Some Facts

Fact: We won the game.

Fact: We're 1-0.

Fact: Greatest improvement in a team is between Week 1 and Week 2.

Fact: We're about to shatter the attendance record for a football game, college or pro, with Va Tech.

Fact: Still three weeks before SEC play starts, plenty of time to "get minds right."

Fact: There's still a lot of talent on this team.

Fact: Most folks on VN think we'll go about 10-2 this season.

Fact: Believe it or not, we're still on track for that.

When you get a little distance from the internal workings of the App State game and look to the future, factually, things aren't so bad.

Think we're gonna be ok.

Go Vols!

Fact: we could lose both of the next two games and still win the East and the SEC..

Reactions: 1 person
Fact: in its first opportunity to show that this season would indeed be different, the team went out there and almost suffered one its worse losses in program history.

I get that people can now exhale, but I think they are entitled to grumble. It was a terrible showing

This

I'm sure sparty fans are in a panic :eek:lol:

I would def be more worried about a close win against Furman, than a close win verse App. St. Furman is a bad FCS team. App St. is prob a top 40 or higher team in FBS. Lets see how there game against Miami goes. Bet Appy wins.

The only thing that has stuck with me about the game, true or not, it appeared the Offense was not coached very well for this game. I am not saying Butch is on the hot seat, but if I was Hart, the first question: What happen? why would you risk the support of the fan base and/or alumni to go that vanilla to hide you scheme from VT? We are trying to bring in money, donors don't like being disappointed. Now all the pressure for this team has been essentially moved to the VT game. Damn Butch! I know your the coach, but this was bit of a miscalculation on your part to risk the confidence of this team, fans and your reputation to go light on App State.

Go Vols!

I don't think most fans are for the Debored hire

Fact: (opinion)

See, Gator, your intellectual problem is that you think "facts" involve opinions. You know you're in trouble when your "fact" has mealy-mouth, imprecise, and undefined words like "almost" and "one of," and subjective value statements like "terrible" and "worse".

If you wanna play the "facts:" game, you need to learn how to find real, cold, hard facts. But thanks for trying.

Reactions: 2 people
Fact: in its first opportunity to show that this season would indeed be different, the team went out there and almost suffered one its worse losses in program history.

I get that people can now exhale, but I think they are entitled to grumble. It was a terrible showing

I know I will get roasted for this since a lot of posters seem to think you bring something to this board but damn don't you have anything better to do besides bringing this sheet to a rival board!!

Reactions: 5 people

Fact: We're about to shatter the attendance record for a football game, college or pro, with Va Tech.

Fact: Still three weeks before SEC play starts, plenty of time to "get minds right."

When you get a little distance from the internal workings of the App State game and look to the future, factually, things aren't so bad.

Think we're gonna be ok.

Great post! This is how I have been looking at this game and its been tough seeing everyone jumping off the ledge..
Also, I want to apologize to you for making a snide reply to your post yesterday. It was the one about positives from the game and you said hold the horses on Medley, I believe. 99.9% of time I enjoy your posts!!

It's always a pleasure sharing info with you, Barry, even when we don't agree. :hi:

Based on nothing more than UT playing horribly and ASU playing out of their minds?

If what you say is even remotely true in year 4..... then Jones is NOT the guy.

I disagree that Appy State played out of their minds. Nothing they did in that game was wholly unbelievable. Never once did I say "holy cow, that's unbelievable" in reference to one of their plays (I said it plenty of times in reference to UT play). They just ran their plays and we seemed to have not a freaking clue.

After the bad taste that was left in everyone's mouth during the 2015 season, with all the national embarrassments, dont you figure CBJ and his staff would want to come and blow the doors off the competition in the first game to officially erase all those memories?

Instead we looked like a carbon copy of the previous years.

I, for one, dont buy all this "they were holding back" stuff. The team played to their abilities, which were sorely lacking.

So if youve been snake bitten by this team time and time again, how can you blame people who just saw that game against Appy State for being really really concerned that nothing has changed?

