Softball Season has Started

Closing her eyes at and before the moment of release, does seem different....She has been very effective with this technique.....Her first TV game we will all be zeroed in on her eyes...

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Closing her eyes at and before the moment of release, does seem different....She has been very effective with this technique.....Her first TV game we will all be zeroed in on her eyes...
Yep but the wild pitches and walks are a concern but they threw her in the fire and she gave it her all for the LVs! She will be a good one when it is all said and done. I find it interesting that the staff shakeup has Karen in the 3rd base coaching box and Marty calling pitches, and Ralph making pitching changes. I did not get to watch any of the games so anyone who knows please answer: Did Karen every go to the mound and I know Brian Rice mentioned that Marty had gone once or twice. As many have mentioned Karen has often been accused of running off players such as Scarlett and Caylan and I remember Spigner as well. May be others and I said ACCUSED!

Reactions: MS_LdyVols_fan
I watched her pitch this weekend and the commentators talked about this so the camera crew zoomed in and got great shots of her closing her eyes. They said that it could hurt as balls driven at her and the possibility of either getting hit or not able to make plays. While zoomed in they showed that before each pitch she will breath while looking at catcher then right before she pitches she looks at the ground starts her pitch then right before releasing she then closes her eyes. She was speratic but when on she was very good.

I saw mainly Marty go out. I think I saw Ralph go too though did not see all games. I don’t know the dynamics of why. With Karen and Leach on the bases we are certainly more aggressive maybe overly so at this point.

Last edited:
On Turner it maybe overblowed since it is just for a split second. It is not like she has them closed the whole time. She also up to this point has maybe the best fielding reflexes of any recent pitcher we have had she fields well. I thought well you need to look at your target so I watched Ally set up with her. For whatever reason (probably to keep from location being stolen) Ally does not set a target for her maybe every pitcher so you would have to visualize where you were throwing it to anyway. Control is a work in progress but progress she has since fall.

Former pitcher here. If her eye-closing is anything like mine was, it’s less than a millisecond. It was actually a training technique. I visualized the target in my head in that millisecond and reaffirmed it with my eyes when they re-opened before my release. I wouldn’t recommend it, of course, in a real game or practice, and I tried to work out of it in my later years, but it didn’t seem to matter in the long run. Looking back and seeing it from the outside in now, I can see the concern. Hope she stays safe and healthy, but I’m sure she will.

Former pitcher here. If her eye-closing is anything like mine was, it’s less than a millisecond. It was actually a training technique. I visualized the target in my head in that millisecond and reaffirmed it with my eyes when they re-opened before my release. I wouldn’t recommend it, of course, in a real game or practice, and I tried to work out of it in my later years, but it didn’t seem to matter in the long run. Looking back and seeing it from the outside in now, I can see the concern. Hope she stays safe and healthy, but I’m sure she will.
Like your post. Reading thru above...…….I was wondering if she was "visualizing". I find myself doing that on different task from time to time!

Reactions: sccshortstop
On Turner it maybe overblowed since it is just for a split second. It is not like she has them closed the whole time. She also up to this point has maybe the best fielding reflexes of any recent pitcher we have had she fields well. I thought well you need to look at your target so I watched Ally set up with her. For whatever reason (probably to keep from location being stolen) Ally does not set a target for her maybe every pitcher so you would have to visualize where you were throwing it to anyway. Control is a work in progress but progress she has since fall.
From what I hear her fielding is excellent and I will jinx her I guess.

Yep but the wild pitches and walks are a concern but they threw her in the fire and she gave it her all for the LVs! She will be a good one when it is all said and done. I find it interesting that the staff shakeup has Karen in the 3rd base coaching box and Marty calling pitches, and Ralph making pitching changes. I did not get to watch any of the games so anyone who knows please answer: Did Karen every go to the mound and I know Brian Rice mentioned that Marty had gone once or twice. As many have mentioned Karen has often been accused of running off players such as Scarlett and Caylan and I remember Spigner as well. May be others and I said ACCUSED!

