Soccer & Vollyball are busy again this weekend 9/5 - 9/8

StrangeVol

Thursday, Soccer gets the ball rolling with a home match at Regal Soccer Stadium @ 7:00 p.m. vs Southeastern Louisianna. Lots of free stuff like parking, admissions, and free pizza for the first 200 fans to arrive. SECN+ has TV coverage.

Friday the Volleyball ladies are in East Lansing MI to participate in Michigan State's tournament with the first of two Friday matches at 10:15 a.m. vs Cincinnati. Their second match is at 5:00 p.m. vs Miami of Ohio. Neither match will be televised as far as I can determine. I'll keep checking.

Saturday the Volleyballers match up against host Michigan State @ 1:30 with TV coverage via a pay site, likely the Big10 network. There is also some talk about a football game. I wonder if our team will decide to play? (No, I am NOT a Jeremy Pruitt fan, never have been)

Sunday in Knoxville it's back to Soccer with our side taking on Cincinnati at RSS at 1:00 p.m. TV via SECN+, no word about promotions at the Stadium.

So that's it for the 4 day weekend, we should get some wins by both teams. Also, I'm thinking of sending out a search and rescue team for the Volleyball team...they've been gone way too long! The bad news is that they won't be home anytime soon as they next go to Waco TX for a small tournament. Maybe they'll come home after that. :)

Don't forget the soccer match his evening (Thursday). A good crowd would be appreciated!

Reactions: MAD
Great match. Did not see Katie at all. Reason? 2-0

I was wondering about Katie as well. Did I hear something a week or so back about a slight hamstring pull? Maybe just resting her and letting the youngsters get some time on the pitch. You could sure tell she wasn't in the middle though. She just does so many little things that don't show up in the box score but you miss them when they're not there.

Loved Pensky getting a yellow card, it would have been funny if he weren't right about the lousy call.

It was a good match...and that kind of bothers me a little. I'm beginning to wonder where our scoring is going to come from night in and night out. Oh well, I'm probably worrying.... when there is no need...but still...

I was wondering about Katie as well. Did I hear something a week or so back about a slight hamstring pull? Maybe just resting her and letting the youngsters get some time on the pitch. You could sure tell she wasn't in the middle though. She just does so many little things that don't show up in the box score but you miss them when they're not there.

Loved Pensky getting a yellow card, it would have been funny if he weren't right about the lousy call.

It was a good match...and that kind of bothers me a little. I'm beginning to wonder where our scoring is going to come from night in and night out. Oh well, I'm probably worrying.... when there is no need...but still...
I as you tend to worry about the scoring as well and really think we need to worry until we don't! I have noticed that a concern I had last year was team speed. I think we have more this year and looks to be a plus from all the first year players. On to VB early in the morning!

I searched everywhere this morning to see if there was a TV option for our volleyball matches today. No joy. Best we're gonna get is LiveStats unless you have Hulu or Playstation VUE as both should carry Big10Network+. :(

In regard to the 10:15 match this morning I gotta ask; do college girls even get up that early? ;)

I searched everywhere this morning to see if there was a TV option for our volleyball matches today. No joy. Best we're gonna get is LiveStats unless you have Hulu or Playstation VUE as both should carry Big10Network+. :(

In regard to the 10:15 match this morning I gotta ask; do college girls even get up that early? ;)
I will say what I remember as a male: Yes they do and go back home!! :p

Reactions: volnationnj
WOW!!! I don't know how this is happening by if you go to the UT Sports web site and then to Volleyball and click on Video you'll see the Big10+ live broadcast of our match against Cincinnati!

Update: I've been watching for a few minutes and the audio is far ahead of the video score. At the moment we are trailing 18 - 15 if you believe the audio and not the on-screen score or Live Stats.

Well...we lost the first set...we honestly don't look very lively. Maybe the girls aren't awake yet?

In the first set, Cincinnati hits at .577% and we hit at .250%. that is not going to get it done.

We lose the second set 25-19..they hit at .444% and we hit at .206%. What is wrong with our girls???

Last edited:
We got swept...and looked bad doing it. Cincinnati is a lot better volleyball team than I imagined. We couldn't have played worse today. We'll see if we recover by the afternoon match.

This is a BAD loss. :(

We got swept...and looked bad doing it. Cincinnati is a lot better volleyball team than I imagined. We couldn't have played worse today. We'll see if we recover by the afternoon match.

This is a BAD loss. :(
And we may be not as good as I had hoped! I was wrong they never got out of the bed wherever that may have been. Looked sloppy!

Reactions: StrangeVol
Don't get too disheartened yet, Eve Rackham truly laying the hammer down on this team with the scheduling! Cincinnati is a very good team that has possibly the best attacker in the country in Jordan Thompson. She's good enough that she might be on the Olympic team in Tokyo next summer. 26 kills on 48 swings is an outrageous stat line and even if you know the ball is going to her she's smart enough to still get it around the block. That being said looking at the box score there are some areas Tennessee needs to cleanup. Too many unforced errors in attack and bad serve receive are leading to aces for the other team. Also it has been said before but somebody is going to have to take some pressure off of Tessa Grubbs if this season is going to be successful. Fingall, Felts, and Mahaffey have potential but they need consistency. Tough loss but they can close with two wins against Miami of Ohio and Michigan State!

True about Cincinnati and Thompson. South Carolina, a solid team last year, succumbed to Cincinnati in 4 sets last weekend. However, Pitt laid it on Cincy in 3 sets, so....mixed reviews.

One has to wonder how much umph was taken out of our ladies losing twice last weekend to the same team after having such high aspirations preseason.

Don't get too disheartened yet, Eve Rackham truly laying the hammer down on this team with the scheduling! Cincinnati is a very good team that has possibly the best attacker in the country in Jordan Thompson. She's good enough that she might be on the Olympic team in Tokyo next summer. 26 kills on 48 swings is an outrageous stat line and even if you know the ball is going to her she's smart enough to still get it around the block. That being said looking at the box score there are some areas Tennessee needs to cleanup. Too many unforced errors in attack and bad serve receive are leading to aces for the other team. Also it has been said before but somebody is going to have to take some pressure off of Tessa Grubbs if this season is going to be successful. Fingall, Felts, and Mahaffey have potential but they need consistency. Tough loss but they can close with two wins against Miami of Ohio and Michigan State!

I thought our floor defense was way below its typical level. A lot fewer digs than we usually see. I looked at the stats in our three losses and we lost in almost every statistical category. In one way you'd kind of expect to lose many of the categories but (almost) all of them? We just don't seem to have found our footing so far this season. On the other hand, I am hopeful we will get on script more and more as the season progresses.

We are making a bit of a comeback but this team does not look like the team that played against Illinois...we played WAY better even though we lost.

Reactions: sccshortstop
Okay...a comeback win....25-20. :)

I think how ell we do relates directly to both sides of the service. When we are serving aggressively we make it hard for the other team to stay in system. When we receive poorly, which is often the case, we are easily taken out of system and are exposed. We really need to work hard on service...both ends of it.

I went to their live chat and ask if they could get the score fixed. Always helpful, they replied that I'd have to have a Big10+ subscription. Unfreakin'believable!)

VN Store

Back