Soccer this evening against Mercer!

I know football gets most of the love, but for me the most anticipated events are the soccer matches and exhibitions. For one, I just enjoy the sport and the effort these ladies put into it. But they also start earlier - acting as the official heralds of not only the start of the UT sport calendar (all of which I enjoy), but also impending arrival of Autumn. Sweet, sweet Autumn.

But I digress.... Go Vols!

I know football gets most of the love, but for me the most anticipated events are the soccer matches and exhibitions. For one, I just enjoy the sport and the effort these ladies put into it. But they also start earlier - acting as the official heralds of not only the start of the UT sport calendar (all of which I enjoy), but also impending arrival of Autumn. Sweet, sweet Autumn.

But I digress.... Go Vols!

You'll get no argument from me...soccer is THE "beautiful game" no matter if it's played by men or women. I just love the game and we are blessed to have a very good coach and some really talented players. I also enjoy volleyball. I love the quick pace of play and the jousts at the net and again we are blessed with a top-notch coach and some truly talented players Fun Stuff!

My purpose in posting here about these two underappreciated sports is, put simply, to spread a little love their way. :)

Michelle Alozie...good, aggressive player...Yale transfer....smart too...you left Yale for us...:D

GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coach is doing a lot of subbing...nice...was wondering how he was gonna handle all that talent...:D

GO LADY VOLS!

these ladies have been so close...I feel sorry for some of the future opponents...NOT!!!!!!!!!

GO LADY VOLS!

Roller with the play by play...good job ole pal! :)

They say any win is a good win and this falls into that category...it was a good win. On the other hand, with a couple of exceptions, we were not sharp. Lots of poor passing especially in the first half and we just seemed sluggish for the most part. You could tell Katie was frustrated with some of the "youngsters" on a few occasions as was our "energizer bunny" MA Vignola. I can't believe how many shots on goal we missed...but it's early...we'll get sharper as the youngsters gain some experience and our older players get settled into playing with a lot of new faces.

Speaking of new faces, I really like how Coach Pensky is throwing them into the deep end and making them swim. The only way to get experience is to play...and show what you can do under the bright lights. The talent is raw and not used to the speed of the college game...but they'll catch on...hopefully, sooner rather than later. Oh, for what it's worth, I like Lindsey Roming in goal better than Charli Pogany...Roming seems to provide more of a presence and communicates pretty well with her defenders, but it's early yet.

Congrats to Coach Pensky on winning his 150th. Let's push that total up a good bit this year Coach! :)

Fordham and Mercer may not be SEC or above quality, but the way the newcomers have looked against them has been very promising. This freshman class has looked really special even with the expected freshman mistakes, and we haven't even seen Giselle Washington or Jaida Thomas who were rated pretty highly. Here's what I saw from newcomers in each area of the field.

Goalkeepers: Out of the two I really like how Romig looked compared to Pogany (who still looked good). I like how Romig has a great vocal presence already and a great physical presence with her height. She seems very in control of herself even for a freshman.

Defense: Boy do I love how much quality we have in our backline. French and Neal are already established as the consistent leaders; but Mackenzie George, Mackenzie Ostrom, and Maria Nelson all had great games this weekend! George and Nelson both did great defending and springing forward for attacks and connecting well with our wingers. Ostrom may not be a newcomer, but it's the first time she had extended minutes and was rock solid both games.

Midfield: With how much we lost in our attack from last season, midfield and forwards were definitely question marks, those questions got some good answers this weekend. Isabella Cook and Sonia Ouchene-Salon both have very high ceilings and can be a very dangerous duo for years to come in the attack. Both are very offensive-minded players who look like they'll be able to work in tight spaces and link passes to fuel our attack. Claudia Dipasupil and Tara Katz off the bench also provided awesome minutes off the bench!

Forwards: BIGGEST question mark and from what I saw it may not be as high-powered as last year, but still pretty good. Vignola, Jordan, and Thompson were all great this weekend (if Thompson can work on her finishing, watch out). Michelle Alozie and Alicia Donley were the main newcomers that I saw really show something. Alozie I can see why she was so successful at Yale; strong with her back towards the defender, good shot, and smart enough to put herself in the right spots to score. Donley is just a straight-up bulldog who is always hunting for her shot and doesn't care who's in her path to do so. To put up 5 shots in about 60 minutes of action as a freshman in your first weekend is impressive.

Fordham and Mercer may not be SEC or above quality, but the way the newcomers have looked against them has been very promising. This freshman class has looked really special even with the expected freshman mistakes, and we haven't even seen Giselle Washington or Jaida Thomas who were rated pretty highly. Here's what I saw from newcomers in each area of the field.

Goalkeepers: Out of the two I really like how Romig looked compared to Pogany (who still looked good). I like how Romig has a great vocal presence already and a great physical presence with her height. She seems very in control of herself even for a freshman.

Defense: Boy do I love how much quality we have in our backline. French and Neal are already established as the consistent leaders; but Mackenzie George, Mackenzie Ostrom, and Maria Nelson all had great games this weekend! George and Nelson both did great defending and springing forward for attacks and connecting well with our wingers. Ostrom may not be a newcomer, but it's the first time she had extended minutes and was rock solid both games.

Midfield: With how much we lost in our attack from last season, midfield and forwards were definitely question marks, those questions got some good answers this weekend. Isabella Cook and Sonia Ouchene-Salon both have very high ceilings and can be a very dangerous duo for years to come in the attack. Both are very offensive-minded players who look like they'll be able to work in tight spaces and link passes to fuel our attack. Claudia Dipasupil and Tara Katz off the bench also provided awesome minutes off the bench!

Forwards: BIGGEST question mark and from what I saw it may not be as high-powered as last year, but still pretty good. Vignola, Jordan, and Thompson were all great this weekend (if Thompson can work on her finishing, watch out). Michelle Alozie and Alicia Donley were the main newcomers that I saw really show something. Alozie I can see why she was so successful at Yale; strong with her back towards the defender, good shot, and smart enough to put herself in the right spots to score. Donley is just a straight-up bulldog who is always hunting for her shot and doesn't care who's in her path to do so. To put up 5 shots in about 60 minutes of action as a freshman in your first weekend is impressive.

That is some impressive work UTKVolsfan! Glad to have somebody post here who really understands the game and knows how to analyze. Keep up the good work! :)

Yes. Hope you both stay involved in keeping us updated. Good reads and appreciated.
SV#1

Reactions: RollerVol
thanks SV...just piggybacked on your thread...guess I had to post something...sure was glad to see some pretty good talent on the field...I just leave it to others to break it down like you or 2013 (nice job by the way)...I'm just a fan...:D:D

GO LADY VOLS!

VN Store

Back