So who do you hire?

WNBA coaches don't get a lot of love here. There are some very good ones, Stephanie White notwithstanding. And I suspect most are paid considerably less than UT is currently paying. Consider Nickie Collen, whom I mentioned in another thread: current WNBA Coach of the Year, her team exceeded everyone's expectations but their own. Only one year as a head coach, but considerable experience as an assistant coach. Her Mechanical Engineering degree suggests an analytical mind which will have no problem understanding various offensive and defensive schemes.
There are others as well. Curt Miller and Mike Thibault are excellent coaches, and Bill Laimbeer, a champion as a player and a coach.
Indiana Fever assistant coach Gail Goestenkors who coached a long time at Duke and Texas would be a great hire for Tennessee

I saw that on the NCAA site in their bylaws. I may have misread it or Miss quoted it but I think I caught it correctly
Yes Jumper, that is the way I read the rule. Makes sense that you would lose a year if you did not honor the signed letter.

Personally, I'd be fine with Tennessee hiring a man if they have done their very best to give a woman the opportunity first. I would PREFER the next coach to be a woman because, IMO, one of Pat Summitt's most important, most enduring legacies is all the effort she gave to empower young women. She would scoff at the idea of coaching men -- though she very well could have been successful doing so -- because, primarily, she didn't want anyone to disrespect women with the implication that coaching men is the REAL triumph, and that coaching women is just... a fun little thing to do while you hope to get something better.

Pat was a leader for women in the Title IX fight, and made it pretty much her life's work to empower, to enrich, to teach and encourage young girls to grow into strong WOMEN.

So, to me, it seems like giving one of the most coveted jobs in all of women's college athletics to a man if there's a strong woman out there to give it to, would kinda feel like a wasted opportunity to reward a strong woman -- something Pat would have very likely appreciated.

Now, don't get me wrong. Pat's ultimate goal was for her SON to take the reins one day, and, obviously, he's not a woman. But I fully believe that, now that he's out of the picture, that in her heart of hearts Pat would want a woman to continue to build on her legacy of Strong Women Helping Build Future Strong Women.

And with ALLLLLLL that said, I'm also fairly certain that Pat wouldn't be so stubborn about it that she would have an absolute moratorium on hiring a man. I think she'd be just fine with it and supportive of whomever he was -- as long as everyone had given women a fair shake first.

And you might be thinking, "Phil should hire the BEST CANDIDATE AVAILABLE, regardless of gender!" And I'd agree. But I'd also remind everyone that "best candidate available" is a highly subjective term, and, being that, makes it easy for some people to inadvertently allow personal biases into their thought processes. I say this because I personally know a couple of budding misogynists who would rather be poked in the eye with a sharp, flaming stick than admit that there could even remotely be a qualified female candidate out there.

My bottom line? Make a strong effort to hire a woman. But if a man rises so high above the female candidates in his list of qualifications, then hire the man. I'm just excited to see what ANYONE else will do next with the talent she/he will have available!

I stopped reading after "done their very best to give a woman the opportunity first". Hire the best coach available. Could not care less if male or female, I went to school (UT would not allow my choice of major because "the professors would not accept a girl in that curriculum"), did NOT (as in not allowed) play sports, and entered the workforce when women were discriminated against, just because, you know. All I've ever asked for is an equal chance and fair treatment. If you want to hire me because I'm good, well I am. If you want to hire me because I'm a woman, stuff it. LVs and UT need the best coach possible. (That said, I did go back and read your post. Some really good points.)

Yes Jumper, that is the way I read the rule. Makes sense that you would lose a year if you did not honor the signed letter.

We still need to lose a person from this establishment
Lose the right one and we will keep the rest

Yes, I know we won the game
But I also remember the season

I stopped reading after "done their very best to give a woman the opportunity first". Hire the best coach available. Could not care less if male or female, I went to school (UT would not allow my choice of major because "the professors would not accept a girl in that curriculum"), did NOT (as in not allowed) play sports, and entered the workforce when women were discriminated against, just because, you know. All I've ever asked for is an equal chance and fair treatment. If you want to hire me because I'm good, well I am. If you want to hire me because I'm a woman, stuff it. LVs and UT need the best coach possible. (That said, I did go back and read your post. Some really good points.)
There are such important societal discussions surrounding affirmative action. Understandable need to help discriminated-against minorities get a fair break, but does doing so discriminate against the majority? Can the majority even be discriminated against? Is it ever time to walk back the special rules? Who decides when the oppressed minority has caught up, if ever?

