Some annoying things I've noticed in last couple of years (football)...

Ft.MyersVols

Not sure where to post this, feel free to move...

I've watched football for a loooong time, but in the last few years I've noticed some really stupid (in my opinion) things:

1. "Get Back" coaches- you mean to tell me that coaches need babysitters to keep them on the sidelines? They make millions of dollars and don't have enough sense to stay on the sideline? Don't tell me they are too "into the game" to notice these things- it's stupid. The people who serve in these positions look ridiculous holding on to the pants of whatever coach they are assigned to. I'm watching Georgia-Baylor right now and UGA has at least 3 of them.
2. The athletic trainers (?) who sprint on to the field at every timeout to squirt water/Gatorade into the waiting mouths of the players. You mean to tell me that players can't do this for themselves? Yes, I've played football and I know it's not that difficult. Not sure what this position is, probably some poor intern or GA.
3. The big screens some teams use to hide their play calling signals/boards from the TV cameras or potential scouts in the stands. Come on, why do you need giant screens and boards to signal in and/or hide what you are calling?

Yeah, I know, I probably sound like a "get off my lawn" guy right now, really don't care. Anyone else have others (besides the one regarding some anonymous poster on a message board posting about annoying things)?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
at least the turnover trash can is gone from UT -- nothing was more annoying than that damn thing

Reactions: Plecoptera
87f69d0af09e556a244759b2ec726071.gif

Most of what you posted has been around almost 20 years now, if not longer. I've heard about "get back" coaches forever, George Plaster used to talk about them all the time even way back in the early 2000s and made fun of them. And same with trainers. Not sure on the boards but probably at least been around a decade.

I think it's you now noticing them.

Biggest pet peeves at the moment are some of the flags that get thrown for QB hits (a bigger problem in the NFL) and using reviews as a crutch. There are clearly some things that should be called a certain way on the field, but they are not because they know if they get it wrong they can overturn it on review. I'm all for getting the call right, but the amount of reviews now is excessive.

VN Store

Back