Fact: We won the game. (this is a fact)

Fact: We're 1-0. (this is a fact)

Fact: Greatest improvement in a team is between Week 1 and Week 2. (this is an opinion)

Fact: We're about to shatter the attendance record for a football game, college or pro, with Va Tech. (this is a fact. a completely irrelevant fact, but a fact)

Fact: Still three weeks before SEC play starts, plenty of time to "get minds right." (this is an opinion)

Fact: There's still a lot of talent on this team. (this is an opinion)

Fact: Most folks on VN think we'll go about 10-2 this season. (this is a fact based on opinion. also, pretty useless)

Fact: Believe it or not, we're still on track for that. (this is a fact)

Think we're gonna be ok.

Go Vols!

See, Gator, your intellectual problem is that you think "facts" involve opinions. You know you're in trouble when your "fact" has mealy-mouth, imprecise, and undefined words like "almost" and "one of," and subjective value statements like "terrible" and "worse".

If you wanna play the "facts:" game, you need to learn how to find real, cold, hard facts. But thanks for trying.

Since we are going to play the opinion/fact game.

Last edited:
Only unbelievable plays from Appy State were when they jumped on two fumbles at the end of the game and couldn't recover either.

Well, I'll give you this. You keep trying. You don't get it, but you do keep trying. :hi:

I get it. One week does not a season make. Totally agree. Have said so myself.

Where I have an issue is....I don't think it's appropriate to blow it off like it's not a reason for concern or to try to make Appy State out to be the 72 Dolphins

Reactions: 3 people

Think we're gonna be ok.

Go Vols!

Fact: QB and OL have not progressed any in 4 years.

Fact: Butch keeps Mahoney on staff and doesn't have a QB coach.

Fact: The offensive scheme demands that the talent be overwhelmingly better than the defense to be effective at all.

Fact: Butch has had opportunities to beat the worst UF teams in my 27 years of living and each time choked.

Fact: People on this site have no idea what it means to be calm and collected, or so nervous you literally go blank. In the last year, I've done plenty of the latter. I know the "Oh **** why is this happening nothing is going to plan" expression when I see one. And that was what Butch was on Thursday night.

Where I have an issue is....I don't think it's appropriate to blow it off like it's not a reason for concern or to try to make Appy State out to be the 72 Dolphins

Georgia Southern.

I like how people keep saying that some of us are looking at the result in a vacuum, when they're applying the same train of thought towards the future while disregarding anything that has happened in the past.

Georgia Southern.

People keep bringing this up to get under my skin, but let's look at it if you want.

A. We were pissed. And we would have been pissed if we had escaped with a win.

B. We were not a top 10 team with an expectation of a possible conference championship, maybe even a national championship.

C. That Florida team was 4-6 entering that game and finished 4-8.

A more accurate comparison would have been 2012 Florida-LA-Lafayette. Although, again, Florida didn't enter the season with the expectations Tennessee has. However, we were pissed. We were not happy. In that situation the team had quality wins under their belt to hang their hat on.

But, we all still freaked out and said said "what the hell".

And if you think Muschamp didn't have his doubters at that point in time due to results like that you are kidding yourself.

Georgia Southern.

That Florida team was decimated by injuries at that point in the season.

We were at full strength and were lucky to win.

Not to mention Florida has beaten us 11 years in a row.

I would def be more worried about a close win against Furman, than a close win verse App. St. Furman is a bad FCS team. App St. is prob a top 40 or higher team in FBS. Lets see how there game against Miami goes. Bet Appy wins.

Hope you're right! The only teams I like from Florida are ... wait a minute ... I don't like ANY team from Florida.

I have a buddy who is Louisville fan. They put up 70 on Thursday. Since he's also a big jackass I obviously get a Friday morning text "What happened last night?"

I text back : "We went 1-0"

Point is: Lot of bridge jumpers after only one game. I understand and have seen that many are the same who jumped a couple years back. Lots to be concerned about in the context of that one game - no doubt. But that doesn't mean it will carry over.

Your friends initials wouldn't be JP would they?

Think we're gonna be ok.

Go Vols!

Fact... Appy led for 3 quarters... Not good

VN Store

Back