Since that stuff gives me a headache, simply and selfishly speaking in this case I just want the very best possible choice for this crucial hire regardless of gender. Can be gender fluid for all I care. Don't want to eliminate out of hand a big portion of available possibilities on the basis of gender.

I often hear defenders of a female-only or female-first hiring say or imply its what Pat would want. But Pat hired male coaches all the time - Matthew Mitchell, Al Brown, Dean Lockwood. Apparently it was her dream to bring Tyler on as an assistant, possibly to groom him for sucession? Do we think male assistants are OK but not in the big chair?

Reactions: orangealways
Yes, I know we won the game
But I also remember the season

I believe Austen had a comment relevant to this. Something to the effect that a short memory may be to one's benefit. I'm working on a short term memory 😁😁.

Last edited:
Tennessee isn't a rebuild project, they have the talent to be a final four team with the current roster and incoming recruits. It's the perfect opportunity for a coach who can actually coach but is at a school that doesnt have funding or name recognition to get top kids. Recruiting gets a heck of a lot easier when you're selling Tennessee to kids instead of selling a mid major.
What needs to be rebuilt is the players learning how to win. If you think you will change coaches, toll the balls out and compete with the top 6 teams, you really don't understand what it takes to win at the top level. Perhaps you became too used to the days when HCPS had the only show in town. Recruiting is just the first step. Developing them is what is required.

Yes I’ve been saying so the last two years. Me and a friend talk about it weekly. She doesn’t hold players accountable. She’s more of an assistant coach for an intense coach. Kinda like the mom the child goes to for the hugs and kisses after dad has given tough love.

Kara Lawson would be a great coach.
There would be folks lining up to interview for the position

Yes I’ve been saying so the last two years. Me and a friend talk about it weekly. She doesn’t hold players accountable. She’s more of an assistant coach for an intense coach. Kinda like the mom the child goes to for the hugs and kisses after dad has given tough love.

Kara Lawson would be a great coach.
There would be folks lining up to interview for the position

if that`s the case not holding players accountable, You have a coach on the bench that all the players and former players know that will chew your A** out and we have seen her in action Bridgette Gordon. Kara Lawson had a lot of positive things to say about Gordon. Plus i`m not sure Kara would want the job she sounds like she happy with her current job.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
1)Jeff Walz head coach Louisville
2)Katie Meier head coach Miami
3)Wes Moore head coach NCSU
4)Vic Schaefer head coach Miss State
5)Scott Rueck head coach Oregon State
6)Carol Owens Notre Dame associate head coach
I would substitute Mark Campbell of Union University for Carol Owens. Please, please, please, no more unproven associate or assistant coaches.

Reactions: kxtop
So Fulmer has to earn his money with this one. We all know Fulmer and Holly are friends and firing or asking Holly to resign is a huge decision for him. But, bigger yet, is who does he hire? The lady vol program is obviously steeped with history and needs a second "Summitt" like coach. So who is it that can legitimately bring the Lady Vols back to prominence? Who can make them competitive with Uconn, Baylor and ND? Who can make the SEC their stepping stone to the NCAA again?

I agree a change needs to be made, but if your Fulmer, who is the "magic bullet"?

Listen folks Fulmer, is paid the big bucks to RUN the Athletics. If he can't or won't he needs to be out like Warlick.

So Fulmer has to earn his money with this one. We all know Fulmer and Holly are friends and firing or asking Holly to resign is a huge decision for him. But, bigger yet, is who does he hire? The lady vol program is obviously steeped with history and needs a second "Summitt" like coach. So who is it that can legitimately bring the Lady Vols back to prominence? Who can make them competitive with Uconn, Baylor and ND? Who can make the SEC their stepping stone to the NCAA again?

I agree a change needs to be made, but if your Fulmer, who is the "magic bullet"?

who can they???? hmmmmmm let me think hmmmmmmmmmmm.....CANDANCE PARKER CANDANCE PARKER....CANDANCE PARKER.......THATS A NO BRAINER...SEND HOLLY PACKING.... QUICK

VN Store

Back