Soccer tonight (Friday) at the gators place...6:00 p.m.

StrangeVol

I almost let this match slip by me, hopefully, the ladies will be more awake than I was. :) TV via SECNetwork. Florida is on a 3 game losing streak and is 1-3-1 overall. Looks like a win could be had tonight...we'll see.

Should be up by more than one at the half. Not sure how we were offside on the one goal.

Boy this team would be something if we had Bunny in the middle of our attack.

I thought we played very well in the first half and part of the second half. We were aggressive, kept the ball in their third, played sticky defense, and kept the pressure on. I think we got robbed on our first (disallowed) goal but we just kept our heads up and scored again.

Florida tried to give us a dose of our own medicine in the second half but we hung tough got another goal and then took of foot off the gas. It almost cost us as Florida kept firing away, scored once, and had several other close misses. I'm really excited by how well Claudia Dipisupil is playing. She's small but she has no give or quit in her.

Congratulations to our "emergency keeper!" Playing without a clue she did a darn good job. Wish I knew her name. :)

We now stand 2nd in the East and 3rd overall at 3-1-1.

Reactions: kregman
I thought we played very well in the first half and part of the second half. We were aggressive, kept the ball in their third, played sticky defense, and kept the pressure on. I think we got robbed on our first (disallowed) goal but we just kept our heads up and scored again.

Florida tried to give us a dose of our own medicine in the second half but we hung tough got another goal and then took of foot off the gas. It almost cost us as Florida kept firing away, scored once, and had several other close misses. I'm really excited by how well Claudia Dipisupil is playing. She's small but she has no give or quit in her.

Congratulations to our "emergency keeper!" Playing without a clue she did a darn good job. Wish I knew her name. :)

We now stand 2nd in the East and 3rd overall at 3-1-1.
I watched all but the first goal and pretty satisfied with most of match, less the last 10 minutes. Trying not to lose nearly caused us to make it way too close and i was never very calm! What was the deal with the keepers? Where is the backup?

It was never expained exactly how we were offside with the ball coming off the keeper. How does a team not have a backup goalie? If the announcers were right our goalie who is not a goalie had not played in three years. Romig arm is still hanging so she is probably done for the fall. Who would have thought if we beat South Carolina somehow we will win the East.

Reactions: StrangeVol
It was never expained exactly how we were offside with the ball coming off the keeper. How does a team not have a backup goalie? If the announcers were right our goalie who is not a goalie had not played in three years. Romig arm is still hanging so she is probably done for the fall. Who would have thought if we beat South Carolina somehow we will win the East.
The backup goalie Charley Pogang (sp) is still on roaster but does not show her having a number! Glad for the young lady who filled in but she certainly did not look like a goalie. She is listed as a senior so who knows. Kind of like one year we had to go in the stand for a kicker in football. I would love to know the story of goalie gate!!

Last edited:
Tennessee goalkeeper Jenna Rolfe made her college soccer debut Friday night after being added to the roster midweek. The Nashville native played all 90 minutes between the posts, facing 11 shots and recording a save in her first match for the Lady Vols.

"Hats off to Jenna Rolfe, who hadn't touched a soccer ball since 2016," Pensky said. "She is now 1-0 as an SEC goalkeeper. We are excited to get back home and play for an SEC East Championship next Friday."

As StrangeVol noted Claudia Dipisupil had a very good night with the great goal and the assist. She should have probably had more especially in the first half with all the corner kicks.

As I understand it, she opted out for the season probably due to the C19 threat.
Was not sure and thanks! Still think we needed a more athletic keeper than the young lady last night. Brave of her but i would think we have another player who had played in 3 years ready especially when the keeper was injured.

Reactions: kregman
Goalkeeper is a very different skill set than most soccer players have. I'm not sure but I imagine that Rolfe was a high school/travel soccer goalkeeper and had a grasp of the basics of goalkeeping, but just not the skills to play at a high level. In a pinch, a high school goalkeeper, even with limited abilities, would be better than a regular soccer player with a very limited grasp of even the basics of goalkeeping. That's my guess as to why Coach Pensky put her in goal.

Goalkeeper is a very different skill set than most soccer players have. I'm not sure but I imagine that Rolfe was a high school/travel soccer goalkeeper and had a grasp of the basics of goalkeeping, but just not the skills to play at a high level. In a pinch, a high school goalkeeper, even with limited abilities, would be better than a regular soccer player with a very limited grasp of even the basics of goalkeeping. That's my guess as to why Coach Pensky put her in goal.
Hopefully Lindsey Romig will be ready to play against South Carolina. Otherwise the LadyVols have no chance of winning the match. You don't beat a team ranked in the top ten with an inexperienced goalkeeper.

Actually i read somewhere she was but for us to be over half way through the season and with the other girl opting out most likely months ago i still believe there had to someone more athletic as a backup. She gave it her all but i cant see her as a keeper in HS either. This is just my opinion which is seldom different than your in most everything LV. I coached soccer and i know you most likely have longer than i just reading your game analysis each match, which i always look forward to! Goalies are too valuable to not be ready if the injury bug hits as it does to us often. Agree to disagree is ok by me.

VN Store

Back