Softball Season has Started

Nice way to get out of an inning....I kinda like how Bender throws...good body alignment stays on the power line....seems to lack a clear "out pitch" at this point.
She is not going to dominate but does not walk people. In baseball terms she is an innings eater which is valuable for a staff.

Yikes...just looked at our cumulative fielding stats: 16 errors through the first 7 games. Last year, we played error-free ball in our first 12 games and didn't record our 16th error until the 40th game in mid-April.

Last edited:
After reading this thread, one needs to be concerned about fundamentals, recruiting, and retention. In this day of the transfer portal all teams will have transfers, but you’re one injury away from disaster if you roll with the “Ace Pitcher” mentality. In this early season the best teams have had multiple “good” pitchers and sound fielders who can have the timely hit with RISP. Im a fan of multiple catchers and pitchers, maybe its my tournament mentality from playing 6-7 games a weekend with limited rosters. You have to know your opponent and trust your bats to win it when you’re resting your best players. The Weeklys may have used some of this line of thinking to some degree, but coming out with 3-4 losses all while riding your perceived starters is concerning. It would’ve been an excellent time to see if you had some gamers and get some exposure to this level for a kid you may need in a month or so.

Jmo

Yikes...just looked at our cumulative fielding stats: 16 errors through the first 7 games. Last year, we played error-free ball in our first 12 games and didn't record our 16th error until game No. 40 in mid-April.
It is mind boggling. The scary part watching these games in one fashion or another is the stats don't reflex all the errors we have made. Morgan and Turner have both pretty much fielded everything their way (Turner did not check a runner at third yesterday but got an out). Ally had a couple of hiccups in the Utah game but otherwise has been excellent. The others have shown they can field at a high level. It has come down now to the "yips". (the colloquial term for a sudden and unexplained loss of skills in experienced athletes) Hopefully they can flush that out of their systems and play clean ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: volinjax
It is mind boggling. The scary part watching these games in one fashion or another is the stats don't reflex all the errors we have made. Morgan and Turner have both pretty much fielded everything their way (Turner did not check a runner at third yesterday but got an out). Ally had a couple of hiccups in the Utah game but otherwise has been excellent. The others have shown they can field at a high level. It has come down now to the "yips". (the colloquial term for a sudden and unexplained loss of skills in experienced athletes) Hopefully they can flush that out of their systems and play clean ball.
Yes and some of the mental errors seem more than in the past even our experienced players. The Elish girl last night was a stud pitcher and she made us look silly. I still do not see a leader on this team and most think Seggren is or will be but I really think it may be Ashley when she gets on the field. We expect a lot from her and should let her play her way into shape I believe. Concentration last night was lacking and we came close to quitting I thought. Even Amanda Ayala missed a easy fly ball down the right field line. We will be ok I think in the long run if Ashley gets back in early March and we have a young bulldog in Callie who finally wore out last night. She may be a stud pitcher at some point but she looks to never be a quitter!! JMHO as always! ss

Can someone give me the short version of the pummeling last night against Texas? :( Missed the game, was in route to Cherokee and couldn’t watch. Not much service here.

Short and sweet version was Milloy started was a little off then a dump truck load of errors and with Elish pitching for Texas it was over before it started. Bender came in and gave some decent innings.

Short story errors got them i think it was the first 2 runs and they took care of the rest! Really look tired and not much energy.AA got the only hit but she had an error as well. Put CS back at 3rd and Philliips at short lasted a bat or two and they switched back and errors on both. Jenna steped out of the box on a hit . Callie did her best and she just wore out. Relief not very good last night.

VN Store

Back