I can't speak for the resumption Tuesday because my flight back from Arizona was Tuesday morning and we couldn't change it, but in the 4 and a half games I called, Marty made every pitching visit, save for the time that Turner was hit on a comebacker, Ralph went out to make sure she was ok.

Regarding Turner closing her eyes, she fielded her position very well so it seems to have no effect.

I don't want to address rumors on here, I don't think that's a wise way for me to spend my time. But from where I've sat for the last 8 years, I would not agree with your last two sentences. Players leaving is a very personal thing and while we as fans want someone or something to blame. It's not usually that simple.

I can't speak for the resumption Tuesday because my flight back from Arizona was Tuesday morning and we couldn't change it, but in the 4 and a half games I called, Marty made every pitching visit, save for the time that Turner was hit on a comebacker, Ralph went out to make sure she was ok.

Regarding Turner closing her eyes, she fielded her position very well so it seems to have no effect.

I don't want to address rumors on here, I don't think that's a wise way for me to spend my time. But from where I've sat for the last 8 years, I would not agree with your last two sentences. Players leaving is a very personal thing and while we as fans want someone or something to blame. It's not usually that simple.
I do remember you saying Ralph went out to check on Callie because you were wondering why the ump got out his pencil and paper.
If you notice Brian I said accused! I always enjoy listening to you on the call! Thanks!

Brian, I really appreciate your contributions to this board and your broadcasting of the games. Keep up the good work. Really going to suck not being able to follow this weekend. I have gotten spoiled.

Brian, I really appreciate your contributions to this board and your broadcasting of the games. Keep up the good work. Really going to suck not being able to follow this weekend. I have gotten spoiled.

And it's going to kill me to not be there, the last three years the only games we haven't done were the ones that we couldn't be guaranteed power/internet at the field. Last year, the internet at the fields in PV was spotty for the teams that sent broadcasters and I couldn't use the 4G backup card down there, so we elected to not have me go. But we'll have the rest of the games on UTSports.com and the Tennessee Athletics app, and on AM 990 in Knoxville starting the first weekend in March as the basketball schedules allow.

And it's going to kill me to not be there, the last three years the only games we haven't done were the ones that we couldn't be guaranteed power/internet at the field. Last year, the internet at the fields in PV was spotty for the teams that sent broadcasters and I couldn't use the 4G backup card down there, so we elected to not have me go. But we'll have the rest of the games on UTSports.com and the Tennessee Athletics app, and on AM 990 in Knoxville starting the first weekend in March as the basketball schedules allow.
Once again appreciate your work and Ut supporting it.

On an unrelated LadyVol softball subject, I wanted to add that the LadyVol's new softball uniforms are really nifty. The use of pinstripes and addition of LadyVol logos are a welcome change. Anxious to see the whole catalog of new uniforms and color combinations when they start playing home games in Knoxville.

On an unrelated LadyVol softball subject, I wanted to add that the LadyVol's new softball uniforms are really nifty. The use of pinstripes and addition of LadyVol logos are a welcome change. Anxious to see the whole catalog of new uniforms and color combinations when they start playing home games in Knoxville.
Pinstripes are sweet.

Reactions: sccshortstop
As do I, @briancrice. This is kinda embarrassing, but I had to spend 35 days in the KCDF (penal farm/jail), because I fell behind on my child support payments, 3 or 4 years ago. The only time I forgot where I was for an hour or 2 was while listening to u calling the softball games and John Wilkerson calling the baseball games. Trust me, that's a huge compliment, because that's one place where u almost never forget where u are, so thank u. Btw, I learned my lesson and have not and never will fall behind on my payments, again

Wonder what happened to the Romero sisters. Flo made it a huge deal that they were trying out for the Mexican national team... Then not another peep about it.

VN Store

Back