down.

Just computerize this function and get it over with. Should be easy to do and cheaper than those clowns they are using now. Since we are reviewing literally every fielding play thats close we don't need them either. Just review those plays from the box and call them down.

This will never work. All sports outcomes are decided in Birmingham. 😛

This will never work. All sports outcomes are decided in Birmingham. 😛

All of the close plays are being reviewed and 50% of those are being overturned. Why do we need the humps on the field? Just have 1 to call the obvious, call for review on the close ones and computerize the balls and strikes.

All of the close plays are being reviewed and 50% of those are being overturned. Why do we need the humps on the field? Just have 1 to call the obvious, call for review on the close ones and computerize the balls and strikes.

I was joking. Look, I’m old. Baseball has been around a long time, replay comparatively is new. I don’t recall the exact scenario, but I believe, their player slid over the bag on a steal at 2B. Evan threw the ball and Lawson had to hop up. At the moment of the catch the runner was safe and Lawson reached down and tagged him anyway. He did his job. A lot of players don’t do that. The call on the field was Out and nothing on replay changed it.

Besides…who would we yell at?

We lost because the Notre Dame left hander was calm and pitched brilliantly.

Once he entered the game, it was lights out for the Vols.

Different twist than what you're searching for...but....MLB has a system that scores the home plant umps on balls / strikes. Umps are like players. They have good days and bad days against the system. That is just a part of the game.

The big guy (ump) who was behind the plate sun. was the guy who threw out coach Anderson when Gilbert let go with the F Bomb. I think every situation where there was a decision for him went to Notre Dame.Such as the batter getting in the strike zone to take a pitch on the arm,he was awarded 1st base.Friday Gilbert had the same thing,he was hit by a pitch and the ump made it a strike and put him back at the plate.It wears on the players when they see they will not get the close calls!
The 2 calls you refer to were called correctly. And they weren’t even remotely the same situation.

CFA was ejected as soon as his feet hit the ground outside the dugout. NCAA rule. Brought that on himself. And it ended up costing the baseball team dearly.

Yes - it does exist. I've only seen it for the pros though, can't find anything for the NCAA level.

Umpire Scorecards | Games

We lost because the Notre Dame left hander was calm and pitched brilliantly.

Once he entered the game, it was lights out for the Vols.

Different twist than what you're searching for...but....MLB has a system that scores the home plant umps on balls / strikes. Umps are like players. They have good days and bad days against the system. That is just a part of the game.
I agree. The lefty was the difference in the game IMO. He was outstanding!

The 2 calls you refer to were called correctly. And they weren’t even remotely the same situation.

CFA was ejected as soon as his feet hit the ground outside the dugout. NCAA rule. Brought that on himself. And it ended up costing the baseball team dearly.
How so? Gilbert shifted his weight and and checked his swing. In doing so, he was hit by an inside pitch. The ND batter checked his swing and in doing so brought his elbow into the strike zone. The pitch was high but over the plate. I may be wrong, but I don't think it's a HBP if the batter is struck in the strike zone.

How so? Gilbert shifted his weight and and checked his swing. In doing so, he was hit by an inside pitch. The ND batter checked his swing and in doing so brought his elbow into the strike zone. The pitch was high but over the plate. I may be wrong, but I don't think it's a HBP if the batter is struck in the strike zone.
If that it what you think you saw, then there is no need to continue the conversation.

VN Store

Back